Interestingly there is a pattern in many conversion stories. I see one here, in the Gospel of John Ch 4: 1-26.
1. Resist – The first time when Christ starts a conversation, looking for our hearts we outright decline, like this Samaritan woman, “You are a Jew and I am a Samaritan woman. How can you ask me for a drink?” (John 4:9)
2. Rationalize – with a little more conversation, we rationalize comparing and confusing spiritual truths with wordily “wisdom”, we argue, “You have nothing to draw with and the well is deep. Where can you get this living water?” (v.11)
3. Request – When we start to develop a wavering faith, we pray and test the results. Our faith at this stage is based on miracles. Miracles based on our livelihood in this world. like her, we pray, “Sir, give me this water so that I won’t get thirsty and have to keep coming here to draw water.” (v.15)
4. Repent – It is only after our true self, all our depravity is exposed to us, we really repent, we might be astonished, and we accept “I can see that you are a prophet.” (v.19) and from there lead to believe He is the Messiah, Savior of the world and more importantly our soul.
5. Rejoice – Once we know Who we are talking to, we leave our earthen vessels at His feet, run and rejoice to declare just like her, “leaving her water jar, the woman went back to the town and said to the people, “Come, see a man who told me everything I ever did. Could this be the Messiah?” (V.28-29).
And it is from there, there is no turning back, no running back to the worldly water well. With the changed life and fulfilled soul, we change the world, and hear people exclaim, “We no longer believe just because of what you said; now we have heard for ourselves, and we know that this man really is the Savior of the world.”(v.42)
But please remember, it all starts many verses before here in (v.4), when “he had to go through Samaria.”
He, who created everything,
He, who is eternal,
He, who is omnipotent,
But He HAD TO GO through the little town called Samaria, so, to talk and change the life of a woman.
Just like He had to cross your life, maybe through a friend, a tract, a preacher, a family member, who knows it could be this simple FB post. But the response is yours, resist, rationalize, request, but eventually repent and then you may truly rejoice.
Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.
Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.
We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!
The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!