Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I occasionally visit several liturgically based local churches. RCC, EO, Lutheran, Anglican(ACNA) & Episcopal. Of these I’ve only heard the phrase “the body of Christ” when distributing the consecrated bread other then at an Episcopal parish. I don’t have a problem with this particularly because they use the proper words of institution while the celebrant consecrates the elements.

Is this the same experience others have witnessed?

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
When I was. Methodist they used the words ' The Bode of Our Lord' or similar words at commion.
I would agree that it is the more litergical churches that use this language.
I can't comment on OC churches.

• Useful
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I occasionally visit several liturgically based local churches. RCC, EO, Lutheran, Anglican(ACNA) & Episcopal. Of these I’ve only heard the phrase “the body of Christ” when distributing the consecrated bread other then at an Episcopal parish. I don’t have a problem with this particularly because they use the proper words of institution while the celebrant consecrates the elements.

Is this the same experience others have witnessed?
I'd say so, but that phrase is simply the modern language usage that The Episcopal Church adopted when it re-wrote the Book of Common Prayer a couple of generations ago. It's not the historic language. IOW, I wouldn't make anything much out of it appearing in one church's services but not in the others.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,270,680.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
The words of distribution are "The Body of Christ, Bread from Heaven" so I'm not sure what you are asking.
I’m saying that all the other sacramental denominations I’ve attended say “This is the body of Christ or just The body of Christ” when distributing bread during communion. But I’ve noticed at Episcopal parishes they say “The body of Christ, Bread from heaven or just Bread from heaven.”

Are you Episcopalian? I know your faith indicator says Anglican but I think Episcopalians can identify either way.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Now I'm not quite sure what the question is, and I think I am in agreement with Arcangl86's reply.

Is there a significant difference between the Episcopal usage and that of other liturgical churches?

Is there a significant difference between it and what most of the other Anglican churches use and which The Episcopal Church also used before 1979?-- "The Body of our Lord Jesus Christ, which was given for thee, preserve thy body and soul until everlasting life. *Take and eat this in remembrance that Christ died for thee, and feed on him in thy heart by faith, with thanksgiving."

*optional

Reactions: Shane R
Upvote 0

Tigger45

Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,270,680.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Now I'm not quite sure what the question is, and I think I am in agreement with Arcangl86's reply.

Is there a significant difference between the Episcopal usage and that of other liturgical churches?

Is there a significant difference between it and what most of the other Anglican churches use and which The Episcopal Church also used before 1979?-- "The Body of our Lord Jesus Christ, which was given for thee, preserve thy body and soul until everlasting life. *Take and eat this in remembrance that Christ died for thee, and feed on him in thy heart by faith, with thanksgiving."

*optional
You were on target with your first reply.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟334,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
@Tigger45 , can you clarify your question for me? Like Arcangl86 and Albion, I don't think I understand what your question is. Is there something in the Episcopal words of distribution that you find objectionable or lacking?

The BCP gives two options: "The Body of our Lord Jesus Christ keep you in everlasting life." Or, "The Body of Christ, the bread of heaven."

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟346,393.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I’m saying that all the other sacramental denominations I’ve attended say “This is the body of Christ or just The body of Christ” when distributing bread during communion. But I’ve noticed at Episcopal parishes they say “The body of Christ, Bread from heaven or just Bread from heaven.”

Are you Episcopalian? I know your faith indicator says Anglican but I think Episcopalians can identify either way.
I am Episcopalian. Just saying bread from heaven is strange because the prayer book requires the full phrase.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,270,680.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
My apologies, I would hate to think I misquoted anyone particularly considering that wasn’t the focus of my question. I’ll absolutely give them the benefit of the doubt and rephrase my question to “Are Episcopalians the only denomination that uses the phrase “The body of Christ, the bread of heaven” vs just saying “The body of Christ” as I typically hear from other traditions.”

@Albion had initially answered well and added the source and timing from which it arose.

