‘THE GOOD CENSOR’: Leaked Google Briefing Admits Abandonment of Free Speech for ‘Safety And Civility

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
‘THE GOOD CENSOR’: Leaked Google Briefing Admits Abandonment of Free Speech for ‘Safety And Civility’

An internal company briefing produced by Google and leaked exclusively to Breitbart News argues that due to a variety of factors, including the election of President Trump, the “American tradition” of free speech on the internet is no longer viable.

Despite leaked video footage showing top executives declaring their intention to ensure that the rise of Trump and the populist movement is just a “blip” in history, Google has repeatedly denied that the political bias of its employees filter into its products.

But the 85-page briefing, titled “The Good Censor,” admits that Google and other tech platforms now “control the majority of online conversations” and have undertaken a “shift towards censorship” in response to unwelcome political events around the world.

Examples cited in the document include the 2016 election and the rise of Alternative for Deutschland (AfD) in Germany.

Responding to the leak, an official Google source said the document should be considered internal research, and not an official company position.

The briefing labels the ideal of unfettered free speech on the internet a “utopian narrative” that has been “undermined” by recent global events as well as “bad behavior” on the part of users. It can be read in full below.

It acknowledges that major tech platforms, including Google, Facebook and Twitter initially promised free speech to consumers. “This free speech ideal was instilled in the DNA of the Silicon Valley startups that now control the majority of our online conversations,” says the document.

The briefing argues that Google, Facebook, YouTube and Twitter are caught between two incompatible positions, the “unmediated marketplace of ideas” vs. “well-ordered spaces for safety and civility.”

The first approach is described as a product of the “American tradition” which “prioritizes free speech for democracy, not civility.” The second is described as a product of the “European tradition,” which “favors dignity over liberty and civility over freedom.” The briefing claims that all tech platforms are now moving toward the European tradition.

Remainder of article below which includes images and links to Google source slides.

'THE GOOD CENSOR': Leaked Google Briefing Admits Abandonment of Free Speech for 'Safety And Civility' | Breitbart

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Lot's of voices on the internet. May the Lord help us sift through them wisely.
The hubris of these companies setting themselves up as self proclaimed speech arbiters.

Do a search of “Jesus Christ.” First hit Wikipedia. Ok I get that. But then for suggestions to click first is:

“Jump to Christ myth theory

You would expect some Christian ministry sites but get a host of secular sites to sift through, then 3 LDS sites. Not one link on the first page to an online Bible which has “Jesus Christ” and “Christ Jesus” as key words.

Interesting.

Upvote 0

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I agree, sir. Media has gotten past being a "source of information" and turned into an "manipulator of information". The power these companies wield is terrifying, and I'm not taking sides. They can whip up mobs into a frenzy in a hurry :(.

Upvote 0

JustSomeBloke

Unacceptable Fringe Minority
Site Supporter
Sep 10, 2018
My Home
✟177,126.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
They are acting as self-appointed 'Guardians of the Truth', because they do not trust the population to look at the facts available and come to the 'right' conclusion and course of action.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,276.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
They are acting as self-appointed 'Guardians of the Truth', because they do not trust the population to look at the facts available and come to the 'right' conclusion and course of action.

1984 anyone?

OPPRESSION hand squishing people.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: RestoreTheJoy
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟688,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The hubris of these companies setting themselves up as self proclaimed speech arbiters.

Do a search of “Jesus Christ.” First hit Wikipedia. Ok I get that. But then for suggestions to click first is:

You would expect some Christian ministry sites but get a host of secular sites to sift through, then 3 LDS sites. Not one link on the first page to an online Bible which has “Jesus Christ” and “Christ Jesus” as key words.

Interesting.

It is too much power held by these tech companies.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,205,159.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Unless Google becomes a branch of the government, they're under no obligation to be fair or even-handed, and they have the right to operate their business as they see fit.

If people are really upset about what they feel is an infringement of free speech, and powerful entities skewing public perception by not being even-handed in the content they offer access to, then they need not be angry with tech companies...

They need to be angry with the Reagan Administration, Dennis Patrick (the head of the FCC appointed by Reagan), and the Republicans in the Senate Majority of the 99th congress for successfully repealing the "Fairness Doctrine" that information outlets used to be constrained to following... per this guideline:
The fairness doctrine had two basic elements: It required broadcasters to devote some of their airtime to discussing controversial matters of public interest, and to air contrasting views regarding those matters. Stations were given wide latitude as to how to provide contrasting views: It could be done through news segments, public affairs shows, or editorials. The doctrine did not require equal time for opposing views but required that contrasting viewpoints be presented. The demise of this FCC rule has been considered by some to be a contributing factor for the rising level of party polarization in the United States.[2][3]

I would urge people to read up on the purpose of said doctrine, what it was designed to prevent, and the less-than-pure motives behind the aforementioned entities above working tirelessly to abolish it in the mid-80's.

