“Church Preaching : Sunday has replaced Saturday as Holy Day(Shabbat).”---I am Angry!

Yusuphhai

Messianic Arabic-Semitic Chinese
Oct 19, 2005
Beijing China
✟170,127.00
Country
China
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Today in a get-together I sing a song named Od Yishama in Hebrew in the present of the officials of the area I live in .Is it suitable? I just told them this was a kind of Semitic culture.

Few understand Semitism but the Assimilation to me is blocked . I am a Gentile without circumcision, but have a Israeli heart as somebody said it.

Upvote 0

Yareach

Oct 25, 2006
✟7,678.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Jesus and the disciple kept the Sabbath. Also, Jesus and the disciples gave no command to have a Sunday Sabbath, but all of them preached the keeping of Gods commandments. The Sunday Sabbath was introduced by the Catholic Church because the Pagans demanded it. And that is according to history, and is a matter of fact. So tell your leaders that and see what they say.

If you take this approach I think it won't sit well with the listener because the history lesson obscures a lot of the salient details and won't address the core issues why various Churches dismiss Sabbath observance on different points. To be fair to both sides (which is important for edifying dialogue), the issue goes substantially deeper than you presented.

In Christian theology there are a number of ways, historically, that theologians have wrestled with scriptures relating to the first advent of Messiah. The approaches have ranged from blatant anominianism to strong continuity--and everything in between. How Christians view the Sabbath is more of a symptom of the broader system of interpretation they subscribe to. We can see this through some of the modern schools and their systems. e.g.

Covenant Theology: General continuity with the Hebrew Bible. The commandments apply lest where augmented or abolished in their understanding.

Dispensational Theology: General discontinuity in the New Covenant. Typically only those commandments repeated are still binding to believers.

You then have subsets, like Theonomy, which take the general view of Covenant Theology but unlike such they see the persistant relevance of the Civil Commandments as well as the Moral Commandments. All three systems, to a degree, tend to harken back to the system Thomas Aquinas suggested that divided commandments into, "Civil, Moral, and Ceremonial" categories.

So now to the Sabbath. Covenant Theologians and those adhering to Theonomy will tend to focus on the "Moral" elements of the Sabbath commandment and separate it from the Ceremonial elements; i.e. transferance of the moral principle (see: O. Palmer Robertson's "Christ of the Covenants" for an example of a Covenant Theologian who argues strongly in favor of the Sabbath, but ends his arguement with a transferance twist). Dispensationalists tend to look at the Sabbath as a unique feature of the Mosaic Covenant that was a shadow of things to come and no longer binding under the "Law of Christ".

I am not doing justice to the depth (or variety) of positions, but in general the various methods of looking at the issue are derived through their general approach to the Torah and Mosaic Covenant and the "essense of the New Covenant". While I don't agree with these approaches--e.g. the tripartate division forwarded by Thomas Aquinas falls flat when examined--I think it is important to give our Christian siblings a fair hearing on the issue to (a) better understand their approach and (b) to give profitable feedback that talks "with them" instead of "past them".

And while the RCC did affirm the transferance of the Sabbath to Sunday the practice of observing Sunday as either a quasi-Sabbath or as a "new" sort of day is documented before Nicea. Sunday observance can be documented as early as the early 2nd century A.D. and can be implied into the end of the 1st century. The works of Samuele Bacchiocchi and the volume edited by D.A. Carson are a good starting place on opposing views on this issue. In general you have Christians who either see the aboloshment of the Sabbath, transferance, or continuity (from most common to least common position).

As Messianics, of course, we typically emphasize the importance of the Torah, its place in the New Covenant, and thus the continuity of the observance. Similarly we derive this same position through a reading of Apostolic texts that indicate the core issues with the Sabbath weren't its relevance but its proper celebration and practice.

I have found it practical, and profitable, to first understand and outline the general approach people are bringing to scripture -- giving them an honest hearing and accepting they are trying their best, just as I am, to honestly engage the Word of God -- and then approach the issue at hand from there. I think people typically run into road blocks with the Sabbath-dialogue because they fail to recognize that there are much broader & deeper issues that complicate the discussion. e.g. Demonstrating to a Dispensationalism that Yeshua and his Apostles observed the Sabbath won't accomplish much because their view of the Bible and Covenants is well attuned to such a conclusion. The issue for them would be is the Sabbath bnding on them. In which case the question is one of the character of the New Covenant and the methodologies of Dispensationalism.

