Nashville
✟538,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
How does one “know thyself” in that our minds are distorted by sin? When I repent I find it hard to know if what I’m seeing is actually a sinful thought or if it is just something the devil is showing me of a false memory.

How does one “know thyself” without being deluded?

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
How does one “know thyself” in that our minds are distorted by sin? When I repent I find it hard to know if what I’m seeing is actually a sinful thought or if it is just something the devil is showing me of a false memory.

You need the Lord to show you. Ask Him. We all need discernment. One key is your will. Did you choose to think the thought? Or did it just drift into your mind? If you chose, it is your thought. If not, it was injected by an evil spirit. It will pretend to be you.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

keep praying and coming to the sacraments. as we say in Lent, the Light of Christ illumines all.

Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Elder Thaddeus of Vitovnica, in Our Thoughts Determine Our Lives, says that thoughts can come from 3 sources. I believe I also just heard a talk on YouTube where Archimandrite Sergius (Bowyer) of St Tikhon’s says the same thing, though it may have been in The Way of the Pilgrim which I’m reading now too.

Thoughts can come from the demons, they can come from ourselves (our human nature), or they can come from the Holy Spirit and one’s guardian angel

I’m not sure how that necessarily answers your question - it’s a good question for sure.

Upvote 0

SingularityOne

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2018
Nashville
✟538,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Elder Thaddeus of Vitovnica, in Our Thoughts Determine Our Lives, says that thoughts can come from 3 sources. I believe I also just heard a talk on YouTube where Archimandrite Sergius (Bowyer) of St Tikhon’s says the same thing, though it may have been in The Way of the Pilgrim which I’m reading now too.

Thoughts can come from the demons, they can come from ourselves (our human nature), or they can come from the Holy Spirit and one’s guardian angel

I’m not sure how that necessarily answers your question - it’s a good question for sure.
Yeah, this makes sense. I’m more asking how to discern between those three sources of thoughts if our faculty of discernment is distorted. Thank you for the information though.

Upvote 0

nicholas123

Nov 13, 2019
St. Louis
✟21,167.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

An eternity of asceticism to differentiate prelest from truth! While you have not the time, you have the right attitude towards it. To believe oneself free from prelest is the greatest prelest.

Upvote 0

SingularityOne

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2018
Nashville
✟538,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
An eternity of asceticism to differentiate prelest from truth! While you have not the time, you have the right attitude towards it. To believe oneself free from prelest is the greatest prelest.
So, you’re saying the attitude is the only thing that’s important in this?

Upvote 0

nicholas123

Nov 13, 2019
St. Louis
✟21,167.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
So, you’re saying the attitude is the only thing that’s important in this?
I'm saying we cannot escape prelest and to believe one escaped is a great delusion. You will be deluded by yourself and others, it's just part the human condition. Though the fact that you watch your judgement will minimize such delusions.

Upvote 0

SingularityOne

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2018
Nashville
✟538,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I'm saying we cannot escape prelest and to believe one escaped is a great delusion. You will be deluded by yourself and others, it's just part the human condition. Though the fact that you watch your judgement will minimize such delusions.
So it’s more about being “aware/watchful” of the judgement instead of being blind to it...?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JohnTh

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
✟32,051.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0