✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Catholic League

It is not uncommon for theaters to host dark comedies or tear-jerkers during the most fun time of the year, namely Christmastime. Psycho-type films have also been released in December. But when it comes to blood and gore flicks, they never open on Christmas Day. Unless, of course, the men behind the movie are Harvey and Bob Weinstein . . . "

“Even in Hollywood, a town where bashing Christians is sport—and Catholics are the target of choice—the Weinsteins stand out. In 1995, they treated us to . . .

http://catholicleague.org/06press_releases/quarter 4/061220_black_christmas.htm

dcyates

May 28, 2005
Calgary, AB.
✟2,162.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Catholic League

It is not uncommon for theaters to host dark comedies or tear-jerkers during the most fun time of the year, namely Christmastime. Psycho-type films have also been released in December. But when it comes to blood and gore flicks, they never open on Christmas Day. Unless, of course, the men behind the movie are Harvey and Bob Weinstein . . . "

“Even in Hollywood, a town where bashing Christians is sport—and Catholics are the target of choice—the Weinsteins stand out. In 1995, they treated us to . . .

http://catholicleague.org/06press_releases/quarter 4/061220_black_christmas.htm
When talk around the campfire turns to things truly tasteless, look no further than making a movie like 'Black Christmas', nevermind releasing it on Christmas Day. I hate wishing ill on anyone but I hope the theatres were absolutely empty and that those behind it take a financial bath because of it.

Upvote 0

mumluvsherboys

Dec 14, 2006
✟7,867.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
It is disturbing to see that fellow human being actually set out to hurt people because they do not agree with their walk in life. If people really took the time to understand Christianity is about love and not hate perhaps they wouldn't be so angered by us. Or perhaps they wish to poke fun at us so they can continue to have an audience to back up their ridicule so they can continue to live in guilt free sin with nobody to be accountable to. I don't know. Whatever the case, this did not make them look better, in fact I am sure there are non-believers that would find this movie and release time tasteless. Perhaps the brothers did us a favor. God bless.

Upvote 0

dcyates

May 28, 2005
Calgary, AB.
✟2,162.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I kind of like a slasher flick now and then. I just saw a commercial for Black Christmas this afternoon and it sort of looked like it might be a good horror flick. I haven't read anything about the plot or details of the movie.
Slasher flicks, by their very nature, are dehumanizing and degrading. They're not in any regard uplifting, informative, or at the very least funny. So what's the point in watching them? It's not by accident that many of the people involved in the production of these types of films move back-and-forth between them and making inappropriate contentographic movies. Both sorts of movies are dehumanizing and degrading.

"For you used to be darkness; but now, united with the Lord, you are light. Live like children of light, for the fruit of the light is in every kind of goodness, rightness and truth--try to determine what will please the Lord. Have nothing to do with the deeds produced by darkness, but instead expose them, for it is shameful even to speak of the things these people do in secret" (Ephesians 5.8-13).

"In conclusion, brothers, focus your thoughts on what is true, noble, righteous, pure, lovable or admirable, on some virtue or on something praiseworthy. Keep doing what you have learned and received from me... then the God who gives peace will be with you" (Philippians 4.8-9).

My suggestion, NHB_MMA, (take it for what it's worth) would be that the next time you plan on going to see one of these slasher movies, take the two hours or so you would've spent in the theatre, and instead volunteer at your local food bank, soup kitchen or homeless shelter. And take the money you would've otherwise contributed to the people behind such films, and instead donate it to some worthwhile charity. Trust me, you'll feel better about yourself and will have actually helped society, rather than have contributed toward that which results in its further disintegration and decay.

Upvote 0

NHB_MMA

Veteran
Apr 9, 2006
✟16,814.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Slasher flicks, by their very nature, are dehumanizing and degrading. They're not in any regard uplifting, informative, or at the very least funny. So what's the point in watching them?

I understand they're not popular among the Christian community. They're not uplifting. I'd be stupid to pretend that they are. But I don't think that EVERYTHING we do in life has to be faith-related, or even uplifting. It's not gore for the purpose of gore that entertains me, but more suspense.

I would actually disagree a little bit that they're not informative. They sort of help you see how bad humanity can be...and it's okay to have knowledge of that. If I had never seen a slasher film, I would not be as cautious of a person as I am. When I come home, I look for signs of anyone lurking around the home, any signs of forced entry or anything unusual, etc. I have a small degree of fear/concern because of things I've seen in movies--not because of anything bad that has ever happened to me. But you'll not convince me that I would be as adapt to handle a horrible situation (such as someone stalking/following me) if I had never had any exposure to such films and was completely trusting, like my grandparents or something.

I understand your feelings and I'm not going to argue them or try to change your view at all. I'm sympathetic to anyone that does not want to be exposed to this material, but just stating my personal views.

It's not by accident that many of the people involved in the production of these types of films move back-and-forth between them and making inappropriate contentographic movies.

I've never heard that before. Where did you hear this?

Upvote 0

Voegelin

Reactionary
Aug 18, 2003
Connecticut
✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I understand they're not popular among the Christian community. They're not uplifting. I'd be stupid to pretend that they are. But I don't think that EVERYTHING we do in life has to be faith-related, or even uplifting. It's not gore for the purpose of gore that entertains me, but more suspense.

So why must suspense be degrading and pander to the lowest elements in humanity? That is what the Weinstein's sell.

Hitchcock was a master of suspense. Frenzy got the point across without graphic depictions better than any garbage Hollywood puts out today.

Don't know what you mean by "Christian community". 80% of Americans describe themselves as Christian. Are you saying these films are not popular among 80% of the country? I wish that were so, I wish the Weinstein's never made a buck in their lives, but that that isn't the case.

Depravity, if good people do not stand up and make it socially unacceptable, sells. From Roman displays of sadism to bear baiting in England between the 16th and 19th centuries to dog fights and offerings by the Weinstein brothers today, there is flaw in the human psyche which finds brutality and cruelty, not the suspense, tittilating. Why not encourage base elements to be taken out and leave the suspense you want?

Upvote 0

mumluvsherboys

Dec 14, 2006
✟7,867.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
It's slasher movie were they used the commercialized elements of Christmas big deal.

Except that Christmas' very meaning is of peace and giving. Even if you take the pagan's point of view. I also believe that if they were trying to mock Christians by this, we should be upset. So that is a big deal. However, like I said before their lack tact did not go unnoticed by the unbelievers, so I think they did us a favor. People eith their right mind, would not want to follow such thing. Blessings.

Upvote 0

NHB_MMA

Veteran
Apr 9, 2006
✟16,814.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
So why must suspense be degrading and pander to the lowest elements in humanity? That is what the Weinstein's sell.

Well, I do think the Weinsteins are garbage, from what I know about them.

Hitchcock was a master of suspense. Frenzy got the point across without graphic depictions better than any garbage Hollywood puts out today.

I am not familiar with that work. I know it has been argued that works in the past did not have the graphic portrails of those today. That is probably true. I do think people could get the point across without being as graphic as they sometimes are.

It does make me wonder about the old works. Were the not graphic by todays standards because they just weren't or because the lack the special effects and production budget of today's studios? I would be curious to know if the churches in the days of Edgar Allen Poe were critical of his works, denouncing them as occult? Some Christians in the past have had a way of turning into remoting connected to horror into being Satanic.

Don't know what you mean by "Christian community". 80% of Americans describe themselves as Christian. Are you saying these films are not popular among 80% of the country?

I was referring to people that actually have some level of a serious approach to their faith, whatever it may be, not those that just call themselves "Christian" because they're of European decent and are not Muslim or Jewish.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.