Harping on the Sabbath, and transference by the RCC (which isn't really true in fact, only in solidifying early RCC orthodoxy and to end certain debates within the "orthodox" way), doesn't address their core arguement. Which would be, in their case, the non-binding nature of the Sabbath.

Now turning back to the original post, the arguement seems to be aimed at transference, so the angle of discussion would be quite different.

Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Messianic Jewish Christian
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In general you have Christians who either see the aboloshment of the Sabbath, transferance, or continuity (from most common to least common position).

Unless you think modern Protestantism is the most popular form of Christianity I'd say "vice versa" to your parenthesis. But thanks for the summary of things as you see it. It was a good effort and a welcome post.

Close to over 1 Billion Christians belong to churches that are Apostolic in origin and therefore believe in the continuity of the holiness of the Sabbath but allow Sunday worship also. Most of those churches celebrate the liturgy every day of the year. When modern day Protestants can keep up with that kind of activity and record I'll be impressed. :)

Reactions: Ivy
Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Catholic Church no longer swears by truth of the Bible
By Ruth Gledhill, Religion Correspondent

Unless she's Pope Ruth Gledhill, she's just a journalist with a dodgy opinion. :)

Let's see if her headline matches her content.....

THE hierarchy of the Roman Catholic Church has published a teaching document instructing the faithful that some parts of the Bible are not actually true. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,13509-1811332,00.html

I have it, the journalist is reading it wrong. As usual. As expected.

"Did God intend that the Bible alone should be the guide to salvation? No, because certain things in the Bible can be misunderstood, and because the Bible does not have everything God taught" - Catechism, p. 51.

If this forum alone doesn't vindicate that statement, nothing could. The Bible can be misunderstood. The Bible doesn't teach everything about God. This is true. Good and true statement from the document. :thumbsup:

Originally, before the advent of Protestant fundamentalism, the historic Protestant position about the Bible was that it contained all things necessary to salvation- not all things about God per se. This allowed a realistic approach to the Bible and the history of the ekklesia.

"Do we get from the Bible alone all our knowledge and certainty about what God has told us? No, there is also Sacred Tradition … What is tradition? The Word of God handed on to us by the Apostles in their preaching and by their successors in the church to the present day … Do you have to believe in tradition? Yes … we are obliged to accept all the truths contained in the Bible and Tradition…" - Catechism, pp. 9,10.

The RCC is a lot like the Orthodox Jews, eh? Continuity perhaps?

Also, it sounds like they believe in accepting all the truths contained in the Bible. I like that.

The rest just logically follows the RC prolegomena. The journalist is spinning. The only point in the document that sounds like a denial of truth (when taken out of context, of course) is “We should not expect to find in Scripture full scientific accuracy or complete historical precision,” which is a standard modernist position found in most Christian churches- even in modern fundie churces, who deny the Bible by their actions and interpret passages in such a manner as to empty the scriptures of their meaning- this is the same thing in the end. What's interesting is that when one asks a RC cleric "which bits of the Bible are inaccurate?", he probably couldn't think of one apart from the usual Tanach difficulties in timing and numbers. It's part of the lingua franca of the modern era to allow disputes over the accuracy of historical and scientific things in scripture. Things necessary to salvation are never open to question by decent churches. I think the journalist misses that point, because she's clearly just a journalist and appears to have read her bias into the article.

Reactions: Ivy
Upvote 0

Yareach

Oct 25, 2006
✟7,678.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Unless you think modern Protestantism is the most popular form of Christianity I'd say "vice versa" to your parenthesis. But thanks for the summary of things as you see it. It was a good effort and a welcome post.

That is a different can of worms--one I don't wish to open ;) Depending on context who is/isn't orthodox or a Christian can be applied pretty liberally.

