‘Who’s next? Switzerland?’: Internet dumbfounded by Trump fighting with US ally Australia

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,440.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
In a call with Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull last Saturday, Donald Trump reportedly blasted the foreign leader over a refugee agreement, and bragged about the size of his electoral win, the Washington Post reports.

According to the report, Trump, who spoke with five world leaders throughout the day, told Turnbull his “was the worst call by far,” including the one he shared with Russian president Vladimir Putin.

As reports of the call surfaced, Internet users took to Twitter to mock the president’s diplomatic skills:

...Takes a certain sort of idiot-savant genius to start a foreign policy crisis with Australia...If Reince Priebus loved America, he'd connect Trump's calls to actors playing world leaders. "Line 1 is Dingo Dundee from Australia sir."...Time to build an ocean and make Australia pay for it...

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/02/who...ded-by-trump-fighting-with-us-ally-australia/

It's kinda like living in a poorly-written sitcom lately, isn't it?

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,440.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The Washington Post? Now there's a reliable source of information.

Yes it is. I realize that it doesn't do "alternative facts", which distresses alt.right Trump people. Reality can be a real pain, but it does have the virtue of being true.

Apparently, Trump tried to save some face by claiming he hung up on the Prime Minister.

Donald Trump has warned that he plans to be “tough” and “straighten things out” after reports emerged that he had “yelled” at the Australian Prime Minister about their refugee resettlement deal and had hung up mid-conversation.

At a prayer breakfast, the President said: “That’s what I do, I fix things. We’re going to straighten it out. Believe me.

“When you hear about the tough phone calls I’m having, don’t worry about it. Just don’t worry about it. They’re tough. We have to be tough. It’s time we’re going to be a little tough, folks. We’re taken advantage of by every nation in the world virtually. It’s not going to happen any more. It’s not going to happen any more.”

The call with Malcolm Turnbull on Saturday should have lasted an hour, but after 25 minutes Mr Trump wanted off the call.

Australia Sky News sources reported that the President “yelled” at Mr Turnbull as he sat in the Oval Office, flanked by Chief Strategist Stephen Bannon, Press Secretary Sean Spicer and Defence Secretary Michael Flynn. It was the last call of the day after several other scheduled phone calls with several foreign leaders.

Donald Trump says 'don't worry about' call where he hung up on Australian Prime Minister

I don't blame anyone for not believing this stuff. If a writer was peddling this as a movie...

Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Ummm.... well Obama made international promises hedged on the bet that Hillary would be in office. She's not. Now Australia wants to hold Trump responsible for a negotiation that did not even involve his administration. And it is also directly against Trumps immigration plan. This has now become a well placed political landmine.

• Agree
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Redac

Jul 16, 2007
California
✟167,609.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Switzerland is up to something. They're just too... neutral.

aa0bb0d5d3e4276d38bb9f537fc934df7bfec954fff7fa70e84d9b161a345475.jpg

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,425,864.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mr Turnbull told reporters the conversation had been “frank and candid” but said he would not reveal details of a “private” call.

“These conversations are conducted candidly, frankly, privately. If you see reports of them, I’m not going to add to them,” he told reporters in Melbourne.

....whereas someone in the Trump Administration is leaking phone call content that until now, normally remains private. Who else was in the room?

"Australia Sky News sources reported that the President “yelled” at Mr Turnbull as he sat in the Oval Office, flanked by Chief Strategist Stephen Bannon, Press Secretary Sean Spicer and Defence Secretary Michael Flynn."

Donald Trump says 'don't worry about' call where he hung up on Australian Prime Minister

It smells of Bannon....

Upvote 0

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker
So did this actually happen or is it like the Mexico one and both countries say that it didn't happen?

By most accounts it did happen.

While I'm skeptical about the Mexico thing, I hardly take the fact that both countries say it didn't happen as proof that it didn't happen. Even if it did actually occur like that, I wouldn't expect them to acknowledge it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
....whereas someone in the Trump Administration is leaking phone call content that until now, normally remains private. Who else was in the room?

Doesn't have to be in the room, the President of the United States doesn't make private diplomatic calls to foreign leaders.

• Agree
Reactions: SnowyMacie
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,440.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Ummm.... well Obama made international promises hedged on the bet that Hillary would be in office. She's not. Now Australia wants to hold Trump responsible for a negotiation that did not even involve his administration. And it is also directly against Trumps immigration plan. This has now become a well placed political landmine.

More like a whoopee cushion. And no one made him sit on it. And then, after embarrassing himself and the United States once again, he let the appropriately named Prime Minister Turnbull convince him to take in the refugees anyway:

Sean Spicer, Trump’s press secretary, said during a Jan. 31 press briefing that the deal to take in 1,250 refugees would go on, applying extreme vetting to potential arrivals as was agreed in the deal. Spicer, at a press briefing Feb. 2, said the president was "unbelievably disappointed" by the "horrible deal" cut by the Obama administration, but said the process would continue under "extreme vetting" conditions.
Trump spins Obama deal to accept immigrants from Australia

Last edited:
Reactions: Allandavid
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,149,007.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
In a call with Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull last Saturday, Donald Trump reportedly blasted the foreign leader over a refugee agreement, and bragged about the size of his electoral win, the Washington Post reports.

According to the report, Trump, who spoke with five world leaders throughout the day, told Turnbull his “was the worst call by far,” including the one he shared with Russian president Vladimir Putin.

As reports of the call surfaced, Internet users took to Twitter to mock the president’s diplomatic skills:

...Takes a certain sort of idiot-savant genius to start a foreign policy crisis with Australia...If Reince Priebus loved America, he'd connect Trump's calls to actors playing world leaders. "Line 1 is Dingo Dundee from Australia sir."...Time to build an ocean and make Australia pay for it...

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/02/who...ded-by-trump-fighting-with-us-ally-australia/

The EU is next. The probable American Ambassador is on record on his aim to break the EU apart.

European parliament leaders call on EU to reject Trump's likely ambassador pick

Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
More like a whoopee cushion. And no one made him sit on it. And then, after embarrassing himself and the United States once again, he let the appropriately named Prime Minister Turnbull convince him to take in the refugees anyway:

Sean Spicer, Trump’s press secretary, said during a Jan. 31 press briefing that the deal to take in 1,250 refugees would go on, applying extreme vetting to potential arrivals as was agreed in the deal. Spicer, at a press briefing Feb. 2, said the president was "unbelievably disappointed" by the "horrible deal" cut by the Obama administration, but said the process would continue under "extreme vetting" conditions.
Trump spins Obama deal to accept immigrants from Australia

Who is embarrassed? More than likely it is the same folks that go around stating "not my president" anyways. So who cares?

As for the deal, Trump isn't even bound to agree with it, but he did. And he is only going to consider people experiencing life threatening persecution fleeing for asylum.

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Aryeh

Dec 4, 2016
Los Angeles
✟21,820.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

"It takes a certain idiot-savant genius to start a foreign policy crisis with Australia."

"Time to build an ocean and have Australia pay for it."

:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::skull:

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,440.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Many years ago, when I moved to Texas, I asked a native why they put up with the fruitcake politicians they had.

He told me it went back to the pioneer days when politicians were the the only reliable source of public entertainment.

And now, I see what he meant.

Upvote 0