Jun 7, 2013
✟1,962.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
As is any businessman -- nothing sells better than fear.

As in any business, there is nothing better than a gusher. And the Zimmerman trial was to civil and human rights leaders as a gusher from a new drill was to oil men.

Upvote 0

Panzerkamfwagen

Es braust unser Panzer im Sturmwind dahin.
May 19, 2015
✟19,002.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
It isn't a lie. The AriZona Beverage Company had one product, Green Tea, at its inception. Thus, all things AriZona are called "tea" in the same way many call any soda pop, "Coke."

Pretending there was some sinister plan for his beverage is about as disgusting and racially disparaging as it gets. But some people are drumming up the fruit juice—and not tea—story to imply just that. Well, those people are bottom feeding scum. When I lived on a military base with a high percentage of African Americans in the 1970’s, the pop machines were filled with very sweet fruit drinks like Welch's Grape, Fanta Orange, and Hi C.

The notion that these fruit drinks are no longer simply drank is insane.

Yes it is a lie. He bought an Arizona Watermelon Juice Cocktail or something like that.

Not iced tea.

It even says in the probable cause affidavit, which is a legal document, and no place for colloquialism that Martin purchased "iced tea." Which-to my mind- conjures up Snapple or some such. It's a formal legal document and has no place for colloquialism, because it can very region, by region. If, for instance, I was running a bar in Washington State, for example, and someone came up and asked for a coke, they would receive a can or bottle marked "Coca-Cola." Because that's what a Coke is. It's not a slang term for any sort of soda. It's a shorthand way of referring to Coca-Cola. It's like tea. If I'm taking orders at a convenience store and someone asks for tea, I'm not likely to hand them a can of Arizona Watermelon Juice Cocktail. It makes as much sense as someone using the term Coke to order Sprite or Pepsi, i.e., none. Coke is not a generic term for soda, and tea is not a term for watermelon juice.

The prosecution probably lied about that fact in the affidavit to avoid a racial stereotype. Putting Martin's beverage of choice into an affidavit has absolutely no bearing on a second degree murder charge. Lying about it, leads one to wonder what else the prosecution is covering up. Quite frankly, I think that they just wanted to avoid the racial stereotype. Still, it would have been amusing to watch the Trayvon Martin protesters on the march with their watermelon juice and skittles.

Upvote 0

Bedford

May 10, 2013
✟13,490.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
How many times are we going to perpetuate the lie that Trayvon bought iced tea?
I've noticed that this point is one you love to correct. At first I thought it was quite trivial and now I realize just how important this really is. Martin had to have the watermelon flavor because that is what they use to concoct their highly potent and dangerous drug combination which made Martin turn into a ravenous wild animal and when he went crazy on Zimmerman. Had it been just an iced tea, Martin would have not been transformed into the thuggish animal we all now know he was. That has to be the answer because it it is not the answer, then it seems so trivial to keep correcting people on Martin's beverage selection.

Upvote 0

Bedford

May 10, 2013
✟13,490.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Yes it is a lie. He bought an Arizona Watermelon Juice Cocktail or something like that.

Not iced tea.

It even says in the probable cause affidavit, which is a legal document, and no place for colloquialism that Martin purchased "iced tea." Which-to my mind- conjures up Snapple or some such. It's a formal legal document and has no place for colloquialism, because it can very region, by region. If, for instance, I was running a bar in Washington State, for example, and someone came up and asked for a coke, they would receive a can or bottle marked "Coca-Cola." Because that's what a Coke is. It's not a slang term for any sort of soda. It's a shorthand way of referring to Coca-Cola. It's like tea. If I'm taking orders at a convenience store and someone asks for tea, I'm not likely to hand them a can of Arizona Watermelon Juice Cocktail. It makes as much sense as someone using the term Coke to order Sprite or Pepsi, i.e., none. Coke is not a generic term for soda, and tea is not a term for watermelon juice.

The prosecution probably lied about that fact in the affidavit to avoid a racial stereotype. Putting Martin's beverage of choice into an affidavit has absolutely no bearing on a second degree murder charge. Lying about it, leads one to wonder what else the prosecution is covering up. Quite frankly, I think that they just wanted to avoid the racial stereotype. Still, it would have been amusing to watch the Trayvon Martin protesters on the march with their watermelon juice and skittles.

This is worse than my explanation. The 'iced tea' conspiracy. Good thing he did not order a 'pop' or we would have driven ourselves mad wondering which 'pop' he bought. 'pop' is slang for coke.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This is worse than my explanation. The 'iced tea' conspiracy. Good thing he did not order a 'pop' or we would have driven ourselves mad wondering which 'pop' he bought. 'pop' is slang for coke.

'Pop' is a regional generic term for soft drinks much like the term 'bubbler' is a regionally used for an outdoor water fountain (the term 'pop' is for the sound of the cap being removed). 'Coke' is a more widely used generic term for soft drinks.

Upvote 0

Panzerkamfwagen

May 19, 2015
✟19,002.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
'Pop' is a regional generic term for soft drinks much like the term 'bubbler' is a regionally used for an outdoor water fountain (the term 'pop' is for the sound of the cap being removed). 'Coke' is a more widely used generic term for soft drinks.

