MO.
✟249,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The word “sanctify” has the same sense as holy and consecrate. There is that which man can sanctify, and there is that which God sanctifies. Man’s sanctification is the esteeming of self or something apart for God. God sanctifies believers apart from unbelievers and is why the believer is holy, or conversely, it matters not because the imputed things of God enter simultaneously. Thus we can “sanctify God in your heart” (1Pe 3:15) because He has sanctified us. God’s sanctification of man enables the power—not to become holy, righteous or justified—but to manifest (walk in) their presence!

All of these godly attributes are fully imputed at the point of regeneration (rebirth), and therefore needs no additions. Faith, on the other hand is a gift that is imparted and not imputed, thus faith can and will increase (in quality not quantity) in those reborn. The work of God imputing godliness within is manifested by the walk of the believer without!
NC

“Sanctify Them”

“Sanctify them through thy truth” (Jhn 17:17). It is the Word of God applied to judge every thought and feeling that is in me. He does not say, “Sanctify them by the law,” but by the Word. Persons take the law as their rule of life, but you want enablement; you want an object that seizes your affections.

What object does the law give you? Where is the thing, and the One you are to love? Where is He? Who is He? The law cannot and does not tell me, save of a Judge: I have no object before my soul to give me blessed and holy affections; but the Father’s Word does give me this. “As thou hast sent Me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world. And for their sakes I sanctify Myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth” (Jhn 17:18, 19). Now I get something by means of the Word: it is the Lord Jesus Himself who is the substance of all that the Word speaks about.

Therefore, the Lord Jesus says, as regards His place, “For their sakes I sanctify Myself.” He has gone up to glory, and there sets Himself apart as the object for our hearts. The Holy Spirit reveals Him to me, and the Word is the revelation of all that is in the Lord Jesus; it brings to me all that He is: “Sanctify them through Thy truth.” How? I have now got an object: it is the truth, which will judge everything that is in my heart. This it is that sanctifies me, by showing me the One whom I love, Who has said that I am going to be like Him.

The Lord Jesus has got hold of my heart, has given me a place with Himself and has fitted me for it by the revelation of Himself to my heart. And besides this place, I get the Holy Spirit sent down, taking of the things of Christ, and showing them to me (Jhn 16:13); revealing to me that He has given me what He has and is, that I may have it with Him, and that I may be like Him. The Lord Jesus Himself is mine, and I am His. He is the perfect and blessed Man set apart in the presence of the Father; and that, transported into my heart in the living power that it has in me through the Spirit, sets me apart to my Father.

It is the truth that sanctifies me; but if I look at what the truth is perfectly, it is the Lord Jesus. We “beholding the glory of the Lord, with unveiled face, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.” “For their sakes I sanctify Myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth.” “I have declared unto them Thy name, and will declare it; that the love wherewith Thou hast loved Me may be in them, and I in them.”

We get the present knowledge that we are loved as the Lord Jesus is loved. There is the place in which He places the believer now. All being founded upon the work that He has done, and upon His being thus in the presence of the Father, Who put us in this Himself; hence we can say, I know that I am loved as my Father loves His beloved Son. It is not enough for the Father to give His Son for us, but He places us in the same position and loves us with the same love.

If we grieve the Holy Spirit we may not enjoy the fellowship of that love; but there is the place in which the Lord Jesus has set us to stand with His Father and our Father, His God and our God (Jhn 20:17), and to enjoy Him who is the truth, and who gives us the consciousness of being loved as He Himself is loved. It will be manifested before the world when He comes to receive us, but it is ours now.

— J N Darby

MJS Devotional: None But The Hungry Heart

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The word “sanctify” has the same sense as holy and consecrate.

God’s sanctification of man enables the power—not to become holy, righteous or justified—but to manifest (walk in) their presence!
Doesn't His sanctifying accomplish both?
Making us holy, consecrated, righteous, justified AND to able walk in Their presence?

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The word “sanctify” has the same sense as holy and consecrate. There is that which man can sanctify, and there is that which God sanctifies. Man’s sanctification is the esteeming of self or something apart for God. God sanctifies believers apart from unbelievers and is why the believer is holy, or conversely, it matters not because the imputed things of God enter simultaneously. Thus we can “sanctify God in your heart” (1Pe 3:15) because He has sanctified us. God’s sanctification of man enables the power—not to become holy, righteous or justified—but to manifest (walk in) their presence!

