What eeeeeez it man?!
Dec 22, 2005
MI
✟8,565.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I read the article and have not been swayed (big shock right?). I did take a quote from the article that I found incorrect

We are called to be ambassadors for Christ (2 Cor. 5:20), representing His kingdom and standards. Ambassadors are not truly at liberty to represent themselves or their own “authenticity.” Nowhere in the Bible do we see Jesus Christ using foul language, and when we convey His message and character, we must take care not to degrade it by foul talk.

Mt 5:22 -

But I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment. And whoever says to his brother, 'Raca!' shall be in danger of the council. But whoever says, 'You
fool!' shall be in danger of hell fire.

Christ said the word raca. This was punishable by the council, I would presume because society found the word offensive. He used it with no ill intent. He says also (right after He uses the words Himself) “’you fool’ shall be in danger of hell fire”. Again, the words passed His sinless lips. How does this reconcile in your minds that the word itself is bad, not the intent of the use? Christ Himself said them to make a point. How can it be the word that is bad if God Himself said them?

Upvote 0

Diane_Windsor

Senior Contributor
Jun 29, 2004
✟27,907.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
RenHoek said:
Christ said the word raca. This was punishable by the council, I would presume because society found the word offensive. He used it with no ill intent. He says also (right after He uses the words Himself) “’you fool’ shall be in danger of hell fire”. Again, the words passed His sinless lips. How does this reconcile in your minds that the word itself is bad, not the intent of the use? Christ Himself said them to make a point. How can it be the word that is bad if God Himself said them?

And what was this council? The Sanhedrin? The Pharisees? I seriously doubt that Christ would approve of one of His ambassadors using sailor's language.

DIANE
:groupray:

Upvote 0

RenHoek

What eeeeeez it man?!
Dec 22, 2005
MI
✟8,565.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
And what was this council? The Sanhedrin? The Pharisees?

My point exactly. Who is the council (authority of today) that determines what is “dirty”. It seems to me that Christ is not as concerned about the word as He is about the intent behind it.

Upvote 0

lindamarie

Aug 17, 2005
Kentucky
✟8,317.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Our of our mouths proceed who we are... I pray that I "sound" like Jesus... And that all words are "permissable", but not all are necessary...

Probably because of my "peers", I don't "cuss"... but I certainly do not have a problem with anyone who has a rich vocabulary... (which, IMNSHO, means MANY words, not the same ones over-and-over-and-over-and-over)

Upvote 0

Shizzle

Mar 19, 2005
✟8,792.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Private
We should not offend anyone, as christians.
But also as christians we shouldnt get offended by any sort or language or gesture. That would be a foolish weakness, prideful, and might appear stuckup, self-righteous or just plain stupid to others, so it again comes back to

Upvote 0

jochanaan

Aug 24, 2005
✟16,360.00
Faith
Baptist
Shizzle said:
But also as christians we shouldnt get offended by any sort or language or gesture. That would be a foolish weakness, prideful, and might appear stuckup, self-righteous or just plain stupid to others...
Besides being a waste of good energy and time. And I have seen over and over that, when people get angry (including myself), they get blind and deaf too. They only hear what they think you're saying.:sigh:

Upvote 0

RenHoek

What eeeeeez it man?!
Dec 22, 2005
MI
✟8,565.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Shizzle said:
But also as christians we shouldnt get offended by any sort or language or gesture. That would be a foolish weakness, prideful, and might appear stuckup, self-righteous or just plain stupid to others, so it again comes back to

Agreed:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lindamarie

Aug 17, 2005
Kentucky
✟8,317.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I think we go from one extreme to the other on a lot of issues, including this one...

To think that we "should not offend" is setting oneself up for failure, don't you think?

I think we need to be real... some folks will find that offensive and some folks won't. (I had a christian tell me once that I wasn't "real" b/c I don't cuss...)

"The list" of shoulds and shouldn'ts often gets in the way of God using us as He made us, don't you think? After all, Jesus taught that all the commandments are summed up by loving God with our whole selves, and our neighbors as ourselves.

God is speaking to me about getting "me" -- and what I want/how I want to live -- out of the way. I don't especially "like" it -- but He's in charge....

