‘Outrage!’ 6 journalists including RT reporter face ‘inappropriate’ rioting charges

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
  • Agree
Reactions: Cimorene

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Most of them have already been set free.

Two Journalists Charged With Felony Rioting During Trump Inauguration Protests

According to The Guardian, Engels' arrest report reads in part:

"The crowd was observed enticing a riot by organizing, promoting, encouraging, and participating in acts of violence in furtherance of the riot," the police narrative said. "The crowd was observed braking [sic] windows, lighting fires, vandalizing police vehicles, burned a limousine, and other acts of violence. The damaged was determined to excess $5,000.00."

That last part is important, because under the DC criminal code, when property damage exceeds $5,000, the most serious rioting charges are applied. A spokesman for Vocativ said in a statement that Engel's arrest is "an affront to the First Amendment and journalistic freedom" and that they will help Engel fight the "unfounded and outrageous charge."

Rubenstein's Twitter feed shows that he was trailing black bloc demonstrators who at various points in the day were lighting fires, breaking windows, blocking Trump supporters from moving freely, and occasionally throwing punches. Rubenstein says he showed his press credentials and camera to police, but he was arrested as part of the sweep anyway.

So he was running around with a bunch of black bloc morons and got caught up in a sweep.

One journalist who was not charged with any crime was Natasha Lennard, who penned a popular article for The Nation wherein she writes about how she actively participated in the "anti-capitalist, anti-fascist bloc" which rejected "polite protest" in favor of tactics such as "human blockades, smash[ing] corporate windows, trash-can fires, burning [a] limousine, "Make America Great Again" caps reduced to ashes," and of course, sucker-punching the loathsome alt-right leader Richard Spencer.

So they are accused of participating in the riots.

Huh.

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
They should be released without charges. And probably with an apology.
Shouldn't we find out if they did what they are accused of yet? How about we let a grand jury decide if they should be released without charges.

Upvote 0

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Shouldn't we find out if they did what they are accused of yet? How about we let a grand jury decide if they should be released without charges.

Well, the police just rounded up a bunch of guys based on where they were at the time. Arrest first, ask questions later.

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well, the police just rounded up a bunch of guys based on where they were at the time. Arrest first, ask questions later.
They just rounded up a bunch of people who were walking around with people who were destroying property and assaulting people.

Upvote 0

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
They just rounded up a bunch of people who were walking around with people who were destroying property and assaulting people.

They just rounded up a bunch of people in an area where people had been destroying property and assaulting people.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would think they would be more discerning of which press people were actually involved in causing damage and which ones were filming the carnage. That film was evidence in their favor.
The police shouldn't be making enemies of the press.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The press have already made enemies of the police. Remember "Hands UP, Don't Shoot?"
I guess I expect too much from some professionals. Such as doing what is right out of self-respect. I don't mean pride but the type of self-respect that we are taught to have in the scriptures. To not defile ourselves even in the face of persecution.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I guess I expect too much from some professionals. Such as doing what is right out of self-respect.

Are you talking about the journalists or the cops?

Believe it or not, this isn't snarky. It started out snarky, then I realized I really didn't know who you were talking about.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Are you talking about the journalists or the cops?

Believe it or not, this isn't snarky. It started out snarky, then I realized I really didn't know who you were talking about.
Both of them really.
If either one wants respect, they should respect themselves enough to act with honor and good ethics.

• Agree
Reactions: SarahsKnight
Upvote 0