‘Communal papacy’ may be a baby-step toward democracy

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
The resignation of Benedict XVI and election of Francis can be seen as the first steps toward a Spirit-led unfolding of a new-style papacy for the Third Millennium.

When Pope Benedict XVI resigned in 2013, many wondered what role a retired pope might have in the Church. After the election of Pope Francis, many continued to wonder whether the presence of a retired pope would be a threat in any way to the authority of the new one.

Given those concerns, the low-profile role chosen by the pope emeritus has been quite reassuring. Similarly, Francis’ acceptance of his predecessor’s draft of his own first encyclical letter, Lumen Fidei, in June 2013, was more than a gracious gesture of civility.

Despite initial apprehensions, these developments can be seen as the first steps toward a Spirit-led unfolding of a new-style papacy for the Third Millennium.

Historically, such unfolding of the nature and exercise of the papacy has not been unusual in Church life. It was evident, though in convoluted ways, in resolving the knotty wrangle of three claimants to the papal tiara 600 years ago: Gregory XII, Benedict XIII and self-claiming John XXIII. 2017 will mark the 6th centenary of the election of Pope Martin V to replace these three claimants.

That centennial may help us further reflect on the presence of two popes today, though in far more salutary circumstances.

Continued below;
http://www.cruxnow.com/church/2016/06/04/communal-papacy-may-be-a-baby-step-toward-democracy/

Last edited:

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
why do we act like democracy is always a good thing?
God did not use democracy when He gave authority to Moses
nor when He set up the Judges or Kings

Its not of God its human made.
Turning a divine organization as the Catholic Church into something totally human is best described as a total and unconditional apostacy from the One true Catholic faith.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rhamiel
Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
Democracy is an illusion and is just a way for a very few to have it their way while deceiving the masses to believe that their voices are being heard which really isn't the case.
Besides democracy is often as totalitarian as any other governmental form and opens for the same evils as they do.
Remember that Hitler where elected and so was Obama not to compare their evilness, but to have such leaders says it all.

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟756,418.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
CS Lewis made the comment we have "Democracy" not because every man is so good and wise that he deserves a say in the Commonwealth, but because we can't be trusted. Dictatorships always become the preserve of a favoured few.

I think the Church in this current century will have to weather very stormy waters, and a "democratic" or "conservative" Papacy will be the least of its worries.

Upvote 0

AvilaSurfer

Site Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟935,896.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I guess I'm clueless. I have no idea what a communal papacy is. And the word 'democracy' has no place in the Catholic Church. If we start voting on stuff, God help us all. Bishops, yes. Laity, absolutely no.

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
CS Lewis made the comment we have "Democracy" not because every man is so good and wise that he deserves a say in the Commonwealth, but because we can't be trusted. Dictatorships always become the preserve of a favoured few.

I think the Church in this current century will have to weather very stormy waters, and a "democratic" or "conservative" Papacy will be the least of its worries.

I think its more like the opposite actually.
Like you I believe that nasty storms are heading our way and for the church to survive its deepest crisis its in need of a rock solid papacy.
A firm hand on the wheel means everything especially in turbulent times.

Upvote 0