‘How hard can that be, saying that Nazis are bad?’ Obama’s anti-Trump speech, annotated

waves

not so new
Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
✟94,770.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Former president Barack Obama said he had planned to stay out of national politics after leaving the White House. But he made clear Friday that's so not the plan anymore. In his first political speech since leaving the White House, Obama indicted President Trump for relying on race-baiting rhetoric and slammed congressional Republicans for not standing up to Trump, claiming nothing short of democracy is at stake.

‘How hard can that be, saying that Nazis are bad?’ Obama’s anti-Trump speech, annotated

• Winner
Reactions: Chesterton

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Obama can get back to me when he's ready to admit that Antifa is a terrorist group, that there's a crisis in Europe due to their mass immigration, and that his penchant for shooting his mouth off damaged race relations here at home.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Fascism is right authoritarianism. Though it resembles some forms of extreme left authoritarianism in some ways, in others it radically differs. Typically, fascism is strongly nationalist and xenophobic in a way that left authoritarianism is not. In the name of traditional institutions like family, race, national myths, or traditional morality, fascism promotes repression and the denial of human rights. Leftist regimes do not do this.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,822.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Obama can get back to me when he's ready to admit that Antifa is a terrorist group, that there's a crisis in Europe due to their mass immigration, and that his penchant for shooting his mouth off damaged race relations here at home.
Given what I've seen, he's way too bright to fall for right-wing fantasies like those.

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Theo102

Sep 10, 2018
Auckland
✟24,484.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Rationalist
Marital Status
Private
Nazi ideology came from a few different sources, calling it good or bad is an oversimplification IMO. Also there's a connection between the Nazis and the Deep State via the Dulles brothers, and between the Nazis and the Zionists for the common goal of moving jews from Germany to Palestine.

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
That's pretty rich coming from Obama of all people.

He loves anti-semites.

Heck the Pastor of his church loved anti-semites. Obama never called either of them out.

newsEngin.21176103_DSCN0441obama-shopped-3.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,822.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/09/the-rise-of-the-violent-left/534192/

Even The Atlantic is having to admit that Antifa brings the violence with them wherever they go, so how is that a fantasy?
I find it very strange that people can't just agree that yeah, Trump's response to a neo-Nazi rally where Americans were killed was pretty lame. Instead, they have to bring up some sort of nonsense about Antifa, BLM, or whatever.

As the thread title asks, why is it so hard for some people to just admit that white supremacists are bad people?

• Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

*Starlight*

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time
Jan 19, 2005
Right in front of you *waves*
Visit site
✟133,073.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
American politics seems weird in general. Here are two example statements:

1. Right-wing authoritarianism is an ideology that caused a great amount of harm in the world. It shouldn't be promoted. People who promote it, for example by proudly displaying symbols like the Nazi swastika, are definitely wrong.

1. Left-wing authoritarianism is an ideology that caused a great amount of harm in the world. It shouldn't be promoted. People who promote it, for example by proudly displaying symbols like the hammer and sickle, are definitely wrong.

From what I've seen about American politicians and political activists, very few of them would be fully comfortable making both of these statements. They would typically be very happy to make one of them, while the other one would be very toned down, full of "if"s and "but"s.

• Agree
Reactions: expos4ever
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
American politics seems weird in general. Here are two example statements:

1. Right-wing authoritarianism is an ideology that caused a great amount of harm in the world. It shouldn't be promoted. People who promote it, for example by proudly displaying symbols like the Nazi swastika, are definitely wrong.

1. Left-wing authoritarianism is an ideology that caused a great amount of harm in the world. It shouldn't be promoted. People who promote it, for example by proudly displaying symbols like the hammer and sickle, are definitely wrong.

From what I've seen about American politicians and political activists, very few of them would be fully comfortable making both of these statements. They would typically be very happy to make one of them, while the other one would be very toned down, full of "if"s and "but"s.

The average American doesn't like either. It's just the 'activists' that are so exceptional.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,822.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
In case you didn't realize it, that's the guy who actually killed Osama.

So? Not sure how that makes it any less of an attempt to derail the thread. Why did you think military action halfway around the world during the previous administration in any way relates to the questionable reaction of the current president to white supremacists here in the US? Seems like quite a stretch to me.

Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
I find it very strange that people can't just agree that yeah, Trump's response to a neo-Nazi rally where Americans were killed was pretty lame. Instead, they have to bring up some sort of nonsense about Antifa, BLM, or whatever.

As the thread title asks, why is it so hard for some people to just admit that white supremacists are bad people?

It is the only response humans do well: projection.

It would be funny if it wasn't such a dangerous game of entitlement, and the fight some are willing to put up to keep that entitlement. However, everyone has a part to play. Those on any partisan side are being equally exploited.

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Nonsense about Antifa... you mean the other group of people who were there in Charlottesville? The people who've been starting fights, attacking people, destroying property over the past 3+ years? The same people who Trump also said had decent people among them? Odd that you're fine with that portion of his comments.

Reactions: Willie T
Upvote 0