Weird
Aug 6, 2012
City 17
✟9,216.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hai guys, I was wondering what's are your feels about eccentric people in general including but not limited to work/school, friendship, dating, etc.
I'm just curious to know how different individuals views eccentric people throughout different areas of their life.
An eccentric person is pretty subjective so to be more precise, what traits do you appreciate in an eccentric person? How about the traits you dislike? Do they even out in the end? How so?

I personally like them a lot because it enhances the human diversity, but then again, I'm eccentric myself so I don't know if my opinion should count in this specific subject
:asd:

Reactions: Somber

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
It depends on what they're eccentric about, and how noticeable they make it others. Sometimes they can be refreshing or charming, while others are obnoxious or just plain old weird.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MiniEmu

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 19, 2015
UK
✟21,720.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
In my life I rarely meet people I'd consider to be an eccentric, though I suppose I do meet plenty of people who fit the definition of eccentric.

Either way everyone is a little bit unusual, once you get down to it. Which makes defining their traits a little difficult. Individuals who go out of their way to be eccentric, in such a deliberate way that it's not part of their being but part of a persona they're building, will probably wear me out sooner than someone who simply is.

In those who are completely unaware that their behaviour could be considered eccentric, I find the innocence charming. The look when they realise this is something unique to them, and maybe others scattered across the globe but certainly not the majority, is one that is rather sweet.

Those who are aware, but continue because they cannot fathom being anything but who they are, I admire for being themselves.

Eccentricity as part of an excuse to behave appallingly towards others, I possibly would have to say that is most disagreeable.

I am not what I would consider eccentric, so my views are bland.

Upvote 0

Somber

꧁✿❁❀❁✿꧂
Oct 23, 2011
The Fairy Ring
✟101,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Many eccentric characteristics I find to be intriguing, endearing, or fun in a person, while other forms of it can make me uncomfortable at times. It completely depends on the person, and what type, as TX_Matt said. In my opinion, everyone has little things about them that are eccentric. I do not think that I have ever met a person without learning or noticing at least one unique/eccentric characteristic particular to them; little things like this can make each person I meet endearing to me in some way or another.

Upvote 0

axydavid

Weird
Aug 6, 2012
City 17
✟9,216.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Makes life more interesting sometimes. It depends on the eccentricity.
Yes indeed,please do go into details about the types of eccentricity you like and dislike.

It depends on what they're eccentric about, and how noticeable they make it others. Sometimes they can be refreshing or charming, while others are obnoxious or just plain old weird.
Please go ahead and expand your opinion, what areas do you find being eccentric about is a good thing? what areas are bad?
How much is too much when being noticeable? And overall what would you consider refreshing? what about weird?

In my life I rarely meet people I'd consider to be an eccentric, though I suppose I do meet plenty of people who fit the definition of eccentric.

Either way everyone is a little bit unusual, once you get down to it. Which makes defining their traits a little difficult. Individuals who go out of their way to be eccentric, in such a deliberate way that it's not part of their being but part of a persona they're building, will probably wear me out sooner than someone who simply is.

In those who are completely unaware that their behaviour could be considered eccentric, I find the innocence charming. The look when they realise this is something unique to them, and maybe others scattered across the globe but certainly not the majority, is one that is rather sweet.

Those who are aware, but continue because they cannot fathom being anything but who they are, I admire for being themselves.

Eccentricity as part of an excuse to behave appallingly towards others, I possibly would have to say that is most disagreeable.

I am not what I would consider eccentric, so my views are bland.
You did repeat the same point like 3 time trough-out the post but that's all-right :p, this is not criticism, just an observation.
Please DO go into details as to why would you consider them eccentrics? What is the difference between being eccentric and fitting the definition of eccentric? Do go into details about the difference between faking it and being real and about the innocence thing you mentioned. And explain why some people would think of faking eccentricity, what's the gain?

Yeah, mental illness can be charming.
Hahahah that's a very blunt way to put it lo. However I hope you do realise you belong into this category as-well.

Not my cup of tea, really.

Though I suppose it doesn't help that my idea of eccentric is Lady Gaga. In which case no, definitely not my cup of tea.
We are talking about real humans over here, lady gaga is a product of society.