Coke is less widely used than pop.

I've never heard someone desiring a 7-Up or a Sprite ask for Coke. It makes as much sense as claiming a watermelon juice cocktail is iced tea.

Upvote 0

TheDirector

Jul 22, 2013
✟247.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
ROTFL ... charged with criminal misconduct, and disbarred for life. :thumbsup:

...for losing a case? Are you serious?
Ok, can we all calm the *beep* down? The verdict has been rendered, the jury has spoken, the case is closed.
Or rather, it SHOULD have been closed, except Obama wants to circumvent the justice system to secure a conviction anyway for the sake of his popularity, but that's another matter.

Upvote 0

TheDirector

Jul 22, 2013
✟247.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Obama said no such thing, and you are making stuff up.

So, the "Yeah, the jury, after having been presented with the evidence, declared him not guilty of racially profiling and murdering TM.....but I think he did it anyway, so I'm gonna have the DoJ "investigate the possibility" of a civil rights charge" didn't happen?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bedford

May 10, 2013
✟13,490.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
So, the "Yeah, the jury, after having been presented with the evidence, declared him not guilty of racially profiling and murdering TM.....but I think he did it anyway, so I'm gonna have the DoJ "investigate the possibility" of a civil rights charge" didn't happen?
There was no count of racial profiling against Zimmerman in his trial. Which trial were you watching?

you still misrepresented Obama's words.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I say, let the feds investigate all they want. They already have been for over a year, with 40 interviews documented and in the books. Let the civil case move forward, so ALL the evidence will be on the table for the nation to see. Maybe that will help clear up what is dividing the nation and calm things down a bit.

And by the way, while these investigations are going on, open one up into the behavior of the prosecution once Angela Corey took over. In fairness, this should be done. If they have nothing to hide, they should have nothing to fear.

Upvote 0

TheDirector

Jul 22, 2013
✟247.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
There was no count of racial profiling against Zimmerman in his trial. Which trial were you watching?

you still misrepresented Obama's words.

What trial were you watching? Most of the case against GZ was build on "He a racist who hates black people and therefore shot TM needlessly!"
I am not misrepresenting Obama's ACTIONS (I don't care about the man's words. Talk is, as the saying goes, cheap.).

Upvote 0

Bedford

May 10, 2013
✟13,490.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
What trial were you watching? Most of the case against GZ was build on "He a racist who hates black people and therefore shot TM needlessly!"

I was watching the trial of a man charged with murder II and manslaughter. You were watching some other trial.

I am not misrepresenting Obama's ACTIONS (I don't care about the man's words. Talk is, as the saying goes, cheap.).
You are, and I agree talk is cheap. I have no problem with cheap talk as long as it is not a misrepresentation of what was said, like what you are doing to Obama.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Yes, the prosecution did bring that up throughout the trial, as part of the emotional ploy they were attempting with the jury to get them to make a decision based more on emotion, as opposed to the evidence.

In theory, the jurors could have thought Zimmerman profiled Martin that night, but was still justified in acting in self defense.

Possible racial profiling would be more of a focus in any wrongful death suit and the feds investigation. As I have stated, part of me wants the wrongful death suit to happen, so all the evidence can be put on the table to see. That would include, not just producing evidence that Zimmerman profiled Martin, but possibly that Martin profiled Zimmerman, once he recognized he wasn't black.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Swim411

Jun 7, 2013
✟1,962.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
In theory, the jurors could have thought Zimmerman profiled Martin that night, but was still justified in acting in self defense.

There is no "theory" about it anymore. It is fact. Being a racially profiling, gun touting, hair triggered vigilante is PERFECTLY LEGAL in the state of Florida.

And saying it is okay is no more morally acceptable than saying slavery, if legal, was acceptable. Because it most certainly is not. And you have no morally valid justification for supporting such a egregious law.

Upvote 0

Panzerkamfwagen

May 19, 2015
✟19,002.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
There is no "theory" about it anymore. It is fact. Being a racially profiling, gun touting, hair triggered vigilante is PERFECTLY LEGAL in the state of Florida.

Racially profiling people is not illegal, except in certain police instances, as far as I'm aware.

Also, gun touting is protected by the First Amendment.

Zimmerman sustained multiple contusions and broken bones as a result of a beating administered by Trayvon Martin. If that's your definition of hair trigger, that's fine with me.

And saying it is okay is no more morally acceptable than saying slavery, if legal, was acceptable. Because it most certainly is not. And you have no morally valid justification for supporting such a egregious law.

Slavery is legal. Perhaps you should consider carefully reading the 13th Amendment. Or perhaps the Selective Draft Law Cases.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Well for it to be a fact that Zimmerman profiled Martin based on race, the legal system will need evidence and so do I. It may be a "fact" in your mind, just as someone else may claim; it is a "fact" that Martin profiled Zimmerman and attacked him because he looked white.

Obama speculated in his speech, maybe this wouldn't have happened if Martin was white. Why not speculate, maybe Zimmerman doesn't get attacked if he was black?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.