But you are correct, my assessment is mainly in the arena that the majority of Messianic Judaism is engaged in at the moment (which I would probably, with hesitation, label as "Evangelical" in nature for a large segment of the diverse demographic). I tried to emphasize this with, "modern schools and their systems" and to point out historically there have been many approaches to these issues. If we are including various Catholics the order probably flips but we can probably agree the point remains. :)

Close to over 1 Billion Christians belong to churches that are Apostolic in origin and therefore believe in the continuity of the holiness of the Sabbath but allow Sunday worship also.

By continuity do you mean "observance" as in rest from labor on the 7th day?

Per worship, I would am not sure the Bible (or major faith movement!) restricts which days this is permissible ;)

Most of those churches celebrate the liturgy every day of the year. When modern day Protestants can keep up with that kind of activity and record I'll be impressed. :)

I guess I am not following the discussion? Judaism has a long history of litergy and prayers, but it isn't really a competition ;)

In regards to the topic, I guess my focus was on, "Sunday has replaced Saturday as the Holy Day (Shabbat".

There are various approaches to this topic, and motives to how/why it is justified. I think the post I replied to focused on a few common, but fallacious, points that don't progress the discussion. e.g. The RCC didn't originate this transferance (they only affirmed a previous practice as being orthodox).

But you got me curious: Do Anglicans view, "believe in the continuity of the holiness of the Sabbath"? If so, how do you define continuity and holiness?

More importantly, what points of discontinuity are there in your practices and what is the basis for these?

Upvote 0

GuardianShua

Feb 2, 2004
✟10,653.00
Faith
If you take this approach I think it won't sit well with the listener because the history lesson obscures a lot of the salient details and won't address the core issues why various Churches dismiss Sabbath observance on different points. To be fair to both sides (which is important for edifying dialogue), the issue goes substantially deeper than you presented.

In Christian theology there are a number of ways, historically, that theologians have wrestled with scriptures relating to the first advent of Messiah. The approaches have ranged from blatant anominianism to strong continuity--and everything in between. How Christians view the Sabbath is more of a symptom of the broader system of interpretation they subscribe to. We can see this through some of the modern schools and their systems. e.g.

Covenant Theology: General continuity with the Hebrew Bible. The commandments apply lest where augmented or abolished in their understanding.

Dispensational Theology: General discontinuity in the New Covenant. Typically only those commandments repeated are still binding to believers.

You then have subsets, like Theonomy, which take the general view of Covenant Theology but unlike such they see the persistant relevance of the Civil Commandments as well as the Moral Commandments. All three systems, to a degree, tend to harken back to the system Thomas Aquinas suggested that divided commandments into, "Civil, Moral, and Ceremonial" categories.

Now turning back to the original post, the arguement seems to be aimed at transference, so the angle of discussion would be quite different.
It is a known fact that before Jesus even died on the cross, that there were Pagans, Gnostics and Secret Societies working to pervert the words of truth; placing Christianity in a state of babel. With that in mind any person who is truly honest and wants to follow Christ will keep his Father's commandments. It is not any commandment or alteration of scripture by man that is Orthodox, but the Orthodox are also Unorthodox causing more babel. Any Christian who wants to come out of babel needs to keep these things in mind; who are the Pagans, Gnostics and Secret Societies, and what do they promote in Christianity? Jesus said, If you love me, keep my Father's commandments.

Upvote 0

TexasBluebonnet

This world has nothing for me...
Feb 27, 2007
Cedar Hill, TX :)!!
✟25,629.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
It is a known fact that before Jesus even died on the cross, that there were Pagans, Gnostics and Secret Societies working to pervert the words of truth; placing Christianity in a state of babel. With that in mind any person who is truly honest and wants to follow Christ will keep his Father's commandments. It is not any commandment or alteration of scripture by man that is Orthodox, but the Orthodox are also Unorthodox causing more babel. Any Christian who wants to come out of babel needs to keep these things in mind; who are the Pagans, Gnostics and Secret Societies, and what do they promote in Christianity? Jesus said, If you love me, keep my Father's commandments.

Your post is very thought provoking. And you pose an excellent question to anyone who is a sincere seeker.

Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That is a different can of worms--one I don't wish to open ;) Depending on context who is/isn't orthodox or a Christian can be applied pretty liberally.