Many eccentric characteristics I find to be intriguing, endearing, or fun in a person, while other forms of it can make me uncomfortable at times. It completely depends on the person, and what type, as TX_Matt said. In my opinion, everyone has little things about them that are eccentric. I do not think that I have ever met a person without learning or noticing at least one unique/eccentric characteristic particular to them; little things like this can make each person I meet endearing to me in some way or another.
Of course everyone has their quirks, but that doesn't necessary makes them eccentric. But I wasn't very specific, I was referring humans that are out of place, the ones you occasionally have a hard time getting your mind around.
However please go ahead and tell us about the characteristics that you find intriguing, along with the ones that are awkward.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hawthorne

CF Singles High Council
Sep 1, 2005
Going to and fro and up and down in the earth.
✟44,826.00
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Given the definition of eccentricity (the state of being uncentered), a wide range is covered. Some are charming, some are not; that is to say, some are closer to center than others.

Slight social awkwardness and a quirky sense of humour are charming; poor personal hygiene, and bipolar symptoms... not so much. The former is likely attractive because of its honesty, but is appealing because it's closer to normal than someone with a chemical imbalance. Both, however, are eccentric.

Upvote 0

MiniEmu

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 19, 2015
UK
✟21,720.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You did repeat the same point like 3 time trough-out the post but that's all-right :p, this is not criticism, just an observation.
Please DO go into details as to why would you consider them eccentrics? What is the difference between being eccentric and fitting the definition of eccentric? Do go into details about the difference between faking it and being real and about the innocence thing you mentioned. And explain why some people would think of faking eccentricity, what's the gain?

Did I repeat myself? I can never tell. Sometimes I assume the things I type are quite different, when really they are not. I am, as some would say, a little slow, and read far more into similar words in different ways than perhaps I should.

Why I would consider who eccentrics? People in general? Or the stereotypical British eccentric as opposed to eccentric people? I do not think you can state why someone is considered eccentric, until you meet them. In some cases you have to present that person as their whole self to explain what you mean. Lord Bath borders on being a living representation of my view of an eccentric person, in his whole being really from my limited interactions with him.

I'm not sure I mean faking eccentricity Just that some people do desperately want to be seen as eccentric, for whatever reason. They want to be identified this way and (some) become offended if they are not considered quite as eccentric as they imagined. Others are simply being who they are, and are shocked when people state they are eccentric.

Why is a complex thing isn't it? There are many people in the world, and lots of them want to be seen as something they admire. Is it so unusual for someone to wish to be seen as eccentric, to want to be known as that?

Once upon a time it was only those with the money to indulge their outlandish ways, or at the very least the lack of care to think about whether they are being starkly different, who were considered eccentric. I am old and out of touch.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟320,544.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, mental illness can be charming.

Actually I knew a very charming guy who was a pathological liar.

The really strange part was his lies were not for any kind of material gain and as far as I know were never intended to hurt people. Just tales about things he had done and people he knew.

The sad part is in the end it eroded his relationships.

Reactions: axydavid
Upvote 0

Toro

Oh, Hello!
Jan 27, 2012
You don't get to stalk me. :|
✟338,520.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Makes life more interesting sometimes. It depends on the eccentricity.

This, I myself am very weird. So when I see another of my kind I feel a kinship almost.

I say weird things, do weird things and...... one of my weird things is I love to mess with people. I don't like pushing people to real anger. However I do like to frustrate people.

I go to work and drive my boss nuts every day. However, he knows I do my job very well AND even though I drive him nuts....... without me his days would be so boring. I miss work, the next day everyone is so happy to see me, cause without me. The day just drags on and on.

Im kind of like the glue that holds it all together. I think that about MOST odd people. Oddness is what makes life interesting and holds it all together. Without it, no one is randomly asking "how many licks DOES it take to get to the tootsie roll center of a tootsie pop?" or busting out singing Frosty the snowman in the middle of July. Everyone is just walking around "Lovely weather we are having." or similar... :yawn:

Also, oddness keeps normal folks on their toes. Normal people simply speak without thinking or caring.

"How are you today?" They expect "Good and you?"

Not:

"How are you today?" "Would you like fries with that?"

Last edited:
Reactions: Somber
Upvote 0