All of these godly attributes are fully imputed at the point of regeneration (rebirth), and therefore needs no additions. Faith, on the other hand is a gift that is imparted and not imputed, thus faith can and will increase (in quality not quantity) in those reborn. The work of God imputing godliness within is manifested by the walk of the believer without!
NC

“Sanctify Them”

“Sanctify them through thy truth” (Jhn 17:17). It is the Word of God applied to judge every thought and feeling that is in me. He does not say, “Sanctify them by the law,” but by the Word. Persons take the law as their rule of life, but you want enablement; you want an object that seizes your affections.

What object does the law give you? Where is the thing, and the One you are to love? Where is He? Who is He? The law cannot and does not tell me, save of a Judge: I have no object before my soul to give me blessed and holy affections; but the Father’s Word does give me this. “As thou hast sent Me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world. And for their sakes I sanctify Myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth” (Jhn 17:18, 19). Now I get something by means of the Word: it is the Lord Jesus Himself who is the substance of all that the Word speaks about.

Therefore, the Lord Jesus says, as regards His place, “For their sakes I sanctify Myself.” He has gone up to glory, and there sets Himself apart as the object for our hearts. The Holy Spirit reveals Him to me, and the Word is the revelation of all that is in the Lord Jesus; it brings to me all that He is: “Sanctify them through Thy truth.” How? I have now got an object: it is the truth, which will judge everything that is in my heart. This it is that sanctifies me, by showing me the One whom I love, Who has said that I am going to be like Him.

The Lord Jesus has got hold of my heart, has given me a place with Himself and has fitted me for it by the revelation of Himself to my heart. And besides this place, I get the Holy Spirit sent down, taking of the things of Christ, and showing them to me (Jhn 16:13); revealing to me that He has given me what He has and is, that I may have it with Him, and that I may be like Him. The Lord Jesus Himself is mine, and I am His. He is the perfect and blessed Man set apart in the presence of the Father; and that, transported into my heart in the living power that it has in me through the Spirit, sets me apart to my Father.

It is the truth that sanctifies me; but if I look at what the truth is perfectly, it is the Lord Jesus. We “beholding the glory of the Lord, with unveiled face, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.” “For their sakes I sanctify Myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth.” “I have declared unto them Thy name, and will declare it; that the love wherewith Thou hast loved Me may be in them, and I in them.”

We get the present knowledge that we are loved as the Lord Jesus is loved. There is the place in which He places the believer now. All being founded upon the work that He has done, and upon His being thus in the presence of the Father, Who put us in this Himself; hence we can say, I know that I am loved as my Father loves His beloved Son. It is not enough for the Father to give His Son for us, but He places us in the same position and loves us with the same love.

If we grieve the Holy Spirit we may not enjoy the fellowship of that love; but there is the place in which the Lord Jesus has set us to stand with His Father and our Father, His God and our God (Jhn 20:17), and to enjoy Him who is the truth, and who gives us the consciousness of being loved as He Himself is loved. It will be manifested before the world when He comes to receive us, but it is ours now.

— J N Darby

MJS Devotional: None But The Hungry Heart

This sounds like a false understanding on Sanctification.
While the word "sanctify" can refer to the Justification Process (i.e. being saved by God's grace) in the Bible, the Sanctification Process (living holy, putting away sin, and not justifying sin) is also a necessary requirement of the salvation process after we are saved by God's grace (Justification).

1 Thessalonians 4:3
"For this is the will of God, even your sanctification, that ye should abstain from fornication:"

"For God hath not called us unto uncleanness, but unto holiness."
(1 Thessalonians 4:7).

"So all people who have this confidence in Christ keep themselves pure, as Christ is pure." (1 John 3:3 GW).

"That every one of you should know how to possess his vessel in sanctification and honour;" (1 Thessalonians 4:4).

"Your word I have hidden in my heart, That I might not sin against You."
(Psalms 119:11).

"But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him." (1 John 2:5).

Keeping God's word is keeping His commandments. See 1 John 2:3-4 for the context.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted him, saying,
"Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?"

