Not open for further replies.

ThePilgrim

Veteran
Aug 10, 2005
✟10,328.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Hey guys!

Glory to Jesus Christ! Could you all please pray for my grandpa, Charles, who just passed away about 35 minutes ago, and also for my dad (Fr. Gregory), since he just lost his father, and for the rest of us who miss him, and also because the weather is really snowy and bad, so the drive will be difficult.

Thanks

In Christ,
John

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
John, having just lost my Grandfather at the beginning of November I know how deep a loss this must be to you and your family! I will definitely keep you and your family in my prayers as well as the soul of your Grandfather. May his memory be eternal!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

angelosgabriel

Newly Illumined
Feb 16, 2008
Aliso Viejo, CA
✟15,176.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
He must be an outstanding man to have raised a man such as your father. And I see he also served in the army, receiving a purple heart. Memory eternal.

Charles R. Hogg Sr.
Munhall

Charles Robert "Bob" Hogg Sr., 84, of Munhall, died Saturday, March 1, 2008. Bob was a member of St. John Mark Lutheran Church and a World War II Army veteran who served in Gen. George S. Patton's Third Army during the Battle of the Bulge. He was a Purple Heart recipient and a member of the 6th Armored Association, the 10th Armored "Tiger" Division Vets Association, the Veterans of the Battle of the Bulge, the Homestead American Legion and the G.A.R. Memorial Day Association. He also was a member of Duquesne McKeesport Lodge 731 F&AM, Homestead Amity McCandless Lodge 582 F&AM, AARP 3801, the Homestead BPOE, the U.S. Steel Supervisors Association and the Steel Valley Senior Golf League. Dear husband of Agnes (Patterson) Hogg and the late Betty (Schultz). Beloved father of Susan (Danny) Lucsko, of Peachtree City, Ga.; Amy (Robert) Deull, of San Born, N.Y.; Megan (Gary) Topolosky, of Brentwood, and the Rev. Charles Robert (Cynthia) Hogg Jr., of Byron Center, Mich. Cherished grandfather of Charles R. III (Amy), John, Laura, Vera and Marina Hogg, Dr. David Lucsko, Carolyn (Will) Taylor and Elizabeth Topolosky. Cherished great-grandfather of Cathryn Taylor. Friends received from 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m. Monday and Tuesday at GEORGE IRVIN GREEN FUNERAL HOME INC., 3511 Main St., Munhall, a selected Golden Rule Member. Services will be at 11:30 a.m. Wednesday in St. John Mark Lutheran Church with the Rev. Robert Gago officiating.

Upvote 0

ThePilgrim

Veteran
Aug 10, 2005
✟10,328.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Thanks for your prayers everyone. It was... difficult.

He really was a great man and a great grandpa.

Like that article said, he got a Purple Heart for his service in WWII. He really did a lot of amazing stuff over in Europe. Originally, when he enlisted (as soon as he turned 18), he did so well in basic training that they wanted him to stay in the US and train other people, but he really wanted to go serve his country in Europe, fighting the Nazis. He asked his superior if he could "go over his head" to request service in Europe, and the officer agreed, thinking that my grandpa was just going to go to the person right above him...

Instead, he wrote a 12-page letter to the Secretary of War. Hehe. His commanding officer wasn't happy with that, but he did get sent to Europe, where he ended up commanding a group of tanks and helping to liberate part of Belgium from the Nazis. He also served in the Battle of the Bulge.

What impressed me especially, though, was that even though he was doing his duty and fighting what was an evil regime, he still mourned all his life for the men that he killed in the line of duty, because he knew that they were ordinary soldiers, just trying to protect themselves and their family, and he could see their humanity throughout it all, and he respected them as fellow human beings, even as he fought for his country and fought against the evils of Nazism.

Also, throughout it all, he kept his faith in God, and it was actually strengthened. His dad, my great-grandfather, served in World War 1, and after everything that he saw there, he never went to Church again, whereas my grandpa never missed a Sunday.

He was always kind of ornery in life, and liked to ask difficult questions in Bible studies, sometimes out of curiosity, and sometimes to see if he could stump the pastor ;-)

Anyawys, thank you all for your prayers for him and for my family. Please continue to pray for him. He had a deep and abiding faith in God, but was always a little scared by the fact that he had shed human blood.

Grace and peace,
John

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.