everbecoming2007

Dec 4, 2012
wherever I am at any given moment
✟70,470.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I understand. It's just that you are a thinker and a student of all things Christian, and I thought having a copy of the traditional book would be worth getting, even if it was not the one used for worship where you are. :)

I also recommend having one, even if only for personal devotion, although I've been able to attend 1928 eucharists for years in a local Episcopal parish. Unfortunately the lectionary used and the collects are modern, but each person has to make the best of the circumstances they are given.

The psalter in the 1928 edition of the BCP rolls off the tongue. If you regularly keep the Office, many phrases from these psalms will become imprinted in your memory.

• Informative
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
The BCP would be an interesting topic. All I know is that there have been different versions designated by their year and that there is a Rite I & Rite II that utilize traditional and contemporary language.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The BCP would be an interesting topic. All I know is that there have been different versions designated by their year and that there is a Rite I & Rite II that utilize traditional and contemporary language.
--In the 1979 book of The Episcopal Church (and by a different set of terms in the ACNA book just published, I believe).

Before that, it was a true book of COMMON Prayer only sparingly changed from one edition to the next.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
--In the 1979 book of The Episcopal Church (and by a different set of terms in the ACNA book just published, I believe).

Before that, it was a true book of COMMON Prayer only sparingly changed from one edition to the next.
I’m guessing you capitalized ‘COMMON’ due to the fact that the whole point for creating the BCP was that Thomas Cranmer wanted to unify the Anglican Church?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
More or less. Until recently, Anglicanism had as one of its distinctives the fact that although there were internal differences (mainly ceremony), everyone had a common ritual and prayers (and a catechism, the Articles of Religion, Orders for Matrimony, Confirmation, etc, etc.).

Many of us are very sorry to see that gone now. Most people, if you were to quiz them, don't even realize the point of common prayer.

The historic book is a wonderful product, which is one reason I was kinda hoping you would get a copy of it for yourself.

• Useful
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0