Yes, or pretty strictly!

But you are correct, my assessment is mainly in the arena that the majority of Messianic Judaism is engaged in at the moment (which I would probably, with hesitation, label as "Evangelical" in nature for a large segment of the diverse demographic). I tried to emphasize this with, "modern schools and their systems" and to point out historically there have been many approaches to these issues. If we are including various Catholics the order probably flips but we can probably agree the point remains.

First of all, welcome to this forum. There's more versions of what constitues "Messianic" here than there are versions of "My Sharona" by cover bands.

By continuity do you mean "observance" as in rest from labor on the 7th day?

I think it's applied differently by different Gentiles groups. I'm sure you'd agree that the belief in the holiness and continuity of the Sabbath is translated into different practices and doctrines across the Gentile world.

Per worship, I would am not sure the Bible (or major faith movement!) restricts which days this is permissible ;)

Amen.

I guess I am not following the discussion? Judaism has a long history of litergy and prayers, but it isn't really a competition ;)

OK...let me clarify. You are correct in saying that Judaism has a long history of being liturgical and having daily public religious liturgies and prayers. The Apostolic churches do the same. OTOH, the modern day Protestants only open their churches on Sundays, for a few hours, and then close up for the rest of the week for golf and the pursuit of happiness. Occasionally they open for other reasons mid week, but not much. I like the Judeo-Apostolic Christian version of religious life more, personally speaking. :) This is why I said if the modern day Protestants ever catch up to the rest of us, I'll be impressed!

But you got me curious: Do Anglicans view, "believe in the continuity of the holiness of the Sabbath"? If so, how do you define continuity and holiness?

Anglicanism doesn't define this topic, but almost every cleric I know (and I'm one of them) believes that Sabbath keeping is still binding on Israel, but not on Gentiles, who are morally obligated to keep all days holy to God and should dedicate at a bare minimum one full day of rest in holiness unto God. The Sabbath, we would say, is a sign for the world eternally, but Sabbath keeping was given as a sign for Israel alone to remind the world of God's creation as a witness to it. The moral implications of Sabbath keeping are binding on Gentiles too but they must witness to that differently, and have liberty in doing so. That's the general gist of what most (or many) Anglicans would say. The problem Anglicans have is that we have no distinctive doctrines and sometimes people expect us to have them in order to work us out and pigeonhole us! :)

More importantly, what points of discontinuity are there in your practices and what is the basis for these?

It's difficult to answer that, as our parishes have services at least twice daily 365 days a year, and that includes Sabbaths. On a personal level, I've been a Sabbath keeper my whole life and I've never stopped (even though I was told I should cease Jewish practices by pentecostals once when I was a newbie Christian- but a Catholic priest set me straight on that and I continued in my personal customs with a clear conscience).

Upvote 0

Yareach

Oct 25, 2006
✟7,678.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Yes, or pretty strictly!

Yes, and as to what you allude to above, people tend to like to "label". This has a number of purposes, but one [unfortunate] one is it expedites discussion toward familiar [and tired!] territory. Obviously this can server a positive puprose--if a 5 point and 4 point Calvinist are dialogueing it can allow up front parameters to focus discussion--but to often labels allow sides to errect straw men that often talk past issues and people instead of with.

The focus on charitable discussion is important, even with those you know you will disagree. Giving each person a fair hearing, as well as recognizing why dialogue is strained, is important. e.g. For us a dialogue on the Sabbath would likely need to address our different positions on the Bible&Tradition, the traditions of the Church, the role of the Hebrew Bible, and the nature of the New Covenant. And while a label may help me identify what direction you are coming from, I still need to give you a fair hearing on your own terms (unless of course you state something like, "I am a 5 point Calvinist and agree with Michael Horton's presentation").

I do think this is important. Most of my wife's extended family is Roman Catholic, but I cannot assume they take a Catholic position as almost all of them diverge at some point or another (or almost always!)

