Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
They didn't win the suit, it was settled without a trial, which couldn't have taken place anyway, until the criminal proceedings were complete.

I'm sure the insurance company for the HOA decided just to settle the thing. The million bucks they settled on, would have been close to or even less than their legal fees to go to trial.

This settlement means nothing about whether a jury would find Zimmerman would be found responsible for Martin's death in a civil suit.

So it wasn't a legal 'suit', it was an uncontested insurance 'claim'.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So it wasn't a legal 'suit', it was an uncontested insurance 'claim'.

They likely did file a suit and it was settled out of court like most suits are.

Again, these suits are very expensive to defend, even if your defense is rock solid, it costs big money. Insurance companies will weigh how much it will cost to simply defend and many times just settle it to avoid legal costs. When they settle, they typically have a settlement statement that states they are not acknowledging any wrong doing, etc..

Upvote 0
O

OathKeeper99

Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.....
How insensetive of you.

I give this comment 5 out of 5 Skittles.

skittles_small.jpg

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
They likely did file a suit and it was settled out of court like most suits are.

Again, these suits are very expensive to defend, even if your defense is rock solid, it costs big money. Insurance companies will weigh how much it will cost to simply defend and many times just settle it to avoid legal costs. When they settle, they typically have a settlement statement that states they are not acknowledging any wrong doing, etc..

I was seeking clarification of Bedford's statement (below), which he feels portends victory in a subsequent civil suit against Zimmerman.

"The Martins already won the wrongful death suit against the homeowners association, and now it is Zimmerman's turn..."

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I was seeking clarification of Bedford's statement (below), which he feels portends victory in a subsequent civil suit against Zimmerman.

"The Martins already won the wrongful death suit against the homeowners association, and now it is Zimmerman's turn..."

Yea, they settled out of court (very common). At a million bucks, the insurance company likely paid less in the settlement, than they would have in total legal fees to take it to trial and win.

This settlement has zero bearing on what would happen in a civil suit against Zimmerman.

Again, the more I think about it, a civil suit would bring everything to the table for all to see.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Exactly this and then we have Bedford's comment:

"The Martins already won the wrongful death suit against the homeowners association, and now it is Zimmerman's turn."

It's completely par for the thread though.

Well, winning the suit implies it was tried in front of a jury with evidence and they won. This is not the case. It looks like they took a quick settlement from the HOA and that could be because the Martin's attorney felt the case might not be won in court. I'm guessing here, but if the suit would have went forward and the Martin's won a verdict, they would have received a hell of a lot more than a mil.

Lastly, wrongful death suits are not allowed to move forward in the courts system until the criminal proceeding is completed.

Upvote 0
O

OathKeeper99

Well, winning the suit implies it was tried in front of a jury with evidence and they won. This is not the case. It looks like they took a quick settlement from the HOA and that could be because the Martin's attorney felt the case might not be won in court. I'm guessing here, but if the suit would have went forward and the Martin's won a verdict, they would have received a hell of a lot more than a mil.

Lastly, wrongful death suits are not allowed to move forward in the courts system until the criminal proceeding is completed.
They had Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, the entire MSM and print protesting and the FBI and the DOJ breathing down thier necks.

I think it was just based on the prudent thing to do from thier attorneys perspective.

Upvote 0
O

OathKeeper99

Yea, they settled out of court (very common). At a million bucks, the insurance company likely paid less in the settlement, than they would have in total legal fees to take it to trial and win.

This settlement has zero bearing on what would happen in a civil suit against Zimmerman.

Again, the more I think about it, a civil suit would bring everything to the table for all to see.
I give this comment 5 Skittles out of 5

skittles_small.jpg

Upvote 0
O

OathKeeper99

They had Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, the entire MSM and print protesting and the FBI and the DOJ breathing down thier necks.

I think it was just based on the prudent thing to do from thier attorneys perspective.
I forgot, they had the black panthers down there handing out Zimmerman wanted 'Dead or Alive' flyers and nobody did anything.

I'm getting even more upset with Obama's speech now. :confused:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
O

OathKeeper99

Who are "people" and what does "bgi" mean?
People are those can see with thier own eyes that Homeowners associations can't compete with the narrative that these two charlatans named Jesse and Al can dish out upon innocent victims because the "BGI" that they represent, [BGI = Black Greiviance Industry] has no forgivness in them and represent no common ground to work with.

These two charlatans are nothing more than opportunists that continue to fund thier petty existance by way of extortion.

Upvote 0

Swim411

Jun 7, 2013
✟1,962.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
People are those can see with thier own eyes that Homeowners associations can't compete with the narrative that these two charlatans named Jesse and Al can dish out upon innocent victims because the "BGI" that they represent, [BGI = Black Greiviance Industry] has no forgivness in them and represent no common ground to work with.

These two charlatans are nothing more than opportunists that continue to fund thier petty existance by way of extortion.

I see, you despise people who are successful capitalists. And you want to punish them for succeeding.

You are saying that successful capitalist are "extortionists"?

Do you think you could have more of a Marxist point of view than that?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Swim411

Jun 7, 2013
✟1,962.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
lol. Successful extortionists they are. ;)

You hate to see successful capitalists, don't you?

Tell us what they did that was illegal. Is making money dishonorable in your mind?

If you hate them so much, then put them out of business. As it is now, the huge rise in florid racism means business is a boomin' in the Black Grievance Industry!

Upvote 0

Panzerkamfwagen

Es braust unser Panzer im Sturmwind dahin.
May 19, 2015
✟19,002.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The prosecution's case emphasizes that going to a corner store for iced tea and Skittles is not a criminal act that should result in death.

It also questions why a 17 year old boy would deliberately attack a 28 year old man who outweighed him by 40 pounds - and how Zimmerman could be shouting for help, while claiming that Martin was covering his nose and mouth with his hands.

How many times are we going to perpetuate the lie that Trayvon bought iced tea?

Upvote 0

Swim411

Jun 7, 2013
✟1,962.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
How many times are we going to perpetuate the lie that Trayvon bought iced tea?

It isn't a lie. The AriZona Beverage Company had one product, Green Tea, at its inception. Thus, all things AriZona are called "tea" in the same way many call any soda pop, "Coke."

Pretending there was some sinister plan for his beverage is about as disgusting and racially disparaging as it gets. But some people are drumming up the fruit juice—and not tea—story to imply just that. Well, those people are bottom feeding scum. When I lived on a military base with a high percentage of African Americans in the 1970’s, the pop machines were filled with very sweet fruit drinks like Welch's Grape, Fanta Orange, and Hi C.

The notion that these fruit drinks are no longer simply drank is insane.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.