Personally I like the phrasing and the subsequent teachings it implies.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tigger45

Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,270,680.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
FWIW...I attended an ACNA congregation this morning and being this thread was still fresh in my mind I listened carefully to the Rector as he handed me the communion bread and he too used the phrase “The body of Christ, bread from heaven.” So I’m guessing they use the same version of the Book of common prayer?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
FWIW...I attended an ACNA congregation this morning and being this thread was still fresh in my mind I listened carefully to the Rector as he handed me the communion bread and he too used the phrase “The body of Christ, bread from heaven.” So I’m guessing they use the same version of the Book of common prayer?
They have their own version.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,270,680.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Ok I was able to look up the proper phrasing for the ACNA for distributing the communion bread with the information I’ve received from this thread. The first page I copied and pasted identifies the source as the ACNA’s Book of Common prayer 2019 and the second page lists the proper phrasing ‘in bolding’ from it’s page 136.

the book of
common prayer
and
administration of the
sacraments
with
other rites and ceremonies of the church
According to the use of the
anglican church in north america
Together with
the new coverdale psalter
anno domini 2019 anglican liturgy press

the agnus dei
The following or some other suitable anthem may be sung or said here
Lamb of God, you take away the sin of the world;
have mercy on us.
have mercy on us.
grant us your peace.
the ministration of communion
Facing the People, the Celebrant may say the following invitation
The gifts of God for the people of God. [Take them in remembrance that Christ died for you and feed on him in your hearts by faith, with thanksgiving.]
or this
Behold the Lamb of God, behold him who takes away the sins of the world. Blessed are those who are invited to the marriage supper of the Lamb. john 1:29t, revelation 19:9
The Ministers receive the Sacrament in both kinds, and then immediately deliver it to the People.
The Bread and Cup are given to the communicants with these words
The Body of Christ, the bread of heaven.
The Blood of Christ, the cup of salvation.
During the ministration of Communion, hymns, psalms, or anthems may be sung. The Celebrant may offer a sentence of Scripture at the conclusion of the Communion.

136 the holy eucharist

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,270,680.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
That's only one of the settings for the Eucharist in that "Book of Common Prayer," I believe--the one that is taken from the 1979 book of The Episcopal Church.

I don't know if that matters to you.
That’s good to know. As you can see I have a very limited working knowledge of the BoCP mainly because both the Episcopal Cathedral and this ACNA congratulation that I’ve attended give out bulletins for their services typically not requiring the use of a BoCP.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟346,393.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
That’s good to know. As you can see I have a very limited working knowledge of the BoCP mainly because both the Episcopal Cathedral and this ACNA congratulation that I’ve attended give out bulletins for their services typically not requiring the use of a BoCP.
They both use completely different BCPs, though I'm not surprised that there are elements from the current Episcopal Church BCP.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I see. Well, it looks like you would appreciate having a copy of the BCP for yourself. That raises the question of "which one?" of course, but I'd suggest the 1928 edition that the Continuing Anglican churches still use and that The Episcopal Church used until it brought out the 1979 edition on its own.

This is essentially the original (1549) edition with a few modifications. These are still often found at used book sales (and both used and new copies can be bought through Amazon and other sellers, too). But that wouldn't be the BCP used in any of the parishes, Episcopal or ACNA, you are likely to attend, I realize.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tigger45

Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,270,680.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I see. Well, it looks like you would appreciate having a copy of the BCP for yourself. That raises the question of "which one?" of course, but I'd suggest the 1928 edition that the Continuing Anglican churches still use and that The Episcopal Church used until it brought out the 1979 edition on its own.

This is essentially the original (1549) edition with a few modifications. These are still often found at used book sales (and both used and new copies can be bought through Amazon and other sellers, too). But that wouldn't be the BCP used in any of the parishes, Episcopal or ACNA, you are likely to attend, I realize.
Thanks that is helpful other than in our case my wife and I are seriously looking at switching to this ACNA congregation. Its the only Anglican option in our area other than Episcopal. I really like the Rector at the Episcopal cathedral and I already know some members from outside of church there its just they are just too liberal for us. Our current Lutheran congregation keeps sounding and looking like a nondenominational church that is sacramental. Nothing is decided yet so we'll probably use the ACNA BCP that the congregation supplies for the service and use the ACNA pdf version off of their website.

• Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Thanks that is helpful other than in our case my wife and I are seriously looking at switching to this ACNA congregation. Its the only Anglican option in our area other than Episcopal. I really like the Rector at the Episcopal cathedral and I already know some members from outside of church there its just they are just too liberal for us.
Yep.

Our current Lutheran congregation keeps sounding and looking like a nondenominational church that is sacramental.
Yep. "Welcome to the club," as they say.

Nothing is decided yet so we'll probably use the ACNA BCP that the congregation supplies for the service and use the ACNA pdf version off of their website.
I understand. It's just that you are a thinker and a student of all things Christian, and I thought having a copy of the traditional book would be worth getting, even if it was not the one used for worship where you are. :)

• Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0