I may not agree with you, but I can at least give you a fair hearing and interact with your specific points and dialogue about our specific differences instead of the pre-canned lobbying of points of conflict back and forth. In the medical field we attempt to treat the cause (not just symptoms); theologically we tend to do the reverse in focusing on symptoms (e.g. the Sabbath debate) instead of the cause (e.g. approach to scripture and history/tradition). Now the former plays a very important role as anomalies indicate either a lack in understand our system or a failure in our system of understanding, but in our current context of the Sabbath it would do me little good to "proof text" the Sabbath to a dispensational Christian who could agree outright in almost every case with little comment but would still not view it as relevant because they view themselves as part of a parenthesis (the Church Age) where the rules are different. We would make no headway, outside of posing a couple potential anomalies, debating the Sabbath without first addressing the broader issue.

So labels are helpful--as long as we are using them to further profitable discussion as well as knowing when we are at a dead end.

Of course, as above, we don't always ascribe the same meaning to words, so it is very important to set our parameters early.

First of all, welcome to this forum. There's more versions of what constitues "Messianic" here than there are versions of "My Sharona" by cover bands.

Thanks for the welcome mat :)

Yes, this is true of the general movement. Statistically a majority is evangelical. I was actually quite surprised to hear that a vast segment is charismatic even.

I am not sure we can get a consensus of self-labeled Messianics as the core tennants of MJudaism.

I think it's applied differently by different Gentiles groups. I'm sure you'd agree that the belief in the holiness and continuity of the Sabbath is translated into different practices and doctrines across the Gentile world.

Yes, which makes it a difficult issue to discuss without having a proper context or view you are addressing.

OK...let me clarify. You are correct in saying that Judaism has a long history of being liturgical and having daily public religious liturgies and prayers. The Apostolic churches do the same. OTOH, the modern day Protestants only open their churches on Sundays, for a few hours, and then close up for the rest of the week for golf and the pursuit of happiness. Occasionally they open for other reasons mid week, but not much. I like the Judeo-Apostolic Christian version of religious life more, personally speaking. :) This is why I said if the modern day Protestants ever catch up to the rest of us, I'll be impressed!

I cannot speak of non-Americans, but I think I am safe to say this is a problem with American faith in general (including the Orthodox variants). I live in an area of ~70% Catholics and the remainder being Protestants. The majority of Catholics are "Easter Catholics" and a very small minority, mainly the older generation, being "daily Catholics".

I would agree that a typical Protestant Church goes underutilized, especially when you consider the amount of wealth dumped into a shell of a building. A shift in attitude toward study, praise, and table fellowship as communities--be it in a centralized building or within our homes--is an important issue we need to address. There are certainly notes Protestants could be taking in regards to the lessons learned by Judaism&Apostolics in this regards.

But it is a troubling issue for all, as statistics indicate (at least in America). As your "Amen" indicates we need to address the issue of lifestyle: holy living devoted to worshipping our God daily, moment by moment, not just on a single day or couple hours every day.

Anglicanism doesn't define this topic

Would they default to any of the specific creeds as binding on their interpretation/practice?

but almost every cleric I know (and I'm one of them) believes that Sabbath keeping is still binding on Israel, but not on Gentiles, who are morally obligated to keep all days holy to God and should dedicate at a bare minimum one full day of rest in holiness unto God. The Sabbath, we would say, is a sign for the world eternally, but Sabbath keeping was given as a sign for Israel alone to remind the world of God's creation as a witness to it. The moral implications of Sabbath keeping are binding on Gentiles too but they must witness to that differently, and have liberty in doing so.

Thank you for depositing your position. I can see that it is thought out and I wish I had the time to engage it fully as it appears nuanced. Abviously the issue of the Church/Israel is quite large as is principlism/literalism. Good topics to discuss over tea.

Maybe a quicker topic: May I ask why Gentiles, "must witness to that differently"?

That's the general gist of what most (or many) Anglicans would say. The problem Anglicans have is that we have no distinctive doctrines and sometimes people expect us to have them in order to work us out and pigeonhole us! :)

The other day you made a comment about Messianics being an example of the need of tradition; I would deposit that in the above circumstance we aren't so different ;)

I know the congregations I have been a member of it has been high on teaching/dialogue and low on formulating distinctive doctrine. I think Biblicaly there is a strong case ministry and fellowship based on the reading and discussion of scripture, and the subsequent living thereof, above binding people to cemented positions and dividing over them. Of course there are core issues that can divide (an Antiochian approach to Biblical exegesis won't tolerate Alexandrian approach long, nor could a Samaritan and Pharisee agree long based on their different scriptures and core traditions) but I think many of us would agree that continued dialogue and growth is vital to a Spirit lead community.

