Apr 17, 2004
Ankeny, Iowa
Visit site
✟8,437.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

R.C. Sproul brings years of instructional experience into this book, explaining various aspects of Reformed theology in ways that are not rushed and yet include all of the information needed to have a firm grasp of Reformed theology. The book could be used as a primer for a seminary education, but does not come across as a dry and dusty tome. It is extremely well-balanced, explaining the why’s as much as the what’s of theology.

For example, when discussing the fundamental differences between Roman Catholic theology and the theology of the Reformation, Sproul goes to great lengths to make sure we understand what Rome did and did not teach and what teachings were and were not authorized by Rome. The differences highlighted in the book are actually quite subtle and are very well explained in this book.

Missing from the Roman Catholic formula for justification is the crucial word alone. It is not an exaggeration to say that the eye of the Reformation tornado was this one little word.

-Page 66. emphasis in original.

As the five solas are examined, the word “by” is also highlighted as an essential element. I have centered my attention on the main words such as “Fide” or “Scriptura” since this theology was introduced to me, but Sproul was able to explain the solas in such a way that each word is vital to our understanding of the corresponding disagreement between Rome and the Reformers.

Throughout the very generous first half of the book, Sproul was a model of one who defends truth in a spirit of love. There were many sections I felt compelled to read twice, just to take in his explanation of Catholic and Protestant doctrinal differences. These are responses worth modeling when discussions with Catholic apologists wish to discuss justification among other matters. It’s not just a matter of mimicking the words used by Sproul, but the very loving way in which these matters of protest are presented.

Each of the five points of the TULIP are well defined and well defended, both for what they mean and also what they are often mistaken to mean. I took a great amount of interest in how they would be described by a respected professor of systematic theology and apologetics. Sproul did not disappoint to answer the most common objections to each of the five points, and did so again with a loving heart. I can only say this based on the tone of his responses in the book, and it serves as a wonderful example of how well this man expresses both the facts that may not be welcome to all ears and the love that must drive a servant of Christ if one is to honor our treasure.

I never thought I’d do this, but I believe I will use the dedication that R.C. Sproul used at the beginning of the book to help me close this review.

To Jim Seneff: A layman who embraces Reformed theology, loves Reformed theology, and lives Reformed theology.

After reading this book, I have a clearer understanding of what it means to live Reformed theology. A religion can be embraced and even loved on a certain level, but it takes a theology, a deeper understanding of God, for one to live according to their faith where it truly matters. That place is the heart, and Reformed theology fully endorses a change of the heart that the desires of man will follow.

Further reviews of this book can be found at the Diet of Bookworms.

Foundthelight

St. Peter's R.C. Church, Delhi, NY
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2003
Central New York
Visit site
✟26,728.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I just picked it up based on the above review. It is a very good book. It came with an insert advertising a 12 part video series. I am going to talk my pastor into letting me use it for the fall adult class.

Upvote 0