He said unto him,
"What is written in the law? how readest thou?"

And he answering said,
"Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself."

And he said unto him,
"Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live."

(Luke 10:25-28).​

Notice that Jesus did not say to the lawyer the nonsense that is preached in most churches these days. Jesus did not say to the lawyer, "Wrong lawyer! You cannot keep God's laws! It is impossible! Do not worry about your sin so much. Just believe in me alone and you will be saved."

Upvote 0

WordSword

Sep 8, 2017
MO.
✟249,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Doesn't His sanctifying accomplish both?
Making us holy, consecrated, righteous, justified AND to able walk in Their presence?
Hi and appreciate you interesting reply! I would say yes, but I also believe the same can be said for all the imputed godly attributes since they are inseparable and are one unit (like fruit and not fruits of the Spirit), though with specific functions.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi and appreciate you interesting reply! I would say yes, but I also believe the same can be said for all the imputed godly attributes since they are inseparable and are one unit (like fruit and not fruits of the Spirit), though with specific functions.

Do you believe a Christian can lie, or cheat, or steal something and then get hit by a bus without confessing their sin to Jesus, and be saved because they had a belief alone on Jesus for salvation?

Is this what you mean by Sanctification?

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Can a Christian work horrible sins like indulge in inappropriate content, and not confess of such a sin, and yet also do good works in the same day like say help the poor or preach the gospel by the power of God?

Jesus says a good tree cannot bring forth bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bring forth good fruit.

Upvote 0

WordSword

Sep 8, 2017
MO.
✟249,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
This sounds like a false understanding on Sanctification.
While the word "sanctify" can refer to the Justification Process (i.e. being saved by God's grace) in the Bible, the Sanctification Process (living holy, putting away sin, and not justifying sin) is also a necessary requirement of the salvation process after we are saved by God's grace (Justification).
Thanks for the reply! I realize it's a fairly common acceptance to understand sanctification to be a process, but I've never seen Scripture using it in that sense. I believe the primary disadvantage in its misapplication is that it reaches unto the other imputed blessings to give the same sense of a false concept into thinking even salvation or our justified and righteous standing in Christ is also a process and we are incomplete in Him.

• Agree
Reactions: Phil W
Upvote 0

WordSword

Sep 8, 2017
MO.
✟249,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Can a Christian work horrible sins like indulge in inappropriate content, and not confess of such a sin, and yet also do good works in the same day like say help the poor or preach the gospel by the power of God?

Jesus says a good tree cannot bring forth bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bring forth good fruit.
A person falsely professing to be a Christian will continue to live in sin--sin will always "find you out" (Num 32:23). This is the sense of what James wrote, that "A man may say" he is saved, but his ways will indicate if it's true (2:18).

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the reply! I realize it's a fairly common acceptance to understand sanctification to be a process, but I've never seen Scripture using it in that sense. I believe the primary disadvantage in its misapplication is that it reaches unto the other imputed blessings to give the same sense of a false concept into thinking even salvation or our justified and righteous standing in Christ is also a process and we are incomplete in Him.

I already posted the verses for you that makes this point obvious. Okay. I will take three of them from 1 Thessalonians 4.

"For this is the will of God, even your sanctification, that ye should abstain from fornication:"

"That every one of you should know how to possess his vessel in sanctification and honour;" (1 Thessalonians 4:4).​

Please read 1 Thessalonians 4. It is talking about holy living.

2 Thessalonians 2:13 also talks about holy living as a part of the use of the words "sanctification of the Spirit" involving salvation. Look at the immediate context (Note: 2 Thessalonians 2:13 also talks about God's grace as a part of salvation, too).

Verse 12 is a contrast with verse 13.
Belief of the truth in verse 13 is contrasted with not believing the truth in verse 12.
Pleasure in unrighteousness in verse 12 is contrasted with Sanctification of the Spirit in verse 13.
Hope of grace in verse 16, and every good work in verse 17 is a contrast with verse 13 on a belief of the truth, and Sanctification of the Spirit.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
A person falsely professing to be a Christian will continue to live in sin--sin will always "find you out" (Num 32:23). This is the sense of what James wrote, that "A man may say" he is saved, but his ways will indicate if it's true (2:18).

