“Herd Immunity.” The flawed science and failures of mass vaccination.

When it comes to vaccines I am....

• ...pro-vaccine.

• ...anti-vaccine.

• ..unsure of what I feel.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Senator Cheese

Master of Cheese
Feb 4, 2014
✟16,414.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I did not see anyone suggest the right to spread disease. Oh I get it, if you choose not to get vaccinations you are automatically spreading diseases. Good one but a little short in the facts department. Not getting vaccinated does not mean you have a disease, oh is that the misconception here. Hey I see well.it works like this if you don't have the disease you cannot spread it to others, and if you do have the disease and the well behaved sheeple around you are vaccinated then you cannot dpread it to them. Any questions? This is actually funny what if I were an anti vaxer not just supportive of them, I feel way worse for them now than I did prior to this because I see the level of hate they are dealing with.

Claim #1: Not getting vaccinated does not mean you have a disease.
Fact-Check: True
Absolutely correct. Not getting vaccinated does not mean you have a disease, but it means you are susceptible to it.

Claim #2: If you do not have the disease you cannot spread it around.
Fact-Check: False
You can be carrier of a contagion without developing symptoms.
You can also be contagious before developing symptoms.

Claim #3: The "well behaved sheep" can't get the disease then.
Fact-Check: False
For one, the "well behaved sheep" can't all get vaccinated. I have friends who are immunosurpressed due to chronic arthritis or lupus. Another one has leukemia in remission. All of them CAN'T get vaccinated. They'd like to, seeing as how even "minor" childhood diseases can kill them, but they are dependent on herd immunity for protection. To them, getting sick is not just being in bed for a few days with a fever, but it is a battle of life and death.

Not only those, but let's not forget that vaccines do not initiate a proper immune response in all cases, but sometimes only work in 60-80% of all patients - that means, all non-responders (the remaining 20%) are also dependent on herd immunity.

Vaccinations aren't a question of freedoms.
Vaccinations are a question of whether or not your personal convenience justifies the death of those who have hit rock bottom when it comes to their immune system.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟492,544.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Ah, that's so saddening. Polio damaged a lot of lives. What a massive and incredible innovation is the polio vaccination.

I especially love the small toy dog tucked behind the belt that fixates the childs neck.

It's the little things...

Upvote 0

Senator Cheese

Master of Cheese
Feb 4, 2014
✟16,414.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
No on the chickenpox and this is what they call evidence based practice, or did until the advent of the varricella vaccine. In regards to the other diseases one is better off not catching them. Chicken pox does kill I guess you could say, I'm not positive but I'd venture to say that it as a result of secondary infection, not positive but even this is in a very small minority, and it occurs mainly in adults because they were not exposed as children. I had a particularly bad episode of chicken pox at age 5, I still have scars from it and I missed about 4 weeks of school, our dic said it was worst he ever saw and I was never in danger of dying.

Claim #1: Chickenpox kids aren't isolated because evidence-based medicine
Fact-Check: True.
True, kids aren't isolated if they have chicken pox. The reason is not "evidence based" in the sense that implies that this is better for the patient or for the environment, but it is simply not feasable to quarantine any child with chicken pox because the incubation time is 14-16 days during which the child exhibits no symptoms and already is contagious!

Claim #2: Chickenpox lethality is due to secondary bacterial infection
Fact-Check: False.
The varicella zoster virus (VZV) causes encephalitis and pneumonia directly due to cytopathic effects. As such, lethality is not due to secondary bacterial infection but due to viral replication and immune response - I fail to see how this would be relevant though.

Claim #3: It is a small minority and mainly in adults
Fact-Check: Inaccurate.
Neonatal VZV-infections have a lethality of 30-35% - that is no "small" minority, but a relatively good proportion of newborn children. While it is true that lethal cases are relatively rare in childhood, the adult form is very dangerous.

Upvote 0

mafwons

Hi guys
Feb 16, 2014
✟11,177.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Claim #1: Chickenpox kids aren't isolated because evidence-based medicine
Fact-Check: True.
True, kids aren't isolated if they have chicken pox. The reason is not "evidence based" in the sense that implies that this is better for the patient or for the environment, but it is simply not feasable to quarantine any child with chicken pox because the incubation time is 14-16 days during which the child exhibits no symptoms and already is contagious!

Claim #2: Chickenpox lethality is due to secondary bacterial infection
Fact-Check: False.
The varicella zoster virus (VZV) causes encephalitis and pneumonia directly due to cytopathic effects. As such, lethality is not due to secondary bacterial infection but due to viral replication and immune response - I fail to see how this would be relevant though.

