Jan 27, 2017
Finland
✟131,729.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Even saints are sinners.

”saintlike” creatures fall into the sins of gluttony, bitterness, hateful thoughts, anger, pride, unforgiveness, resentment, greed, jolly, foolishness, stubborness, unwilling to reach out to people that are dying in their sins, fear of rejection, lukewarmness, speaking up when they should not and being quiet when they should speak up, minding their own business, putting the blinds on, making sure noone sees how little money or time they donate but talking about how important it is that we all give. Dressing like a detective or insuranceagent.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am inclined to say that church is neither of those things...at least not as the statement stands.
Indeed.

Those who are not believers yet are by definition not part of the Church. And those who are believers cannot properly be called "sinners;" even though we all do sin - at least occasionally. We are new creatures, not sinners.

And as for the saints, (those set apart) there is only occasional rest as we are in a constant battle with the unholy trinity: the flesh, the world and the devil.

Upvote 0

Naomi4Christ

not a nutter
Site Supporter
Sep 15, 2005
✟269,195.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
”saintlike” creatures fall into the sins of gluttony, bitterness, hateful thoughts, anger, pride, unforgiveness, resentment, greed, jolly, foolishness, stubborness, unwilling to reach out to people that are dying in their sins, fear of rejection, lukewarmness, speaking up when they should not and being quiet when they should speak up, minding their own business, putting the blinds on, making sure noone sees how little money or time they donate but talking about how important it is that we all give. Dressing like a detective or insuranceagent.
For sure

Upvote 0

Naomi4Christ

not a nutter
Site Supporter
Sep 15, 2005
✟269,195.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Indeed.

Those who are not believers yet are by definition not part of the Church. And those who are believers cannot properly be called "sinners;" even though we all do sin - at least occasionally. We are new creatures, not sinners.

And as for the saints, (those set apart) there is only occasional rest as we are in a constant battle with the unholy trinity: the flesh, the world and the devil.
We are sinners all the time. It is not an occasional thing. In thought, word and deed. I am sinning now in my thoughts.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,245.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Can I ask where the quote is from?

Augustine. The original version was "The church is not a hotel for saints, it is a hospital for sinners."

I must admit I find the idea of a hospital resonates more deeply than a school. We need to learn, sure, but more deeply than that we need healing and wholeness.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

everbecoming2007

Dec 4, 2012
wherever I am at any given moment
✟70,470.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Augustine. The original version was "The church is not a hotel for saints, it is a hospital for sinners."

I must admit I find the idea of a hospital resonates more deeply than a school. We need to learn, sure, but more deeply than that we need healing and wholeness.

I also resonate more with the idea of the church as a hospital rather than a school for sinners. I mean, prisoners are schools for sinners, too, but not in a healthy way usually.

Upvote 0

Naomi4Christ

not a nutter
Site Supporter
Sep 15, 2005
✟269,195.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private

I imagine that hospital didn’t have the same meaning to Augustine as it does to us.

Funnily enough, we have some schools here called hospitals, such as Christ’s Hospital

I like the idea of lifelong learning, rather than a quick fix.

Upvote 0

Naomi4Christ

not a nutter
Site Supporter
Sep 15, 2005
✟269,195.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
From the Christ’s Hospital website:

During the Middle Ages, hospitals served different functions from modern institutions. Medieval hospitals were alms houses for the poor, hostels for pilgrims, or hospital schools. The word “hospital” derives from the Latin noun hospitium and came to signify hospitality.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,245.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I imagine that hospital didn’t have the same meaning to Augustine as it does to us.

Actually, you'd be surprised. In Christian Rome, there were hospitals: "Following First Council of Nicaea in 325 CE construction of a hospital in every cathedral town was begun. Among the earliest were those built by the physician Saint Sampson in Constantinople and by Basil, bishop of Caesarea in modern-day Turkey. Called the "Basilias", the latter resembled a city and included housing for doctors and nurses and separate buildings for various classes of patients. There was a separate section for lepers. Some hospitals maintained libraries and training programs, and doctors compiled their medical and pharmacological studies in manuscripts. Thus in-patient medical care in the sense of what we today consider a hospital, was an invention driven by Christian mercy and Byzantine innovation. Byzantine hospital staff included the Chief Physician (archiatroi), professional nurses (hypourgoi) and the orderlies (hyperetai). By the twelfth century, Constantinople had two well-organized hospitals, staffed by doctors who were both male and female. Facilities included systematic treatment procedures and specialized wards for various diseases."

After the fall of Rome they became more monastic in the west, and took on the range of functions you describe (alms houses etc).

Upvote 0