Zika virus: WHO declares global public health emergency, says causal link to brain defects ‘strongly

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟570,032.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The World Health Organization on Monday designated the Zika virus a public health emergency of international concern, an action it has taken only three times before and which paves the way for the mobilization of more funding and manpower to fight the mosquito-born pathogen spreading “explosively” through the Americas.

Zika, which was first identified more than 50 years ago, has alarmed public health officials in recent months because of its possible association with thousands of cases of brain defects, known as microcephaly, in newborns. The WHO has estimated that the virus will reach most of the hemisphere and infect up to 4 million people by year’s end.

http://republicbroadcasting.org/new...sal-link-to-brain-defects-strongly-suspected/

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟570,032.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Tried DDT lately.....?

"Dr. Robert Zubrin, the President of Pioneer Energy and author of the book, Energy Victory, says governmental bureaucracies around the world are not doing enough to stop the Zika virus and called for the use of the pesticide DDT to eradicate themosquitoes that spread it."

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2016/02/01/dr-robert-zubrin-use-ddt-to-fight-zika-virus/

"He dismissed government claims that DDT, which has been banned in the US for decades, has a negative impact on the environment and said the benefits of using it now far outweigh any potential hazards."

Last edited:
Reactions: Tallguy88
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Tried DDT lately.....?

"Dr. Robert Zubrin, the President of Pioneer Energy and author of the book, Energy Victory, says governmental bureaucracies around the world are not doing enough to stop the Zika virus and called for the use of the pesticide DDT to eradicate themosquitoes that spread it."

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2016/02/01/dr-robert-zubrin-use-ddt-to-fight-zika-virus/

"He dismissed government claims that DDT, which has been banned in the US for decades, has a negative impact on the environment and said the benefits of using it now far outweigh any potential hazards."

Interesting.

Upvote 0

Uncle Siggy

Promulgator of Annoying Tidbits of Information
Dec 4, 2015
Ohio
✟61,528.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Tried DDT lately.....?

http://www.christianforums.com/thre...de-ban…-what-was-the-truth-behind-it.7930820/

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It will be a banner year for the mosquito-killing industries. Those "zappers" will fly off the shelves.

Pssst...... the best location for a bug zapper is away from your residence ....... ideally close to that stupid neighbor's house.....Don't tell anybody where you heard it.

Might also be a good idea for encouraging birth control. It may be a few years before an effective vaccine is developed. Of course this will be a boon for the anti-vax crowd who will claim the vaccine causes autism and is a mark of the Beast.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟570,032.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It will be a banner year for the mosquito-killing industries. Those "zappers" will fly off the shelves.

Pssst...... the best location for a bug zapper is away from your residence ....... ideally close to that stupid neighbor's house.....Don't tell anybody where you heard it.

Might also be a good idea for encouraging birth control. It may be a few years before an effective vaccine is developed. Of course this will be a boon for the anti-vax crowd who will claim the vaccine causes autism and is a mark of the Beast.

What's odd is that a good conspiracy theory is all that it takes to get a chemical banned from being used on the environment, while at the same time, conspiracy theories on Human vaccines are laughed off, and those who make such claims are stigmatized.

...That says a lot about people in general. I don't claim to understand it.

Reactions: Uncle Siggy
Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What's odd is that a good conspiracy theory is all that it takes to get a chemical banned from being used on the environment, while at the same time, conspiracy theories on Human vaccines are laughed off, and those who make such claims are stigmatized.

...That says a lot about people in general. I don't claim to understand it.
How's that asbestos insulation working out for you? FYI, humans are part of the environment and there is no vaccine for the earth.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟570,032.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How's that asbestos insulation working out for you? FYI, humans are part of the environment and there is no vaccine for the earth.

One could say that any invention should be investigated, whether it be environmental or medical. But it's odd when vaccination /medical skepticism is vehmently discounted, while making equally skeptical environmental issues a top priority.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟570,032.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟269,957.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Tried DDT lately.....?

yeah, all the data shows that ddt scare was alot of corelation doesn't equal causation.

Upvote 0

SepiaAndDust

There's a FISH in the percolator
May 6, 2012
Mid-America
✟26,546.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

DDT might get us through this mosquito scare, but if we need to use it for some worse disease later, we may find that the mosquitos are immune to it.

We might use DDT to help prevent microcephaly, but the tradeoff will be more spontaneous abortions from early-term miscarriage.

Upvote 0

Uncle Siggy

Dec 4, 2015
Ohio
✟61,528.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Sometimes I wonder of the environmental impact if we somehow managed to completely wipe out mosquitoes off the face of the earth.

There would be a whole lot more people on the planet for starters for the simple reason I think I've heard that 1-2 million or more die each year from malaria alone. As far as the animal world goes I wouldn't be afraid to say their populations would also be much higher...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sistrin

We are such stuff as dreams are made on...
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Location Location Location
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There was a thread sometime back, and in truth I don't recall if it was here or on another website I frequent, which posed the question who in history qualified as the most notorious mass killer. My answer was Rachael Carson.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There would be a whole lot more people on the planet for starters for the simple reason I think I've heard that 1/2 million or more die each year from malaria alone. As far as the animal world goes I wouldn't be afraid to say their populations would also be much higher...
The goal would not be complete eradication because mosquitoes are food for some species as well as pests to us. Not all mosquitoes carry Zika. It would also seem a rather unlikely outcome anyway.

And there is a new-fangled "Intelligent Design" method ....

Upvote 0

Uncle Siggy

Dec 4, 2015
Ohio
✟61,528.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
There was a thread sometime back, and in truth I don't recall if it was here or on another website I frequent, which posed the question who in history qualified as the most notorious mass killer. My answer was Rachael Carson.

Yea she's responsible for millions...

51KRmbqxakL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Upvote 0

ChristsSoldier115

Mabaho na Kuya
Jul 30, 2013
The greatest state in the Union: Ohio
✟26,502.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
There would be a whole lot more people on the planet for starters for the simple reason I think I've heard that 1-2 million or more die each year from malaria alone. As far as the animal world goes I wouldn't be afraid to say their populations would also be much higher...
I know bats eat a LOT of mosquitoes. So we would probably see a huge decline in bat populations.. at least the ones back home. Most of my family mmbers have bat houses attached to their houses for mosquito repellent.

Upvote 0

Uncle Siggy

Dec 4, 2015
Ohio
✟61,528.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I know bats eat a LOT of mosquitoes. So we would probably see a huge decline in bat populations.. at least the ones back home. Most of my family mmbers have bat houses attached to their houses for mosquito repellent.

Yea but they eat a lot of other things too like slow flying insects and fruits so I don't think it would really affect their population all that much. You never know with the mosquito population being smaller other insects might flourish and the bats may eat them instead. Most animals are adaptable as to what they eat so they should be ok, they might have to expand their range a little though.

Upvote 0

Uncle Siggy

Dec 4, 2015
Ohio
✟61,528.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
How's that asbestos insulation working out for you?

Asbestos is naturally occurring (rocks) and you may be breathing it in everyday and don't know it. The only way it is a hazard in your house is if you have loose fibers everywhere, as long as it's encased (in tile, plastic or painted over) its a minimal risk...

Upvote 0