We continue the study of the epistles with the Book of Hebrews, wherein Paul discusses the unique nature of the Christ.
Notes on Chapters 1-4 of Hebrews
- "[Jesus Christ] is the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of his nature, and he upholds the universe by the word of his power." (Hebrews 1:3 English Standard Version)
- The name of Christ is greater than that of the angels and we have Christ in us, therefore we partake in his inheritance. (Hebrews 1:4)
- All angels are ministers to the elect (note Paul does not say mankind in general). (Hebrews 1:14)
- Salvation came from the message delivered by Christ (Hebrews 2:13) and then attested to by his disciples and the miracles of God. (Hebrews 2:3-4). I believe it is vitally important that we follow this model in evangelism and exercise those spiritual gifts that have been imparted to us by the Lord to serve as a witness to the Gospel.
- Everything will ultimately be made subject to Christ, although for the time being this does not appear to be the case. (Hebrews 2:8)
- The devil was given the power of death over mankind but in his death Christ destroyed the devil's power and brought forth eternal life. (Hebrews 2:14). My understanding of the power of death is that it comes into play once one has sinned and that presumably one could live forever if one never sinned and so this is why it was important that Christ be sinless upon his death. Christ didn't inherit Adamic sin because he had no human father.
- "For because he himself has suffered when tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted." (Hebrews 2:18 ESV). My understanding of this is that, while he never sinned, Christ suffered all temptations to sin and in so doing gained compassion and empathy for men. Therefore we, in Christ, should be able to tap into that to have compassion for all sinners, no matter what our mortal judgments may be.
- We are all spiritual houses that the Lord is building. (Hebrews 3:4)
- Sin hardens our heart and makes us blind to the things of God. (Hebrews 3:13)
- You will not be able to rest in Christ if you are disobedient to him. (Hebrews 3:18)
- "So then, there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God, for whoever has entered God's rest has also rested from his works as God did from his." (Hebrews 4:9-10 ESV). We must rest from our own "good" works and abide in Christ so that we may enter rest in him.
- "For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. And no creature is hidden from his sight, but all are naked and exposed to the eyes of him to whom we must give account." (Hebrews 4:12-13 ESV)
Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.
Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.
We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!
The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!