Upvote 0

Rathvon350

adelphoi en Christos
Jan 2, 2006
Albemarle, NC
✟7,921.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Romans 12:2- " Do not conform any longer to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be abe to test and approve what God's will is- His good, pleasing and perfect will."

Though there may be all kinds of evidence and proof for the allowance or non-allowance of curseing I think we may be ignoring some practical aspects of the issue. I think there is a large population in the world that find curseing inconguent with Christianity. We must be aware of the witness that we are providing. We may find ourselves spending alot of time explaning to a non, or new Christian why it is okay to cuss when we could be discussing much more important issues. Also we may give the perception that we are no different than anyone else when we are to be the salt of the earth, Matthew 5:13. We are called to be different, if we were not then what would our witness be?

It does seem that what words are filthy and what words are not is guided by society. Unfortunately I, as a youth pastor, am not willing to tread on that thin ice.

P.S After being in the military for a while I had become desensitized (?) to cussing because there is just so much of it. In fact, in more than one dire situation I let a few words fly of the four-letter type. However, sense getting away from that group of people I find cussing similar to the sound of fingernails on a chalk board.

Upvote 0

RenHoek

What eeeeeez it man?!
Dec 22, 2005
MI
✟8,565.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think there is a large population in the world that find curseing inconguent with Christianity.

I think there is also a large population that finds people overly pious when Christians take great offense and correct their language, or:

I think we need to be real... some folks will find that offensive and some folks won't. (I had a christian tell me once that I wasn't "real" b/c I don't cuss...)

Anyone ever watch DOG The Bounty Hunter on A&E? He is a bounty hunter in HI that has been born again. He makes a great testimony for the fugitives he busts. His language is fitting for his profession and I think it helps him relate to the people he deals with. If you never have watched, I recommend it. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

lindamarie

Aug 17, 2005
Kentucky
✟8,317.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I think "appropriate" is a very good guideline. Paul used it in 1 Corinthians 9:

19Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. 20To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. 21To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God's law but am under Christ's law), so as to win those not having the law. 22To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some. 23I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings.

I think, as a whole, the church has worried to much about "me" and too little about others. What rules must I keep? How do I look to others? What about my witness?

Jesus sends His disciples into the world, not to profit the disciples, but to profit the world... As a "non-cusser" (which is a personal and appropriate behavior for me), I probably won't have much acceptance with "cussers" if I walk into their "world" and expect them to change.

I wonder why, as christians, we can believe no two snowflakes are alike, but we want every christian to look exactly the same?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

shinbits

Dec 4, 2005
New York
✟14,001.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
RenHoek said:
If I read my bible correctly, I am forbidden to use the name of the Lord in vain. Can anyone support with scripture not swearing?

Thoughts all?
We know that "curse" words aren't just words. We know that. They wouldn't have the power and effect that they do if they were.

All the explitives are vulger, and we are to persue holiness.

Remember, the Bible says that we will be "jugded for every idle word".

Consider these Scriptures:

1. Ephesians 4:29 (Whole Chapter)
    Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.
  2. Ephesians 5:4 (Whole Chapter)
    Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving
Peace and God bless.

Upvote 0

lindamarie

Aug 17, 2005
Kentucky
✟8,317.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I think "taking the Lord's Name in vain" is much more than simply using a "word"... When we do evil and show hate "in the name of the Lord", is that not "taking the Lord's Name in vain"?

And to be perfectly honest -- words that would have shocked me 20 years ago have absolutely no effect anymore... On the other hand, I believe I have become much more sensitive to cruelty...

Am I the only one who has found this to be true?

Upvote 0

Joykins

free Crazy Liz!
Jul 14, 2005
Down in Mary's Land
✟29,390.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
An additional thought...when I was very young, my mother told me the following words were bad words and never to say them:

* stupid
* dumb
* dummy
* shut up

You could call me a number of four-letter words today and even now I will not get so angry at that as I would if someone called me stupid and to shut up. And if I really am very angry and want to express my rage at someone (which is bad, I know), I am more likely to use the words above than 4-letter words.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.