Northwest
✟39,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Divorced
Comedian Jeff Foxworthy heard this story while leading a Bible study for homeless people:

The man inherited $70,000 and went out of control with crack, booze, and women. He stopped going to work and lost his job. He lost his home and was living in a series of low down motels. All his belongings were in a few suitcases and a backpack.

The only possession he still had from his childhood was a Bible his mother had given him, which he kept in his backpack. In the Bible was an inspirational love letter from his deeply faithful mother.

In time he lost the suitcases, and eventually the backpack containing the Bible from his mother. Drugs had taken over his life and he was living on the street. A year and a half later a man hired him to help rehab an apartment building 100 miles away.

In the corner of a room there was a pile of stuff, including a dusty pile of books.

One of the books was the Bible from his mother; the letter was still inside! A year and a half later, and 100 miles from where he lost it. As the man told Jeff, “If God is chasing me this hard, I’m going to stop running.”

Jeff said the man has been clean for 8 years and has helped hundreds of guys get off the street and make a new start.
A Bible Story | Elmwood Community Church UCC

This story beautifully illustrates the doctrine of irresistible grace. Irresistible grace doesn’t mean that God’s elect will never rebel, but that God’s grace is powerful enough to overcome the elect’s rebellion, transform their wills and desires, and lead them to ultimate salvation.

Irresistible Grace - is it biblical? | GotQuestions.org

Without God’s enabling grace active in the world, how can you explain the homeless man, out of the blue, finding his mother’s Bible a hundred miles away from where he lost it? God chased him, not the other way around. (John 15:16)

Reactions: public hermit

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Comedian Jeff Foxworthy heard this story while leading a Bible study for homeless people:
This story beautifully illustrates the doctrine of irresistible grace. Irresistible grace doesn’t mean that God’s elect will never rebel, but that God’s grace is powerful enough to overcome the elect’s rebellion, transform their wills and desires, and lead them to ultimate salvation.

Without God’s enabling grace active in the world, how can you explain the homeless man, out of the blue, finding his mother’s Bible a hundred miles away from where he lost it? God chased him, not the other way around. (John 15:16)

Ever heard of the "Hound of Heaven"?

It's notoriously magnificent!

Francis Thompson, I think.

P.S. People didn't show their teeth in pictures centuries ago.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

So this man saw how "a God" could do that, or foreordain that, or prearrange that, and He was "irresistibly moved" to chase and/or follow after Him...

But just "what" did he "see" exactly, etc...?

Because what he really saw, goes all the way, way back to the very beginning, and from before time eternal, etc...

And if that is not "beyond resistance or ever resisting", then I don't know what is, etc...

God Bless!

Last edited:
Upvote 0