After we are saved by God's grace,
God’s works (done through us) are also required as a part of the Salvation Process:

(Here are a List of Verses):

#1. “Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only." (James 2:24).

#2. "Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone. Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.” (James 2:17-18).

#3. "They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate." (Titus 1:16).

#4. "If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness; He is proud, knowing nothing," (1 Timothy 6:3-4).

Supplemental verse:

"...God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble." (James 4:6).​

#5. "And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him." (Hebrews 5:9).

#6. "Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord" (Hebrews 12:14).

#7. “...God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth” (2 Thessalonians 2:13).

Supplemental verses:

(a) “That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.” (2 Thessalonians 2:12).

(b) “...and hath given us everlasting consolation and good hope through grace, Comfort your hearts, and establish you in every good word and work.” (2 Thessalonians 2:16-17).​

#8. “There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.” (Romans 8:1).

Supplemental verse:

“For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.” (Romans 8:13).​

#9. "If any man love not the Lord Jesus Christ, let him be Anathema [accursed] Maranatha."(1 Corinthians 16:22).

Supplemental verses:

(a) "If ye love me, keep my commandments." (John 14:15).

(b) “If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.” (John 15:10).​

#10. ”And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted him, saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life? He said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou? And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself. And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live.” (Luke 10:25-28).

#11. “...if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.” (Matthew 19:17-19).

#12. "And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me." (Matthew 10:38). ”If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it. For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? (Matthew 16:24-26).

#13. "...No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God." (Luke 9:62) (cf. Luke 8:11-15, 1 Corinthians 4:15).

#14. "But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath, Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile; But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile: For there is no respect of persons with God." (Romans 2:8-11).

Supplemental verses:

(a) "Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls." (James 1:21).

(b) “Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.” (James 1:12).

(c) "For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved." (John 3:20).​

#15. “And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.” (John 5:29).

#16. ”And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last. Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city. For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.” (Revelation 22:12-15).

#17. “For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee. Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.” (Romans 11:21-22).

#18. “Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.” (Philippians 2:12-13).

#19. ”Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.” (Matthew 25:34-40).
“Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not. Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee? Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.” (Matthew 25:41-46).

#20. ”His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.” (Matthew 25:21).
”And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.” (Matthew 25:30).

#21. “In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.” (1 John 3:10).

#22. “He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God” (John 8:47).

#23. “But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.” (1 John 1:7) (cf. 1 John 2:9-11).

#24. “For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.” (Matthew 5:20).

#25. “Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock. And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.” (Matthew 7:24-27).

#26. “Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.” (Matthew 7:21).

Supplementary verse:

“For this is the will of God, even your sanctification, that ye should abstain from fornication” (1 Thessalonians 4:3).​

#27. “And it shall come to pass, that every soul, which will not hear that prophet [Jesus], shall be destroyed from among the people.” (Acts of the Apostles 3:23).

#28. “I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.’ (John 15:5-6).

Supplementary verses:

(a) “Bring forth therefore fruits befitting for repentance” (Matthew 3:8).

(b) “And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.” (Matthew 3:10).​

#29. “And if the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear? Wherefore let them that suffer according to the will of God commit the keeping of their souls to him in well doing, as unto a faithful Creator.” (1 Peter 4:18-19).

#30. “For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting. And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.” (Galatians 6:8-9).

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

There are actually 3 verses in the Bible that I have discovered that say we need both God's grace and Sanctification (Holy living by God) as a part of salvation. John 5:24, 2 Thessalonians 2:13, and James 2:24.

Upvote 0

WordSword

Sep 8, 2017
MO.
✟249,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
After we are saved by God's grace, God’s works (done through us) are also required as a part of the Salvation Process:

(Here are a List of Verses):

#1. “Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only." (James 2:24).

#2. "Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone. Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.” (James 2:17-18).

#3. "They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate." (Titus 1:16).
I believe we have the same goal of putting God first, but presently there are some differences in our understanding. The first passage you list is often misunderstood (not saying by you) concerning the word "justify." It has two definitions: to make one righteous; or to show one is righteous. The former only God can perform. The latter is how we manifest we are made (imputed not imparted) righteous. This explains why we can only "bear much fruit" and not produce it (Jhn 15:8). The Spirit produces the fruit via the Vine (Jhn 15:5), and we display it.

