Youth of the Apocalypse and the Last True Rebellion: Anyone here read this book?

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Haven't read "Youth of the Apocalypse" but did once read "Nihilism". If you want a book that'll open your eyes than that is definitely it!
The "Nihilism" one was definitely more intensive than the "Youth of the Apocalypse" - but it is truly an eye-opener. Curious, if you'd not mind sharing, what on the book really stood out to you :)

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟135,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Gxg (G²);65147020 said:
The "Nihilism" one was definitely more intensive than the "Youth of the Apocalypse" - but it is truly an eye-opener. Curious, if you'd not mind sharing, what on the book really stood out to you :)
The honesty! :D

It's been about four or five years since I read it, but from what I can remember basically the four stages of Nihilism and how society is, sadly, following them almost to the letter. That and the bits where he talks about monarchies here and there. Those are the two things that come to mind immediately.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The honesty! :D

It's been about four or five years since I read it, but from what I can remember basically the four stages of Nihilism and how society is, sadly, following them almost to the letter. That and the bits where he talks about monarchies here and there. Those are the two things that come to mind immediately.
The different stages of Nihilism were interesting to consider when seeing how they played out - I'd say that our society has gone through all of them exactly, although not necessarily in the order he noted......

What he noted on monarchies and the ways that authority from the top down is connected to seeing God's authority....that was something to consider...

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟135,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Gxg (G²);65162323 said:
The different stages of Nihilism were interesting to consider when seeing how they played out - I'd say that our society has gone through all of them exactly, although not necessarily in the order he noted......

What he noted on monarchies and the ways that authority from the top down is connected to seeing God's authority....that was something to consider...

I remember at the time I read the book I was thinking that with Christianity and traditional ways of living being frowned upon these days that it can not be by mistake. The West is becoming increasingly anti-Christian and it is by design. It is by design of the evil one via Nihilism. That was 2009. I wonder what a re-read would be like with all that has happened in the last five years.

Fr. Seraphim Rose certainly had a great deal of insight and understanding of how good and evil forces work in the world. Perhaps it was for his salvation that the Lord brought him home when He did.

Upvote 0

jckstraw72

Doin' that whole Orthodox thing
Dec 9, 2005
South Canaan, PA
Visit site
✟64,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
I remember at the time I read the book I was thinking that with Christianity and traditional ways of living being frowned upon these days that it can not be by mistake. The West is becoming increasingly anti-Christian and it is by design. It is by design of the evil one via Nihilism. That was 2009. I wonder what a re-read would be like with all that has happened in the last five years.

Fr. Seraphim Rose certainly had a great deal of insight and understanding of how good and evil forces work in the world. Perhaps it was for his salvation that the Lord brought him home when He did.

as Fr. Damascene says, he knew Christ had to be real because he knew Antichrist is real.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
A re-read may be beneficial to consider in light of how things have played out since 2009. For myself, you can definitely see the ways that things cycle over time and how much of it is not noticed - although I do think we have to be careful not to read too much into every single instance of calling for change or "revolution" as if it was a matter of designed Nihilism. Some things in the West seemed very much necessary to develop in time and there were Christians leading it as well - and with how things have been anti-Christian, I do wonder if that's more of a matter of being anti-Christian in the sense of being opposed to the Biblical narrative or anti-Christian in the same way that other Christians were deemed "anti-Christian" for opposing mindsets held in the name of Christ that never were advocated by Jesus...

Fr. Seraphim Rose certainly had a great deal of insight and understanding of how good and evil forces work in the world. Perhaps it was for his salvation that the Lord brought him home when He did
I wonder if that was the case with him being spared from what was to come.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Haven't read "Youth of the Apocalypse" but did once read "Nihilism". If you want a book that'll open your eyes than that is definitely it!

Amazon says my copy of "Nihilism" will be here tomorrow:cool: ~~the other is a little out of my price range at the moment..

Upvote 0

ikonographics

In patience I waited patiently on the Lord
Apr 27, 2008
Greece
Visit site
✟27,987.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

ikonographics

In patience I waited patiently on the Lord
Apr 27, 2008
Greece
Visit site
✟27,987.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
i think you mentioned that album once before, you must really love it! i have it on my iPod although I haven't listened to it in quite a while.

I hadn't listened to it in a while, but I was copying it for a priest in my parish after a discussion we had today about music.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Amazon says my copy of "Nihilism" will be here tomorrow:cool: ~~the other is a little out of my price range at the moment..
Indeed, due to the age of the book, "Youth of the Apocalypse" is rather pricey - I was shocked when reading the book and considering how few people have it nowadays due to it being an expensive classic - you definitely can't just order another one if it's damaged...

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I'm in the middle of Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future and have found it very insightful. Fr. Seraphim had a tremendous grasp on where our culture is heading religiously and expresses the dangers of it very clearly and thoughtfully.
Will have to get a hold of that read coming up - good to know people realize the times...

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
there is a guy from California named Turbo Qualls, who was into the punk scene and is an emerging iconographer (he was formerly a tattoo artists) and speaker. and that book was what led him to Orthodoxy.
Just came across some of Turbo's work recently and I have to admit I was stunned...
https://twitter.com/turboqualls

Last edited:
Upvote 0