†Prayer†

S

stevi_holy

“God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth should change, though the mountains shake in the heart of the sea; though its waters roar and foam, though the mountains tremble with its tumult.” Psalm 46:1-3

The only sure things in life….well, death and taxes certainly make the list but wouldn’t you also add CHANGE?

Change is a constant in life. Nothing stays the same. Everything is in process. Now what do we do with that? Is change a good thing or not?

Do we resist change or do we embrace it? Do we see change as a threat or as the promise of something new? I guess that depends, doesn’t it?

When we are ill, we long for the change of restored health. Yet when we are healthy, don’t we dread the change that potential illness could bring our way?

When we are young, we long to grow older…old enough, at least, to do what we can’t do while young.

The truth is that we wrestle constantly with change. The changes of our lives bend over backwards to remind us that we are not nearly as in control of life as we think we are, or think we ought to be. Changes keep coming. And try as we might to stem the tide, the tsunami of change overwhelms us.

I have change on my mind as we head into this new week. This is the big week that our little congregation on the west side of Houston moves into a new building on a new site. This past Sunday was our last opportunity to worship in the building that has housed us since 1989. Next Sunday, we throw open the doors to a very different kind of facility – a large multipurpose space with basketball goals hanging over the worship center, new capabilities for video and lighting, and a parking lot large enough to save us from risking parking on the grass in wet weather.

We have been working on this new church building for many years. Some of you on this devotions list have contributed to this project, again I share my heart-felt thanks! And now we are just days away from a dream becoming a reality. We are facing a change of majestic proportions.

So what do we do with this change? What do we do with any change? The word for Monday is…we realize that while God is our sure foundation and we can trust that God’s presence and love will never change, everything else in life is up for grabs!

Let us pray: Lord, sometimes we flee from change as our enemy and sometimes we embrace it as our friend. But this we know – when the earth is moving under our feet we seek solid ground. Ground us in you! Be our Rock and our Redeemer amid that the chances and changes of life. In Jesus’ name. Amen.