Claim #3: It is a small minority and mainly in adults
Fact-Check: Inaccurate.
Neonatal VZV-infections have a lethality of 30-35% - that is no "small" minority, but a relatively good proportion of newborn children. While it is true that lethal cases are relatively rare in childhood, the adult form is very dangerous.

In regards to claim #2-False, per the CDC website "Secondary infection with invasive group A streptococci may cause serious illness or death. Encephalitis is an infrequent complication of varicella (estimated 1.8 per 10, 000 cases) and may lead to seizures or coma.

Claim #3-Misleading: Neonatal VZV infections are exceedingly rare but often fatal, the most fatalities occur in those over age 30.

Upvote 0

Senator Cheese

Master of Cheese
Feb 4, 2014
✟16,414.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
In regards to claim #2-False, per the CDC website "Secondary infection with invasive group A streptococci may cause serious illness or death. Encephalitis is an infrequent complication of varicella (estimated 1.8 per 10, 000 cases) and may lead to seizures or coma.

Yeah, sorry, I might not have been clear in what I was saying: lethal secondary infaction can occur, however the virus is also directly lethal without necessary secondary infections. (Unlike, for example, the HI virus where cause of death is always secondary).

Claim #3-Misleading: Neonatal VZV infections are exceedingly rare but often fatal, the most fatalities occur in those over age 30.

As with this, you fail to adress the most crucial argument of my post:

It cannot be justified that the convenience of the healthy will lead to death in the diseased (i.e. immunodeficient, pregnant, etc).

It doesn't matter how many cases there are (especially seeing as how there are -many- different disease-causing pathogens beside VZV). The fact is that the refusal to vaccinate will (statistically) result in the death of innocents.

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I have to admit, it is kind of nice to see everyone on a CF thread, regardless of religion, belief, or denomination, all show their basic decency by uniting against someone suggesting something awful.

I've only seen that happen once before, against that racist Japanese guy who suggested that all Africans should starve and succumb to diseases in the physical and life sciences forum.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟492,544.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
aM1WRQV_460s.jpg

Upvote 0

OGM

Mar 22, 2010
✟11,065.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
mafwons said:
No on the chickenpox and this is what they call evidence based practice, or did until the advent of the varricella vaccine. In regards to the other diseases one is better off not catching them. Chicken pox does kill I guess you could say, I'm not positive but I'd venture to say that it as a result of secondary infection, not positive but even this is in a very small minority, and it occurs mainly in adults because they were not exposed as children. I had a particularly bad episode of chicken pox at age 5, I still have scars from it and I missed about 4 weeks of school, our dic said it was worst he ever saw and I was never in danger of dying.
The point I was getting at is why not just give the child the vaccine? That way they can perhaps get immunity without the risk that the chickenpox party can cause.

Upvote 0

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I have to admit, it is kind of nice to see everyone on a CF thread, regardless of religion, belief, or denomination, all show their basic decency by uniting against someone suggesting something awful.

Funny, I was just thinking the same thing as I was catching up on this thread. Kudos to everyone here for at least exhibiting a modicum of human decency, except this mafwons guy. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
The point I was getting at is why not just give the child the vaccine? That way they can perhaps get immunity without the risk that the chickenpox party can cause.

Because apparently, being a responsible adult and parent is somehow soul and freedom-crushing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
The problem has gotten worse in the U.S. since the "autism-vaccine" scare of the recent past. Pockets of whooping cough has even killed a few kids. So unnecessary in this era of history.[ft/QUOTE]

13 in 2012 and yes it is a tragedy, and I risk sounding callous saying this but there is no evidence that better vaccination penetration would have helped (its currentlu estimated to be at 78%). This article has some interesting information.

Whooping Cough Outbreak: CDC Answers Your Questions | The Rundown | PBS NewsHour

Prior to vaccinations, the death rate in infants due to pertussis was quite high. Do you think it is just a coincidence that the massive reduction in deaths due to pertussis coincides with vaccination programs?

pertussis-historical.jpg

Pertussis is still a problem in areas that do not vaccinate. It still kills nearly 300,000 people a year.

Pertussis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And that is just one of the diseases that modern vaccinations cover.

Upvote 0

Skaloop

Agnostic atheist, pro-choice anti-abortion
May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
Prior to vaccinations, the death rate in infants due to pertussis was quite high. Do you think it is just a coincidence that the massive reduction in deaths due to pertussis coincides with vaccination programs?

pertussis-historical.jpg

Pertussis is still a problem in areas that do not vaccinate. It still kills nearly 300,000 people a year.

Pertussis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And that is just one of the diseases that modern vaccinations cover.

Any idea what caused that bump in '04?

Upvote 0