The second passage teaches me that if there is no fruit there is no faith, because faith always manifest fruit (works).

The last passage affirms the other two passages, in that no works means no faith (nonexistent, i.e. "dead"). One who truly has faith in Christ can't avoid the Spirit manifesting it in and through the believer.

Reactions: frumanchu
Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Gotta agree with "inseparable".
Men can't be 30% holy at work and 45% holy at home and 92% holy at church meetings either.
Black and white.
There are no shades of grey in the light.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,008.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Right. Reformed theologians use sanctification to refer to our Christian life, specifically progress in conforming to what God wants us to be like. If you look through the NT, that’s not how the term sanctify is used. I think the issue here is terminology, not theology. That is, I think the NT does speak of what theologians call sanctification. Some postings here show that. But I don’t think it normally uses the word sanctification for that

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

WordSword

Sep 8, 2017
MO.
✟249,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I already posted the verses for you that makes this point obvious. Okay. I will take three of them from 1 Thessalonians 4.

"That every one of you should know how to possess his vessel in sanctification and honour;" (1 Thessalonians 4:4).​

It's my understanding that these verses show that the believers are sanctified by what they do and say, not what they do and say makes them sanctified. For example, abstaining from fornication manifests sanctification, for one cannot be obedient to God unless He has sanctified him. The reason why Paul chose to use fornication here is because it was a common acceptance with the Gentiles that it was not wrong, but of course all sin is intended.

Verse 3 to me is merely making a statement or truism, that it is God's will in your sanctification to do thus and such. The way verse 4 is written assumes one is "in sanctification," and it will show in knowing how to possess your body (vessel). Verse 7 demonstrates why these are so, because He did not call us to do otherwise, because those who were not saved continued in sin, i.e. one who is reborn (sanctified, which can only be done by the Spirit in rebirth) will without fail manifest holiness, sanctification, righteousness, justification, etc .​

Upvote 0

WordSword

Sep 8, 2017
MO.
✟249,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Right. Reformed theologians use sanctification to refer to our Christian life, specifically progress in conforming to what God wants us to be like. If you look through the NT, that’s not how the term sanctify is used. I think the issue here is terminology, not theology. That is, I think the NT does speak of what theologians call sanctification. Some postings here show that. But I don’t think it normally uses the word sanctification for that
Hi and appreciate your input Brother! I think it helps to note that the only conforming that is progressive is that in our walk, not in our salvation, which are being confused between works and grace. God is ever conforming us (Phil 2:13) in our walk, not our redemption, which is complete at rebirth and will be manifested by the believer's lifestyle.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It's my understanding that these verses show that the believers are sanctified by what they do and say, not what they do and say makes them sanctified. For example, abstaining from fornication manifests sanctification, for one cannot be obedient to God unless He has sanctified him. The reason why Paul chose to use fornication here is because it was a common acceptance with the Gentiles that it was not wrong, but of course all sin is intended.

Verse 3 to me is merely making a statement or truism, that it is God's will in your sanctification to do thus and such. The way verse 4 is written assumes one is "in sanctification," and it will show in knowing how to possess your body (vessel). Verse 7 demonstrates why these are so, because He did not call us to do otherwise, because those who were not saved continued in sin, i.e. one who is reborn (sanctified, which can only be done by the Spirit in rebirth) will without fail manifest holiness, sanctification, righteousness, justification, etc .​

This is a false understanding on Sanctification.
As I pointed out, Sanctification is related to abstaining from fornication according to 1 Thessalonians 4:3.

"each of you to know how to win mastery over his own vessel in holiness and honor," (1 Thessalonians 4:4) (BLB).

"each of you must know how to control his own body in holiness and honor," (1 Thessalonians 4:4) (BSB).

This is the immediate context. The King James says Sanctification instead of holiness.

"That every one of you should know how to possess his vessel in sanctification and honour;" (1 Thessalonians 4:4) (KJV).

"For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live." (Romans 8:13).

Mortify means to put to death. If we put to death our put away the sinful deeds of the body by the Spirit, we will live (live eternally). But if we live after the flesh (sin) we shall die (die spiritually).