On a personal level, I've been a Sabbath keeper my whole life and I've never stopped (even though I was told I should cease Jewish practices by pentecostals once when I was a newbie Christian- but a Catholic priest set me straight on that and I continued in my personal customs with a clear conscience).

Interesting how Christians from all walks view such, on the surface, simple topic. Some would say you are sinning for keeping the Sabbath--others sinning by not observing such.

My approach, in brief, is surprisingly Reformed (in some ways) in the sense that I see a distinction between Justification and Sanctification. The Torah is not a vehicle of justification or salvation as that wasn't the purpose of the Torah. I view much of Paul's lamenting directed at the generalized doctrine of merits and ethnocentric boundaries. I see the New Covenant's major distinctions as rectifying the core issue of the covenant (the failure of the vassle) and the result is a spirit filled community who observes the Torah. I see a strong continuity of faith throughout the Bible as well as a model of relationship (e.g. in Exodus you have YHWH revealing himself to a people and the salvation he offered was trusting in the blood of flock animals, those who believed in the salvation of YHWH were delivered from bondage and passed through the waters of the Red Sea to be the people of God, at which point the people were instructed into a life of holy living and pleasing communion with God; this closely parallels accepting God and his promised salvation, Yeshua, our deliverance and cleansing and instruction, through the word and Spirit, into a life of holy living unto the God of Israel). I see covenant, with the notable strands of promise (epangela) and revelation of YHWH, as central themes giving strong cohesion to the Bible with the New Covenant ultimately ushering in "Paradise Regained". I see early Christianity more within the bounds of Second Temple Judaisms, even identified among the Jews of the time and much of the strife typical between factions of Judaism of the period. I also see the growth of factionalism recorded in the New Testament, warnings and chastizement, and the events of 70 AD and 134 AD being watershed events that altered the course of history and traditions as well as the composition of the body of Messiah. Issues, like Passover, being full of strife (resulting even in excommunication) in the 2nd century as well as a triad of resentment and hostility between Jews, Christian Gentiles, and Christian Jews (who were really caught in the middle). Of course I have just glossed over a ton of issues and topics with short snippets, so there isn't much to respond to specifically. But it gives you a general view of where I am coming from.

Obviously, for us, our approach to the authority of tradition would be a topic that filters our view of some issues. Another, one founded on grounds we could all discuss with equal footing in regards to weight of sources, would be the nature of the New Covenant. Both of these topics would shed light on how we frame the Sabbath.

And now I said a lot without saying much. I guess my general point is that if there are 10 Christians discussing the Sabbath the same points and texts may not have the same relevance based on other factors. It is akin to discussing the application of womanly unclean laws to a man; it may not be an issue of the continuation of the commandment but the relevance to certain demographics. And so forth.

In this view discussion forums can be very difficult to communicate in as you have an array of people from various perspectives commenting on a single topic. Even among 7th day Sabbath observers I have noticed you have to be careful not to make assumptions because members of groups like SDA, WWCOG, Messianics of various flavors, Orthodox Jews, and so forth that there can be a lot of variety in methodology, application, and relevance in regards to the Sabbath and perephrial issues related to it.

Reactions: Yusuphhai
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WailingWall

Dec 5, 2007
earth
✟26,195.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi
Are we sure that the sunday day of rest, eat pig if you want, and the ishtar bunny was not part of Gods plan to bring back the remnant of the lost sheep of the scattered 10 tribes? Jesus said thats what He came for. Do you think Christianity would be the huge world wide religion it is today if at the start you did not have those roaring lions and ravenous wolves changing things all around so as to have Christianity look like a whole new religion and not like an extention of the Jewish religion. What course would Christianity have taken if the Jews were not blinded to fact that Jesus was their Messiah. Till the times of the gentiles are fulfilled. Im done, my fingers gettin tired.

