florida2

Sep 18, 2011
✟25,691.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Check out my blog in my signature. :angel:

So you can't pick out any particular tricks or do you not want the scrutiny?

If people could do actual supernatural magic and defy the laws of physics, don't you think they'd be a bit more ambitious than doing a few tricks on TV?

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,575.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Well, to be fair, you don't believe as far as I can tell. So, if you and others that are just here to poke fun, kindly leave this thread. Sometimes I wonder just how many people are actually adults...or actually act like it.
Oooh, look who has his bigboy pants on and wants to talk adult.

Upvote 0

[serious]

'As we treat the least of our brothers...' RIP GA
Site Supporter
Aug 29, 2006
✟72,846.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well, to be fair, you don't believe as far as I can tell. So, if you and others that are just here to poke fun, kindly leave this thread. Sometimes I wonder just how many people are actually adults...or actually act like it.
To be fair, most adults don't believe card tricks are actually supernatural. They rely on sleight of hand and misdirection mostly, with many requiring trick decks. if they were actual magic, a blackjack table would be more profitable.

Upvote 0

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To be fair, most adults don't believe card tricks are actually supernatural. They rely on sleight of hand and misdirection mostly, with many requiring trick decks. if they were actual magic, a blackjack table would be more profitable.

Yes, this I agree on. For myself, I always thought card tricks were sleight of hand, but I've watched a few on that Penn and Teller show, or even ones on the street, I can't help but think if it's more than that sometimes.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Yes, this I agree on. For myself, I always thought card tricks were sleight of hand, but I've watched a few on that Penn and Teller show, or even ones on the street, I can't help but think if it's more than that sometimes.

You think it's more than that... why? Because they're just that good?

They're talented... they're doing the same as Penn and Teller... just some of them are better at it.

Upvote 0

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You think it's more than that... why? Because they're just that good?

They're talented... they're doing the same as Penn and Teller... just some of them are better at it.

Well, it's really ... hard to explain to an Agnostic... sorry... :oops:
It's not that I'm discrediting their obvious hard work, it's just ... sometimes it doesn't sit well, like their is something else behind the scenes. And actually one magician admitted that his assistant was/is in fact a spirit.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,575.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
It's not that I'm discrediting their obvious hard work, it's just ... sometimes it doesn't sit well, like their is something else behind the scenes. And actually one magician admitted that his assistant was/is in fact a spirit.
Really? Penn and Teller? They are one of the few magicians who actually reveal how a lot of their tricks work!

Upvote 0

Wgw

Pray For Brussels!
May 24, 2015
✟15,107.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative

And thus I fear you rather miss the point of Penn and Teller.

Reactions: SnowyMacie
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,575.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
a lot? No. They don't actually reveal much.
Well, compared to most magicians who don't reveal anything at all.

Why do you instantly believe someone when he says that he is in league with spiritis, while you doubt people who repeatedly show you that they are only using sleight of hand and elaborate mechanisms?

Ever heard of the phrase confirmation bias?

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

You have a bad feeling about it -- not really hard to explain at all.

These people make their living making you see not what you want to see, but what they want you to see... What Teller once referred to as "the unwilling suspension of disbelief..." It's safe to assume that the famous ones are very good at it.

It's not that I'm discrediting their obvious hard work, it's just ... sometimes it doesn't sit well, like their is something else behind the scenes.

Usually smoke and mirrors, a deck of marked cards, and a "magic box" with a mirror inside and a trap door in the bottom.

And actually one magician admitted that his assistant was/is in fact a spirit.

Did he now?

Harry Houndini claimed he was born on Halloween in Appleton, Wisconsin. None of that's true -- just theatrics.The truth is that Houdini's real name was Erik Weisz, and he was born in Budapest, Hungary -- most likely he told the Appleton story to ward off post-WWI xenophobia. And forget about Halloween... he was born on March 24. But Halloween is so much more appropriate for a magician, don't you think?