That's the issue with short-sighted political strategies involving "removing barriers to let the financially powerful entities do what they want"...there's no guarantee that just because the most powerful players in information happen to be on one's own side of the fence today, that that'll be the case forever (as the GOP is finding out). Basically, eliminating this doctrine to clear a path for Rupert Murdoch to air exclusively right-leaning punditry, with no obligation to be even handed or even show constructive opposing viewpoints (who was a powerhouse force at the time) probably seemed like a good idea for the GOP in the 80's...as he was clearly on their side.

As we're seeing today, television media isn't the only game in town (or even the most popular game in town) anymore for gathering info, and there are other big players like Facebook, Google, etc... that don't share the same love for the GOP that Rupert had, and I'm betting there's a least a few republicans out there who are wishing that the fairness doctrine would've been left in tact.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Google is a business, and they have to do what is in the best interest of their bottom line, just like any other.
Their bottom line to get them where they are now was neutrality and free speech.

I viewed their search engine and products as the roads the Romans built which did not care who used them. The very same roads the Apostles used, merchants, soldiers, and pilgrims.

Now Rome had a duty to ensure bandits did not attack people using the roads. But Rome did not clean up the dung on the roads.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟366,121.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens

Interesting.
You know what's interesting is that google populates it's searches based on algo-riddims and traffic on your computer. When I type in Jesus Christ, ALL I get are christian sources
Does Your Internet History Effect Google Search Results?

I'm curious about what you choose to read about online.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟366,121.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Yeah totally. Remember when it was okay to make fun of gay people all the time and feel no guilt? To repress and castigate all those minorities? Now you can't even be disrespectful to them or someone is going to make a stink about it.

Oh man.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,867.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Their bottom line to get them where they are now was neutrality and free speech.

Yep. And now they've realized what sort of dangers they've helped unleash by offering such unlimited access to groups of terrible people.

Funny that this was leaked to Breitbart and not a legitimate news organization that doesn't nakedly profit off blind hatred.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Yeah totally. Remember when it was okay to make fun of gay people all the time and feel no guilt? To repress and castigate all those minorities? Now you can't even be disrespectful to them or someone is going to make a stink about it.

Oh man.

Is that the same as "criticism" in your eyes?

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟366,121.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Is that the same as "criticism" in your eyes?
The first approach is described as a product of the “American tradition” which “prioritizes free speech for democracy, not civility.” The second is described as a product of the “European tradition,” which “favors dignity over liberty and civility over freedom.” The briefing claims that all tech platforms are now moving toward the European tradition.
As a child of European immigrants, I know understand more my own mindset. Thanks for providing this specific quote!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You know what's interesting is that google populates it's searches based on algo-riddims and traffic on your computer. When I type in Jesus Christ, ALL I get are christian sources
Does Your Internet History Effect Google Search Results?

I'm curious about what you choose to read about online.
Yes if you see my posts on the theology threads, my search history should call up several ministries and Bible sites. But they don't.. That only happens when I specifically type in a verse from memory.

The only first page hit on Jesus that was close was National Geographic. I don't frequent any Mormon sites and the one ministry related site was a place I never went to.

• Agree
Reactions: Gigimo
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yep. And now they've realized what sort of dangers they've helped unleash by offering such unlimited access to groups of terrible people.

Funny that this was leaked to Breitbart and not a legitimate news organization that doesn't nakedly profit off blind hatred.
It's kind of odd the other news sites are not covering this. Don't you think?

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,867.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It's kind of odd the other news sites are not covering this. Don't you think?

Not really. It's not much of a story. That Google, FB, et al have enable hateful trolls is no surprise, nor should it be a surprise that they'd try to clean things up.

Breitbart is bent out of shape because they're a cesspool that's profited off this openness and stands to lose from things being tightened up.

• Agree
Reactions: rambot
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟366,121.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Yes if you see my posts on the theology threads, my search history should call up several ministries and Bible sites. But they don't.. That only happens when I specifically type in a verse from memory.

The only first page hit on Jesus that was close was National Geographic. I don't frequent any Mormon sites and the one ministry related site was a place I never went to.
Ok still. EVERY site that comes up for me is clearly religious in nature so your pet suggestion of google controlling the internet goes out the window.

Upvote 0