Legend
Jun 18, 2005
✟33,297.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
‘Uncomfortable truth’ in Matthew Shepard’s death | New York Post

"But Jimenez unearthed a story that few people wanted to hear. And it calls into question everything you think you know about the life and death of one of the leading icons of our age.
Matthew Shepard, college student. Killed, at 21, for being gay.
Or was he?
Jimenez’s “The Book of Matt: Hidden Truths About the Murder of Matthew Shepard,” out last month, challenges every cultural myth surrounding Shepard’s short life and unspeakable death. After some 13 years of digging, including interviews with more than 100 sources, including Shepard’s killers, Jimenez makes a radioactive suggestion:
The grisly murder, 15 years ago this month, was no hate crime.
Shepard’s tragic and untimely demise may not have been fueled by his sexual orientation, but by drugs. For Shepard had likely agreed to trade methamphetamines for sex. And it killed him."

This news story was used to push for gay tolerance back in the 80s, I think it was the 80s. Gay friends of mine say it doesn't matter what the truth of the matter is, this story did much to help make society tolerate them and their lifestyle. Was it wrong to twist the facts of what happened in order for the media to manipulate society?

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Was it wrong to twist the facts of what happened in order for the media to manipulate society?

Maybe you should ask Jimenez about that.

"Unlike [Jimenez], who visited Laramie from New York a year and a half [after Shepard's murder], I was an attorney living in Laramie, and had been for several years, when Matthew was murdered. I mention that only because Laramie has few people and we tend to know of each other. Hidden truths behind notorious crimes are as rare as windless winters."

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
I don't think this holds any water. The defenses in the courtroom told the tale. They used a "gay panick" defense, for crying out loud.

Maybe they thought that defence would be taken more seriously?

I'd scarcely expect them to say "I killed him because he owed us drug money". You'd probably wind up with a heavier sentence.

Upvote 0

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat

I'd scarcely expect them to say "I killed him because he owed us drug money". You'd probably wind up with a heavier sentence.

I would expect the facts to come out in court.

The gay panic thing is a bottom of the barrel defense, when you have absolutely nothing else.

But regardless, Matt's story raised awareness. That is important, so if there is any good that can come from his death, perhaps it is that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟320,744.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

Or perhaps this recent claim is a complete and utter lie, one that can only get traction with an author who is willing to take something the killers say as true without evidence to sell books.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟904,673.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
‘Uncomfortable truth’ in Matthew Shepard’s death | New York Post

"But Jimenez unearthed a story that few people wanted to hear. And it calls into question everything you think you know about the life and death of one of the leading icons of our age.
Matthew Shepard, college student. Killed, at 21, for being gay.
Or was he?
Jimenez’s “The Book of Matt: Hidden Truths About the Murder of Matthew Shepard,” out last month, challenges every cultural myth surrounding Shepard’s short life and unspeakable death. After some 13 years of digging, including interviews with more than 100 sources, including Shepard’s killers, Jimenez makes a radioactive suggestion:
The grisly murder, 15 years ago this month, was no hate crime.
Shepard’s tragic and untimely demise may not have been fueled by his sexual orientation, but by drugs. For Shepard had likely agreed to trade methamphetamines for sex. And it killed him."

This news story was used to push for gay tolerance back in the 80s, I think it was the 80s. Gay friends of mine say it doesn't matter what the truth of the matter is, this story did much to help make society tolerate them and their lifestyle. Was it wrong to twist the facts of what happened in order for the media to manipulate society?

Should we not first substantiate that facts were twisted prior to asking this question?

Upvote 0
I

IanCG

The gay panic thing is a bottom of the barrel defense, when you have absolutely nothing else.

But regardless, Matt's story raised awareness. That is important, so if there is any good that can come from his death, perhaps it is that.

And there is nothing some people would like more than to shove that awareness back in the closet.

Upvote 0

Autumnleaf

Legend
Jun 18, 2005
✟33,297.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

Do you think a court room is a magical place where lies are exposed?