He also once claimed that after cutting a hole in the ice of the frozen Detroit River and jumping in while handcuffed, he lost sight of the hole, and was guided to it at the last minute by the spirit of his dead mother. A fascinating story, except that the day he did this -- November 27, 1906 -- the Detroit River was not frozen. When the Detroit Free Press called him out on this little detail, Houdini changed the story to the 2nd of December and claimed it happened in Pittsburgh -- and this time, not only was he handcuffed, but also chained and locked in a trunk. The spirit of his mother rescuing him, however, remained unchanged.

Isn't it possible that a magician -- a person who makes their living dealing in misdirection and illusion -- might be pulling your leg?

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,462.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes they Lie to you.
When the say Pick a card, they normally know what card you're going to pick before hand as you may not even have a choice as to what card you're going to pick.
When they say "There's nothing up my sleeve" they're probably lying and they've got all sorts of stuff.

FYI Please be careful, those E-Mails from people saying they got Millions and want to give you some if you help transfer it from their country, they're also lying to you.

Upvote 0

[serious]

Site Supporter
Aug 29, 2006
✟72,846.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Penn and Teller have some videos where they explain some of the tricks. Even knowing how the maneuver is done, it's hard to see when done at speed.

Watch this:

Reactions: pgp_protector
Upvote 0

The Cadet

SO COOL
Apr 29, 2010
Munich
✟45,617.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat

I'm reminded of this one segment from The Atheist Experience, where Matt Dillahunty speaks about how he used to do magic tricks for his platoon in the army (navy? haven't seen the clip in a while). There was this one guy who reacted to the tricks with "He's got the devil in him!" Even after Dillahunty showed the guy exactly how the trick worked, he still acted like it was magic.

Magic tricks can be really impressive. They can leave you wondering, "How in the world did they do that?!" That's the whole point. But in most cases, it's not actually anything that couldn't be accomplished with the help of impressive props, or at times, without them. Escape artistry may look like magic, but often, these guys were just that flexible and strong. Or the straightjacket was a fake prop. :p

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

[serious]

Site Supporter
Aug 29, 2006
✟72,846.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes they Lie to you.
When the say Pick a card, they normally know what card you're going to pick before hand as you may not even have a choice as to what card you're going to pick.
When they say "There's nothing up my sleeve" they're probably lying and they've got all sorts of stuff.

FYI Please be careful, those E-Mails from people saying they got Millions and want to give you some if you help transfer it from their country, they're also lying to you.
The variation of this I use is doing a small fan where I know the middle 3-4 cards. 90% of the time I can get them to pick a known card. That last 10% I transition into another trick that can tell me where it's placed in the deck.

Reactions: Wgw
Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,462.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm reminded of this one segment from The Atheist Experience, where Matt Dillahunty speaks about how he used to do magic tricks for his platoon in the army (navy? haven't seen the clip in a while). There was this one guy who reacted to the tricks with "He's got the devil in him!" Even after Dillahunty showed the guy exactly how the trick worked, he still acted like it was magic.

Magic tricks can be really impressive. They can leave you wondering, "How in the world did they do that?!" That's the whole point. But in most cases, it's not actually anything that couldn't be accomplished with the help of impressive props, or at times, without them. Escape artistry may look like magic, but often, these guys were just that flexible and strong. Or the straightjacket was a fake prop. :p
You should of seen my daughter in law freak out first time I did a floating dollar :D
She went running out of the room, I think if she had Holy water she would of dumped it on me.

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,462.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The variation of this I use is doing a small fan where I know the middle 3-4 cards. 90% of the time I can get them to pick a known card. That last 10% I transition into another trick that can tell me where it's placed in the deck.
Ever play with an invisible deck?

Upvote 0

[serious]

Site Supporter
Aug 29, 2006
✟72,846.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ever play with an invisible deck?
All mine are done with a standard deck. I wouldn't mind picking up a trick deck or two though. That does look like a good one though.

More in the theme of the thread, who here can explain this trick? I'm pretty sure I've got the whole thing cracked. There's only one minor element I'm not positive of.

Upvote 0