Reactions: visionary
Upvote 0

christinepro

Jun 4, 2005
✟1,237.00
Faith
Messianic
Hi
Are we sure that the sunday day of rest, eat pig if you want, and the ishtar bunny was not part of Gods plan to bring back the remnant of the lost sheep of the scattered 10 tribes? Jesus said thats what He came for. Do you think Christianity would be the huge world wide religion it is today if at the start you did not have those roaring lions and ravenous wolves changing things all around so as to have Christianity look like a whole new religion and not like an extention of the Jewish religion. What course would Christianity have taken if the Jews were not blinded to fact that Jesus was their Messiah. Till the times of the gentiles are fulfilled. Im done, my fingers gettin tired.
I agree that there was a purpose in all of this too.

Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes, this is true of the general movement. Statistically a majority is evangelical. I was actually quite surprised to hear that a vast segment is charismatic even.

I am not sure we can get a consensus of self-labeled Messianics as the core tennants of MJudaism.

There's quite a number of people on this forum that would be "One Law for all, and it's Mosaic" in their position. I'd say this forum has attracted those of that conviction at a ratio that is higher than that in the public. :) It makes conversation quite confusing at times.

Would (Anglicans) they default to any of the specific creeds as binding on their interpretation/practice?

Tha Anglican basis of agreed belief is generally contained to the Prayer Book. The the Three ecumenical Creeds are there but theology is generally done upon the "lex orandi lex credendi". Of course, there's myraids of opinions on things not found in the Prayer Book and even a few different prayer books, but things like replacement theology is left to private opinion with the notable exception that the prayers in the BCP mention only one church, which includes the faithful of Israel.

Maybe a quicker topic: May I ask why Gentiles, "must witness to that differently"?

At the risk of driving the other posters nuts, this article, outlines a position I mainly agree with that question and probably answers it better. :)

My approach, in brief, is surprisingly Reformed (in some ways) in the sense that I see a distinction between Justification and Sanctification. The Torah is not a vehicle of justification or salvation as that wasn't the purpose of the Torah. I view much of Paul's lamenting directed at the generalized doctrine of merits and ethnocentric boundaries. I see the New Covenant's major distinctions as rectifying the core issue of the covenant (the failure of the vassle) and the result is a spirit filled community who observes the Torah. I see a strong continuity of faith throughout the Bible as well as a model of relationship (e.g. in Exodus you have YHWH revealing himself to a people and the salvation he offered was trusting in the blood of flock animals, those who believed in the salvation of YHWH were delivered from bondage and passed through the waters of the Red Sea to be the people of God, at which point the people were instructed into a life of holy living and pleasing communion with God; this closely parallels accepting God and his promised salvation, Yeshua, our deliverance and cleansing and instruction, through the word and Spirit, into a life of holy living unto the God of Israel). I see covenant, with the notable strands of promise (epangela) and revelation of YHWH, as central themes giving strong cohesion to the Bible with the New Covenant ultimately ushering in "Paradise Regained". I see early Christianity more within the bounds of Second Temple Judaisms, even identified among the Jews of the time and much of the strife typical between factions of Judaism of the period. I also see the growth of factionalism recorded in the New Testament, warnings and chastizement, and the events of 70 AD and 134 AD being watershed events that altered the course of history and traditions as well as the composition of the body of Messiah. Issues, like Passover, being full of strife (resulting even in excommunication) in the 2nd century as well as a triad of resentment and hostility between Jews, Christian Gentiles, and Christian Jews (who were really caught in the middle). Of course I have just glossed over a ton of issues and topics with short snippets, so there isn't much to respond to specifically. But it gives you a general view of where I am coming from.

Thanks for all that- I appreciate your input and look forward to seeing you around.

Thumbs up for the whole post!:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Wags

Senior Veteran
Dec 14, 2004
Oregon
✟12,463.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
At the risk of driving the other posters nuts, this article, outlines a position I mainly agree with that question and probably answers it better. :)

Aren't you glad you've managed to drive so many of the "nuts" away that say there is only one law for all who call upon the name of the God of Israel.

Upvote 0