Veteran- I am an Orthodox Christian
Jan 24, 2007
New England
✟16,923.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
“The Other Holy Land” will be rebroadcast on the Hallmark Channel, Sunday, June 7, 2009 from 7 - 8 am EDT and PDT; and 6 am CDT. The hour long beautifully filmed program features four places in Asia Minor: Constantinople, Cappadocia, Ephesus and Smyrna – where it becomes strikingly clear that the history of Christianity in "The Other Holy Land" is also the history of the Greek Orthodox Church.

The documentary was filmed in Turkey and the United States and includes interviews with Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew, Archbishop Demetrios of America and other noted theologians and historians. The use of dramatized voices brings to life primary texts from the early Fathers and Church writers; early texts are juxtaposed with visuals of today’s religious services including a Divine Liturgy celebrated by His All Holiness Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew in Cappadocia.

Participants, in addition to Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew, Archbishop Demetrios and include: Bishop Kallistos Ware, Rev. Dr. Robert G. Stephanopoulos; Rev. Dr. Demetrios Constantelos; Rev. Dr. Forrest Church; Dr. Helen Evans; Dr. Robert Ousterhout; and narrator Robert Aubry Davis.

Produced by Frank Frost Productions in cooperation with the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese Office of News and Information and Greek Orthodox Telecommunications, the program was funded by the Leadership 100 Endowment Fund, The Aegean Free Trade Zone and Faith & Values Media.

DVD copies of this program are available for purchase at $20 each, plus $6 shipping. Call GOTelecom at 1-800-888-6835. For more information and to find Hallmark stations in your area log on to: hallmarkchannel.com - Make Yourself At Home.

cassc

Veteran- I am an Orthodox Christian
Jan 24, 2007
New England
✟16,923.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I'm always on the look out for quality media to use with my Sunday School class so I'm looking forward to seeing this. If anyone caught it the first time around, I'm wondering if it was any good? Incidentally I was just on Orthodox Marketplace picking up a copy of 'The Orthodox Military New Testament' and saw that this program is on sale there as well (flat $2 S&H on orders over $25).

Upvote 0

Andrew21091

Jun 21, 2007
Grand Rapids, MI
✟17,221.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I got it from Netflix and watched it and it was ok. They talked about the history of Christianity in Asia Minor but they don't mention what happened to all the Christians in Turkey. I could be wrong but I don't think they mentioned the exchange in populations of 1921 which forced many Christians out of their homes in Asia Minor and were sent to Greece. I've read some really facinating accounts of life in parts of Asia Minor before the exchange in populations by reading the lives of Elder Ieronymos of Aegina (from Cappadocia) and Elder Arsenios the Cave-dweller (from Pontos). Elder Ieronymos would always talk about his home back in Cappadocia when he talked about the piety of the people who lived there; everyone went to the services, fasted, and held firmly to the traditions of the Church. The Elder would talk about when he was young he would go off to the cave chapels around the village he lived in Cappadocia and he said that there was hundreds of chapels. It's very beautiful to read about such places but its sad to look at that land today where places like Cappadocia, Smyrna, and Pontos were all Christian lands and now there are no Christians there anymore.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.