Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
A lot of happiness now is looking forward to heaven.
As a catholic, no?
I can't imagine a place like heaven, when/where you have no goals. "OK I'm in Heaven, now don't I need to work towards "SuperHeaven" or "MegaHeaven"?
Just, as humans we need to look forward to something. Going to the next level, the next plateau.
As for hell, eternal damnation. You can only be flogged for so long. You can't burn forever? It does me no good to even contemplate this place. Maybe its like an eternal hangover that never improves. Or stuck in front of a TV and watching repeats of MASH 24/7. :)

Martinius

Catholic disciple of Jesus
Jul 2, 2010
The woods and lakes of the Great North
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You know, a discussion about heaven and hell is usually a no win situation, as everyone has different ideas, and some think they "know".

I have a fairly simple view of heaven as a state of being, not as a physical place. The best I can equate it with is like a dream, in that you seem to be in a place but you are not physically there. Beyond that, I have no clue and do not speculate, but will hopefully find out.

I have mixed feelings about various views of hell. Personally, I cannot fathom a place or state of being with eternal punishment. That does not equate with the idea of a loving, forgiving and just God. So to me, hell could be a "way station", a "place" to be reformed and rehabilitated rather than tortured. Kind of like the Catholic invention of purgatory. But I really don't know, and generally don't speculate beyond that.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
So to me, hell could be a "way station", a "place" to be reformed and rehabilitated rather than tortured. Kind of like the Catholic invention of purgatory
that is interesting marty, I like it

Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I have a hard time wrapping my head around either place. I can't imagine a crime worthy of eternal punishment for starters
With heaven, while the thought of no afterlife scares me, the thought of a (for lack of a better word ) boring afterlife scares me more. I like the idea in some religions of moving through various planes of existence striving towards some sort of perfection. I guess paradise for me also would include continuing to learn, grow and love.

I also can't imagine a heaven that I might obtain but my loved ones might not being full of any sort of joy. If I was there in such a place but knew my children were being tormented eternally, nothing could bring me joy....that's kind of how parental love works I think.

On a less serious note, I am a huge fan of Supernatural. ..and their depiction of hell was pretty funny...taking a number and standing in line, only to get to the front to get another number and back to the end of another long line

Reactions: Martinius
Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
can't imagine a crime worthy of eternal punishment for starters
Hitler? Stalin? I guess you have a much kinder heart than me

the thought of a (for lack of a better word ) boring afterlife scares me more.
Now that is a classic! :)

I guess paradise for me also would include continuing to learn, grow and love.
Good point!

I also can't imagine a heaven that I might obtain but my loved ones might not being full of any sort of joy. If I was there in such a place but knew my children were being tormented eternally, nothing could bring me joy..
Separation anxiety! I want to see my dog in the next life too! :)

I am a huge fan of Supernatural
Don't know it!

Upvote 0

Martinius

Catholic disciple of Jesus
Jul 2, 2010
The woods and lakes of the Great North
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I mean what is the point of eternal punishment? Just as an example to others, to scare the daylights out of them?
To be an example and a warning we would have to witness it somehow, like executing witches and heretics. You can look around you and see that very few people are scared of receiving eternal punishment. Or it they are, they block it out really well.

Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
You can look around you and see that very few people are scared of receiving eternal punishment
that's true too you know. we tend to fear other people more than God and his punishment.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

string_theory

May 2, 2016
Canada
✟15,150.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Interesting question. Usually, my only thoughts/wish of what heaven would be is that I am with my family and my children when I depart from this life; that some day when my children go that we are reunited. Perhaps a bit selfish but it's the most important thing to me. And hell is the opposite of that.

Upvote 0