“it doesn't glorify God”

• Thread starter vanillaflower300
  • Start date
V

vanillaflower300

If a secular activity is harmless and not sinful but doesn't glorify God, is it wrong? I know we not to spend all our time doing leisure stuff but I've been sick and am able to do very little real work. So is it wrong for me to enjoy secular entertainment eg books and films? The illness have had is a nervous type one so for me the stuff I do needs to be light and uplifting.

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Doing neutral things is much more glorifying to God than doing bad (sinful) things. There's nothing wrong with watching a good clean comedy or tv show, or reading a novel (wouldn't read romance novels, though), or playing scrabble or solitaire. Life is meant to be enjoyed!

Reactions: LilLamb219
Upvote 0

forGod1

Jul 29, 2010
Saskatchewan, Canada
✟9,232.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
i am trying to talk to God more, like he's in the room(which he is). Like that person said, eating a sandwich and thanking God for health and the things you enjoy.. you know? its good. reading books that aren't Christian is kind of a waste of time and mental resources. there are so many good Christian books.

Upvote 0

dreamer30

Oct 27, 2013
✟7,773.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think anything can be turned into something that glorifies God if you put your mind to it. Right now I'm writing a story for Nanowrimo and I'm making a Christian story. Back then I used to want to contort and I would put Christian music on while I was stretching. But now I'm not into contortion anymore, since I heard that some of the poses can really knock you out. (take ur breath away.) it's not worth it. I also like Belly Dancing. I belly dance to non lyrical music. And try to look modest instead of wearing a bra I wear stuff over my stomache. Anyways, whatever you find to do, you can make it into a Christian thing and have fun with it. Good luck.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

orangeness365

Feb 4, 2013
✟6,329.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think like what has already been said, doing neutral stuff is better than doing bad stuff. And while feeding orphans is definitely good, you also have to take care of yourself first. you said your sick right? volunteering is good, but if you can't you can't. I don't even volunteer. Sometimes it's a battle to just keep clear of sin and do neutral stuff instead of bad stuff. work hard and play hard, right?

Upvote 0

HisSparkPlug

Offspring of a Genius
Jul 31, 2013
✟2,947.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
If a secular activity is harmless and not sinful but doesn't glorify God, is it wrong? I know we not to spend all our time doing leisure stuff but I've been sick and am able to do very little real work. So is it wrong for me to enjoy secular entertainment eg books and films? The illness have had is a nervous type one so for me the stuff I do needs to be light and uplifting.
I think some secular stuff is used by God.. such as music. The Lord often gives me a song with specific lyrics to answer a question I may ask Him or to encourage me somehow in my walk. You would not imagine the stuff He's spoken to me thru advertisements & secular tunes. He can use ANYTHING and He is not limited as many legalistic Christians would say He is, to "Christian" things. However, I do not indulge in secular entertainment unless it carries a 'wholesome' message. There is too much damaging junk out there. We really have to be careful. I rarely watch TV.. haven't looked at one in over 6 months now.. and I don't miss it.

Christians are being lulled into a sleep & into apostasy by entertainment.. Being entertained to death.. Everyone wants to "feel good". Well unfortunately, belonging to Jesus isn't about feeling good = It's about living to glorify God and learning to suffer with Christ which rarely 'feels' good. But worldly Christians will disagree

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,270,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
1 Corinthians 6:12 (NASB)

The Body Is the Lord’s

12 All things are lawful for me, but not all things are profitable. All things are lawful for me, but I will not be mastered by anything.

Upvote 0
A

amenkid777

as long as it doesn't lead you away from the Lord and get you distracted it's probably ok. but don't let satan use it to subtly build you up to backsliding or something like that. I find that sometimes if I want to do things like make art - that I can get out of the habit of reading the Bible or praying. so - that's not good. just make sure it doesn't get you distracted or lead you away from God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

thatforumguy77

Random Person
Nov 5, 2013
✟8,134.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I agree with a lot of what's posted here.

For me, there is no such thing as neutral. We live in a world created by God, Earth is his footstool, so in essence, we live beside Him at all times - it's just that were so small and we sometimes fail to see the big picture. That said, even drinking coffee can be godly, for it nourishes us.

Just keep the golden command in mind - do unto others what you would do unto yourself (or to God, for anyone who does to the least will also do unto Him,) and remember the fruits of the Holy Spirit. When in doubt about the morality of a thing, you can more identify them through their fruit. A good tree always bear good fruit, while a bad tree bears bad ones. By their fruit you will know them.

If still it fails to be identified, you can choose it, for it's still, most likely, within the perfect plan of God for your life.

Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear vanillaflower300. In Matthew 22: 35-40: Jesus tells a Lawyer: " The first
and great Commandment is: Love God with all thy heart, with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. The second is like it: Love thy neighbour as thyself."
Jesus also tells us: " On these two Commandments hang all the Law and the
Prophets." God wants Love from us: freely given and No conditions tagged on.
In Luke 10: 25-28: Jesus tells the Lawyer there the same, but Jesus encourages the Lawyer and says: " Do this and thou shalt LIVE." God wants our Love in all we say or do, and all we advice or stand for. God will see our sincere efforts, and God will bless us.
In Galatians 6: 7-10: we are told what NOT TO DO: God will not be mocked.
Even the world knows God`s eternal Law: " What ye sow, ye will also reap."
To follow God`s Loving advice to Love God with all our beings, and also love our neighbour as we love ourselves. For following God`s Commandments to Love and Care, we will have many blessings, and for ignoring, or even go against God`s Loving advice, we will earn fitting consequences. That is God`s way of teaching us: God will not be mocked.
As for gloryfying God, we can do this in all we say or do. Jesus will help and guide us: JESUS IS THE WAY. One very good thing to remember: " ask and ye
shall receive!" ( Matthew 7: 7-10) I say this with love, vanillaflower.
Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ.

Upvote 0

David Sylvian

From Japan With Love
Oct 12, 2013
✟15,463.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

How do you know it does not glorify God.

I thought all things glorified God.

Also, why are people trying to ascertain "entertainment" by appearances? Is there no inner meaning there imparted to people? Just because it is not flag waving obvious but metaphoric?

Upvote 0