Tell me: How is your version of Sanctification working for you?
Do you see yourself obeying the commands of Jesus better and puting away sin better by this odd view on Sanctification?

Upvote 0

WordSword

Sep 8, 2017
MO.
✟249,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
This is a false understanding on Sanctification.
As I pointed out, Sanctification is related to abstaining from fornication according to 1 Thessalonians 4:3.

"each of you to know how to win mastery over his own vessel in holiness and honor," (1 Thessalonians 4:4) (BLB).

"each of you must know how to control his own body in holiness and honor," (1 Thessalonians 4:4) (BSB).

This is the immediate context. The King James says Sanctification instead of holiness.

"That every one of you should know how to possess his vessel in sanctification and honour;" (1 Thessalonians 4:4) (KJV).

"For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live." (Romans 8:13).

Mortify means to put to death. If we put to death our put away the sinful deeds of the body by the Spirit, we will live (live eternally). But if we live after the flesh (sin) we shall die (die spiritually)
The passages you have presented in this reply expresses manifestations of one who is saved, not one who is attempting to be saved, e.g. one who is in the Spirit will not live after the flesh, because the Spirit mortifies these desires "members" (Col 3:5) in us and opposes the lust of it in us (Gal 5:17).

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The passages you have presented in this reply expresses manifestations of one who is saved, not one who is attempting to be saved, e.g. one who is in the Spirit will not live after the flesh, because the Spirit mortifies these desires "members" (Col 3:5) in us and opposes the lust of it in us (Gal 5:17).

First, I never said an unbeliever can enter the Sanctification process. Obviously a person has to first be saved by God's grace before they can enter the Sanctification Process.

Second, make no mistake: We are saved by both God's grace, and by Sanctification (See: John 5:24, 2 Thessalonians 2:13, and James 2:24). So sure, we are saved by God's grace initially and ultimately (or foundational salvation), but we have to continue to abide in God's plan of salvation and enter into the Sanctification Process and put away sin and be fruitful and live holy. If we refuse to enter Sanctification and we live according to the flesh (sin) we will die (die spiritually). Well, that is if you believe Romans 8:13 in what it says plainly. Romans 8:13 gives us two choices. Live after the flesh (or sin) and die, or put to death the misdeeds of the body by the Spirit and live (live eternally). Sanctification is not always an overnight process, although I am sure it can be for some. God gives us time with His grace to overcome grievous sin, to be fruitful, and to live holy in this life.

Problem in your view is that you think a saved believer WILL ALWAYS at some point in their life enter the Sanctification Process and live that holy life. But I know your view of holy living in Sanctification is not the same as the one I know in the Bible. How so? Well, on the one hand, most Eternal Security believers or sin and still be saved type proponents hold to the idea that no believer will murder, rape, or commit child abuse, but yet on the other hand, they oddly say that Christians sin every day in other ways (like lying, hating, lusting, etc.). But God's Word condemns these kinds of sins with warnings of hell fire and judgment. So they are not really living holy or righteous according to the Bible. Anyways, the whole idea that a believer is forced to live according to the imperfect Eternal Security Proponent standard of holiness (Which is not really true holy living according to the Bible) as a result of some changed nature or heart, is that the Bible tells us specifically to live holy in several places.

We are told:

“...We are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end.” (Hebrews 3:13-14).

"Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life." (Jude 1:21).

"...be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life." (Revelation 2:10).

We are told to:

1. Continue in the grace of God (Acts of the Apostles 13:43).

2. Continue in the faith (Acts of the Apostles 14:22) (Colossians 1:23).

3. Continue in his goodness, otherwise we can be cut off (just like the Jews were cut off) (Romans 11:21-22).

To tell us to live holy is simply pointless if it is just a by-product of being saved by God's grace. Sure, I am not denying believers are given a new heart with new desires, but their free will is not removed in making choices between good and evil. Neither is God going to force them over time to live holy. Sure, God chastens believers, but I believe this is only those who do not seek to justify sin by God's grace. Most people want to treat God's grace as a safety net to sin in some way these days. This is the wide gate belief that most churches believe. Yet, Jesus said narrow is the way that leads unto life and few be there that find it.

Upvote 0