The gay panic defense was the best shot they had, if their real reason was drug related violence.

That awareness is the point now isn't it?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Do you think a court room is a magical place where lies are exposed?

Do you think a book published by (gasp) The Media is a magical place where lies are exposed?

There is no magic in a courtroom, and mistakes happen, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
Or perhaps this recent claim is a complete and utter lie, one that can only get traction with an author who is willing to take something the killers say as true without evidence to sell books.

Er...sure. Just pointing out that some of the off-the-cuff attempts at an explanation without actually looking at the author's case don't overturn it.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟320,744.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Er...sure. Just pointing out that some of the off-the-cuff attempts at an explanation without actually looking at the author's case don't overturn it.

True,

But if there is one thing I've learned on this site it is if words like 'Truth' are in a thread title the premise is almost always a lie or a twisting of the truth.

So my default position for a book with 'Truth' in the title is going to be the same.

Also isn't the burden on the one making a claim? So far I have seen not one whit of evidence that the book is correct.

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
True,

But if there is one thing I've learned on this site it is if words like 'Truth' are in a thread title the premise is almost always a lie or a twisting of the truth.

So my default position for a book with 'Truth' in the title is going to be the same.

Also isn't the burden on the one making a claim? So far I have seen not one whit of evidence that the book is correct.

Oh, sure. Can only work with what I've been given. ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dusky Mouse

Cats Are In Charge ~ Accept It!
Sep 25, 2013
Adelaide S.Australia
✟2,598.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I don't think this holds any water. The defenses in the courtroom told the tale. They used a "gay panic" defense, for crying out loud.
Exactly right.
This authors motives are suspect to say the least considering he evidently isn't aware of that fact.
What's next? Is he going to go after the case of James Byrd, who's death helped along with Matthew's, to spur on the hate crime legislation push?
James Byrd was dragged to death behind a pickup truck by a bunch of racist white trash until he died in bloody pieces on the dirt country road!
What would Jimenez argue so as to conflict with those true events?
"It wasn't racism that caused these men to do this! It was a hitchhiking gone wrong on Mr.Byrds part!"

I'd wonder why Jimenez is looking to essentially say Matthew's murder was partly his fault. Especially when Jimenez says he's a gay man in the course of writing this book. As if that means anything to this terrible tragedy that befell Matthew.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟320,744.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
This from the excerpt simply does not make sense:

For Shepard had likely agreed to trade methamphetamines for sex. And it killed him."

If Shepard was trading drugs for sex it would be GAY sex.

That would mean the guys on the other end of the transaction were also gay, which just does not fit with everything else or they were straight and went ballistic when they found out Shepard meant gay sex.....

Which puts us right back with the way the case went and he was basically murdered because he was gay.

Upvote 0

Dusky Mouse

Cats Are In Charge ~ Accept It!
Sep 25, 2013
Adelaide S.Australia
✟2,598.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
This from the excerpt simply does not make sense:

If Shepard was trading drugs for sex it would be GAY sex.

That would mean the guys on the other end of the transaction were also gay, which just does not fit with everything else or they were straight and went ballistic when they found out Shepard meant gay sex.....

Which puts us right back with the way the case went and he was basically murdered because he was gay.
Exactly. I don't think this author realizes that either. It would be lovely if you could post that observation to his attention somehow. News to him! And he wrote the book.

At this point the question for me becomes, what are his true motives. He doesn't even seem to know the convicted mens defense at trial.

Bashing a dead boy thinking he's somehow removing the mantel of martyr or some such label attached to the horrific crime against Matthewk is pathetic. Especially when he's so clearly failed in just review of his own words about his own book.
I look at the bright side. He saved people the purchase price and the read to find this all out. :p^_^

Upvote 0

Verv

Senior Veteran
Apr 17, 2005
서울
✟31,762.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Even if this story wasn't all it seemed - what difference does it make? There is no viable argument against gay rights.

... But there is.

Regardless of this story, there is.

I think that you shouldn't use such presumptive language. It is undignified.

Upvote 0