✟10,768.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hello All,

I do apologise if this has already been covered. I did have a quick look and didn’t see it mentioned I’m sorry if I missed it. I’ve been busy lately I will soon be married and obviously it has taken up a lot of my time. I’ve not been keeping an eye on politics and the news.

My question is primarily for the American users here. Why did so many people when referring to the attacks in Sri Lanka cite “Easter Worship” rather than call it an attack on Christians. Many of the same people were quick to call the Christchurch shooting an attack on Muslims, “the Muslim Community” or Islam.

Are things really so bad on the American left that the mere mention of Christianity is frowned upon?

I’d end by saying I do not use Twitter but a few articles I’ve read have made mention of tweets from Obama and Clinton et al. These people no longer aspire to office so why not call a spade a spade?

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello All,

I do apologise if this has already been covered. I did have a quick look and didn’t see it mentioned I’m sorry if I missed it. I’ve been busy lately I will soon be married and obviously it has taken up a lot of my time. I’ve not been keeping an eye on politics and the news.

My question is primarily for the American users here. Why did so many people when referring to the attacks in Sri Lanka cite “Easter Worship” rather than call it an attack on Christians. Many of the same people were quick to call the Christchurch shooting an attack on Muslims, “the Muslim Community” or Islam.

Are things really so bad on the American left that the mere mention of Christianity is frowned upon?

I’d end by saying I do not use Twitter but a few articles I’ve read have made mention of tweets from Obama and Clinton et al. These people no longer aspire to office so why not call a spade a spade?
Yes. Viewing Christians as a legitimate religious community worthy of pity or sorrow when attacked in their own houses of worship is frowned on.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,864.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Yes. If you say that Christians got attacked (yet again), it makes it sound like Christians got attacked (yet again). As always, truth is bad for their narrative.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Hello All,

Who else participates in Easter worship besides Christians?

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is ok in the secular news media to post many, many articles on the atrocities committed against the Yezidi. And the persecution they endured truly was horrible, and worthy of news, and attention.

But contrast that against how much coverage the persecution of Christians specifically by IS received. Not as much. Unless one turns to CBN, EWTN, or other Christian news outlets.

Reactions: BWV 565
Upvote 0

JosephZ

Mar 25, 2017
Davao City
Visit site
✟230,551.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
No, it's just that the Christian right feels like their way of life is under attack and they look for any little thing, regardless of how tiny it may be, to make it appear that the left and anyone else who doesn't agree with them is at war with them.

Here is what I posted about this in another thread:

Had this happened next Sunday, they probably would be referred to as only worshipers. That term has been used to describe people attending church for as long as I can remember. It's common sense that Easter worshipers means Christians. Just because the word Christian wasn't used to describe the victims killed in a church doesn't mean there is some kind of PC movement to stop using the word Christian.

If you do a google search of church attacks in the past, you will find many examples of where the term worshipers was used instead of Christians.

Here are a couple:

Men Attack Worshipers at St. Lucia Cathedral, Killing One (2001)

''The attack this morning on worshipers in Islamabad was a cowardly act that took the lives of five innocent people and injured many more while they were worshiping,'' -- Wendy J. Chamberlin United States Ambassador to Pakistan (2002)

Had these incidents occurred on Easter Sunday, they would have likely been called Easter worshipers. This is nothing new.

Upvote 0

BWV 565

Mar 28, 2019
Scotland
✟10,768.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
No, it's just that the Christian right feels like their way of life is under attack and they look for any little thing, regardless of how tiny it may be, to make it appear that the left and anyone else who doesn't agree with them is at war with them.

Here is what I posted about this in another thread:

Rather than disprove anything this seems to confirm that the two religions are not giving equal or fair coverage. I am hardly a right-winger just by the by.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Hello All,

My question is primarily for the American users here. Why did so many people when referring to the attacks in Sri Lanka cite “Easter Worship” rather than call it an attack on Christians.

You are referring to the wording used by the media, I believe, not the average person.

Yes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BWV 565

Mar 28, 2019
Scotland
✟10,768.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
You are referring to the wording used by the media, I believe, not the average person.

Yes.

Yes I was referring to tweets highlighted on the Spectator Blog. I apologise I had named a few of the people in question but I decided to remove it as I did not want to make it seem overtly partisan.

I am not a Democrat or Republican (obviously British). I try to avoid being seen to be partisan though as I’m not. My politics are decided upon on an issue by issue basis. I’m not affiliated with a political party in the UK either.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Yes I was referring to tweets highlighted on the Spectator Blog. I apologise I had named a few of the people in question but I decided ti remove it as I did not want to make it seem overtly partisan.
Well, of course I do not have knowledge of all the people and posts you are thinking of, but I do know this--people who sympathize with the perspective of the press tend to mimic the phraseology and jargon (as well as the arguments) used by the newsmen they side with.

Upvote 0

BWV 565

Mar 28, 2019
Scotland
✟10,768.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Wouldn't care if it did. If one goes looking to be offended and oppressed, they will never be disappointed.

You mistake curiosity with offence being taken. Either that or you need a better strawman.

I was referring to politicians and pundits. Obama and Clinton to name but two who you would think would take the opportunity to virtue signal to Christians like they did with Muslims regarding the Mosque shooting.

I find it strange 3 or 4 tweets were worded it in such an obtuse way. I seriously don’t see any harm in calling it what it was an attack in a Christians. I’d have made the same post regardless of the religion under attack.

Well, of course I do not have knowledge of all the people and posts you are thinking of, but I do know this--people who sympathize with the perspective of the press tend to mimic the phraseology and jargon (as well as the arguments) used by the newsmen they side with.

No worries my friend all these politicians have their accounts managed for them so I’m told. So you are probably right.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
You mistake curiosity with offence being taken. Either that or you need a better strawman.

I was referring to politicians and pundits. Obama and Clinton to name but two who you would think would take the opportunity to virtue signal to Christians like they did with Muslims regarding the Mosque shooting.

I find it strange 3 or 4 tweets were worded it in such an obtuse way. I seriously don’t see any harm in calling it what it was an attack in a Christians. I’d have made the same post regardless of the religion under attack.

No worries my friend all these politicians have their accounts managed for them so I’m told. So you are probably right.

It seems to me like people are trying to read into it too much. I get that it's a bit odd.

Upvote 0

JosephZ

Mar 25, 2017
Davao City
Visit site
✟230,551.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Perhaps you are right and maybe it’s an Americanism but it seems like a strange way of wording things in my opinion.

According to some of the replies above it is normal to leave out the religion of Christians and Jews when referring to acts of violence against them so I don’t think so if I’m honest.
Here is President Trump's response to the New Zealand massacre.

"My warmest sympathy and best wishes goes out to the people of New Zealand after the horrible massacre in the Mosques. 49 innocent people have so senselessly died, with so many more seriously injured. The U.S. stands by New Zealand for anything we can do. God bless all!" -- President Donald Trump

He didn't mention the word Muslims or worshiping.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
lol, if it requires writing an article to explain it...that's a fail.

I wonder how many people had to read an article before they were outraged about it.

No one was expressing concern or confusion or outrage at the AP 3 days ago.

Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
Hello All,

The side issue is that it is a subliminal about the nature of Easter.

It happens to be a common discussion here.

Upvote 0