‘THE GOOD CENSOR’: Leaked Google Briefing Admits Abandonment of Free Speech for ‘Safety And Civility

eleos1954

God is Love
Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟713,703.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
‘THE GOOD CENSOR’: Leaked Google Briefing Admits Abandonment of Free Speech for ‘Safety And Civility’

An internal company briefing produced by Google and leaked exclusively to Breitbart News argues that due to a variety of factors, including the election of President Trump, the “American tradition” of free speech on the internet is no longer viable.

Despite leaked video footage showing top executives declaring their intention to ensure that the rise of Trump and the populist movement is just a “blip” in history, Google has repeatedly denied that the political bias of its employees filter into its products.

But the 85-page briefing, titled “The Good Censor,” admits that Google and other tech platforms now “control the majority of online conversations” and have undertaken a “shift towards censorship” in response to unwelcome political events around the world.

Examples cited in the document include the 2016 election and the rise of Alternative for Deutschland (AfD) in Germany.

Responding to the leak, an official Google source said the document should be considered internal research, and not an official company position.

The briefing labels the ideal of unfettered free speech on the internet a “utopian narrative” that has been “undermined” by recent global events as well as “bad behavior” on the part of users. It can be read in full below.

It acknowledges that major tech platforms, including Google, Facebook and Twitter initially promised free speech to consumers. “This free speech ideal was instilled in the DNA of the Silicon Valley startups that now control the majority of our online conversations,” says the document.

The briefing argues that Google, Facebook, YouTube and Twitter are caught between two incompatible positions, the “unmediated marketplace of ideas” vs. “well-ordered spaces for safety and civility.”

The first approach is described as a product of the “American tradition” which “prioritizes free speech for democracy, not civility.” The second is described as a product of the “European tradition,” which “favors dignity over liberty and civility over freedom.” The briefing claims that all tech platforms are now moving toward the European tradition.

Remainder of article below which includes images and links to Google source slides.

'THE GOOD CENSOR': Leaked Google Briefing Admits Abandonment of Free Speech for 'Safety And Civility' | Breitbart

Just what we need the Google Speech Police .... free speech is to protect speech that is controversial .... free speech is any speech .... if you don't like the speech ... don't listen to it. Barring threat to national security ... let all speak.

• Agree
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,173,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Just what we need the Google Speech Police .... free speech is to protect speech that is controversial .... free speech is any speech .... if you don't like the speech ... don't listen to it. Barring threat to national security ... let all speak.

Everyone is still free to speak regardless of what google is doing.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟713,703.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Everyone is still free to speak regardless of what google is doing.

Internet is a our modern day and now foremost method of communication .... if that communication method is being controlled then it is not free speech.

• Agree
Reactions: Gigimo
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,173,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Internet is a our modern day and now foremost method of communication .... if that communication method is being controlled then it is not free speech.
Google only has as much control as you give them as you are not compelled to use their service.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟361,729.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I wonder if you noticed the irony of posting this on this particular website.

Reactions: Desk trauma
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟433,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
As a child of European immigrants, I know understand more my own mindset. Thanks for providing this specific quote!

What specific quote?

I'm asking if you understand the difference between this...

Remember when it was okay to make fun of gay people all the time and feel no guilt? To repress and castigate all those minorities? Now you can't even be disrespectful to them or someone is going to make a stink about it.

And legitimate criticism. If you don't, then maybe your "mindset" is the problem...not some website.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟361,729.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
What specific quote?
“European tradition,” which “favors dignity over liberty and civility over freedom.”

I'm asking if you understand the difference between this...
And legitimate criticism. If you don't, then maybe your "mindset" is the problem...not some website.
Legitimate criticism is a relative term. Is there a way to legitimately criticize gay people? As a group, I don't know if there is.
But when I see people on CF or elsewhere say "the gay agenda is taking over whatever" and all that hokkum, they feel that is legitimate criticism while I see it as malarky.
Also, I think there could even be some illegitimate criticism that, if expressed in a certain tone or manner, is not that big a problem. But making fun, condescending and disrespecting cannot be a part of legitimate criticism in my mind.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟433,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
“European tradition,” which “favors dignity over liberty and civility over freedom.”

What do I have to do with that quote?

Legitimate criticism is a relative term.

No...it isn't. I bet in spite of your difficulties figuring out any legitimate criticism of "gay people"....you probably have no difficulty coming up with "legitimate criticism" of whites, or Christians, or maybe even men.

Am I wrong?

• Informative
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yep. And now they've realized what sort of dangers they've helped unleash by offering such unlimited access to groups of terrible people.

Funny that this was leaked to Breitbart and not a legitimate news organization that doesn't nakedly profit off blind hatred.
Napoleon was a "good" pig when the animals revolted against the farmer. Look at how he turned out.

• Agree
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not really. It's not much of a story. That Google, FB, et al have enable hateful trolls is no surprise, nor should it be a surprise that they'd try to clean things up.

Breitbart is bent out of shape because they're a cesspool that's profited off this openness and stands to lose from things being tightened up.
Well meaning controls always start with the excuse of combating extremists. That's what we heard with the Patriot Act and now those powers are being used politically.

I remember good Libertarians opposing the Patriot Act but are mum when it comes to corporations doing the same.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ok still. EVERY site that comes up for me is clearly religious in nature so your pet suggestion of google controlling the internet goes out the window.
Who said controlled? They do prioritize.

• Agree
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes it is like the roads of the Roman Empire.

• Agree
Upvote 0