United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
ἐξαλείφω,v \{ex-al-i'-fo}

1) to anoint or wash in every part 1a) to besmear: i.e. cover with lime (to whitewash or plaster) 2) to wipe off, wipe away 2a) to obliterate, erase, wipe out, blot out

Same word is used in Colossians 2:14.

Very interesting point though. Your assumption though means that if a name is in the book of life at any point, then they were saved at that point.

Let me ask, why would God put a name in a book with full knowledge that He would be taking it right back out?

Psalm 69:28 May they be blotted out of the book of life and not be listed with the righteous.

Sounds to me like unless your name is in the book at that point, then whether it was ever in there or not doesn't matter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

walkinginthelightnow

Jan 10, 2014
✟15,326.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is everyone's name in the book of life to begin with?

Is every soul that exists and existed written in the book of life and then at some point (death) or sooner...it can be blotted out.

Are all the wicked's names blotted out of the book of life?

Are all those who know not God and obey not his gospel...blotted out of the book of life?

If the righteous' names can be written in the book of life at some point after birth then be blotted out sometime after then we can lose our salvation.

If everyone's name is written in the book of life to begin with then...I don't think the passage is talking about losing salvation.

Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
are you alive now? so you could say you are in the book of life because you are alive now. Humans were written into the book with Adam and Eve. Jesus said do not fear man who can kill the body but fear God who can kill both body and soul in hell. hell is the second death, you must have life to die, does not mean they have eternal life or have eaten from the Tree of Life, just means they are alive now. I say no it is not talking about losing salvation because of John 6. Which Jesus said those who come to me i will never reject. did you hear that?
Jesus said He would never reject His children, so how can a person lose salvation? That would make God a liar, but God is Truth there are no lies in Him. So a person can not lose salvation, now there are those in church who were never saved but there not in Christ Church just the church of men.

Simple answer God was saying you would die and not go on. when I say go on I do not mean they get nothingness as much as some people would love to believe that is what happens, they go to the land of the dead which is hell. God is Life the opposite is death. Everything not apart of God is thrown into the fire hell. God said death was cast in the lake of fire. Jesus compared hell to the place where they put the waste, and that is what it is a garbage dump, everything bad not from God goes to the dump hell.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Avid

A Pilgrim and a Sojourner...
Sep 21, 2013
✟13,263.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
... Psalm 69:28 May they be blotted out of the book of life and not be listed with the righteous.

Sounds to me like unless your name is in the book at that point, then whether it was ever in there or not doesn't matter.
This is the way I take it. I do not need to know the other. I don't need to know if a name is in there from before the foundation of the world, and is blotted out at a certain point, or if it was added at some point in the process of God the Father drawing a soul to the LORD Jesus Christ by His Holy Spirit. The fact is we are told the names are there, those not there are cast away, and that we do not wish to do anything that makes God blot us out from that book.

Revelation 3
5 He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.
If we see that one specific way to NOT be blotted out is to overcome (be reminded that these are the words of the glorified LORD Jesus Christ,) we should be about making sure we overcome on His behalf. We should NOT succumb to every whim, in order to satisfy our lusts, or to exalt our opinion over God's word, or simply fail to be watchful till His coming. We should put our efforts into seeking to glorify the LORD Jesus Christ in all the ways He prescribed. We should seek the Holy Spirit of God to direct us that way.

Hebrews 6
4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,
5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,
6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.
7 For the earth which drinketh in the rain that cometh oft upon it, and bringeth forth herbs meet for them by whom it is dressed, receiveth blessing from God:
8 But that which beareth thorns and briers is rejected, and is nigh unto cursing; whose end is to be burned.

Hebrews 10
30 For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people.
31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.
Some consider these difficult scriptures, because they challenge the conventional wisdom on other scriptures or doctrines. If we do not include an understanding of the words of our LORD Jesus Christ, and those of His Apostles, we are on dangerous ground, not considering the whole testimony of God in defining our doctrines.

The problem with being locked into a doctrinal mindset, regardless of the preference for one versus another, is that we may tend to ignore other scripture that shows us differently, or describes a unique situation. In other threads on this forum, I had asked a number of people a simple question when they espoused a certain verse to support their preferred doctrine. Have not yet gotten an answer from ANYONE here on that simple question.

None of us should try to wrap-up God into 5 points of a doctrine, or into just ONE verse of scripture! Have been around too many people who do these things. They have their list of doctrines that are short enough to satisfy the human intellect, or they answer every scriptural challenge with, "... but John 3:16 says..."

Upvote 0

skypair

Mar 7, 2013
Texas
✟468.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
According to the bible one's name can be "blotted" out of the book of life.

which means the name was once in their but now gone.

Which means one could lose his salvation.

Am I understanding this scripture correctly?

Thoughts on Revelation 3:5
The answer is pretty simple — when you are born, your name is written in the book of life. It is written there because you were born "just" before God on account of innocence .. you had not sinned and died yet. Your name is blotted out after you die if you have not been justified before God in the name of Jesus Christ.

Did that mean you lost your salvation that you once had? No. If a child dies just according to innocent, he/she will be resurrected with the just (OT saints) into Christ's Millennial Kingdom and be given a chance, when they grow up, to receive Christ as Savior and Lord.

As to Rev 3:5 — what is it that "overcometh the world?" Faith, right? Overcoming, therefore, starts in the heart that desires to do God's will. More to your point, probably, is Rev 2:26 — "overcometh and keeps My works to the end," right? But works are never unto salvation — they are always unto reward. It is the same here .. "to him I will give power over the nations."

skypair

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

Thoughts on Revelation 3:5

The one who conquers will be clothed thus in white garments, and I will never blot his name out of the book of life. I will confess his name before my Father and before his angels.

It says He will never blot his name out. The righteous are secure.

Upvote 0

walkinginthelightnow

Jan 10, 2014
✟15,326.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If we see that one specific way to NOT be blotted out is to overcome (be reminded that these are the words of the glorified LORD Jesus Christ,) we should be about making sure we overcome on His behalf.

What does it mean to overcome?

What does it mean to NOT overcome?

Jesus overcame? We follow Christ and hold faith to death..as Paul said, "I have kept the faith"

Does overcoming mean to continue in faith to death..?
opinions

Upvote 0

JLR1300

Dec 16, 2012
Oklahoma
✟8,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The answer to this is 1st John 5:4 "for whatever is born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world-our faith."

If you are born of God you will have faith and if you have faith you will overcome the world. Everyone born of God overcomes the world. Therefore when Jesus promises that whoever overcomes the world will not be blotted out of the book of life He is simply assuring all who are born of God that they cannot lose their salvation.

That is all the passage teaches. There is a certain amount of poetic language involved so don't try to see it as a literal book. That is just a manner of speaking that symbolizes that in God's mind some are saved and others are not and we don't have to worry about those who have been born again losing their salvation. Do you think that God's memory is so bad that he literally has to have a book with names in it so as not to forget who should get into heaven....kinda like Santa Clause's list of naughty and nice children? There is not literal writing in and blotting out anything from a literal book.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sovereign Grace

Certified Flunky
Jul 5, 2014
Right here, right now
✟43,136.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The answer is pretty simple — when you are born, your name is written in the book of life. It is written there because you were born "just" before God on account of innocence .. you had not sinned and died yet. Your name is blotted out after you die if you have not been justified before God in the name of Jesus Christ.

Did that mean you lost your salvation that you once had? No. If a child dies just according to innocent, he/she will be resurrected with the just (OT saints) into Christ's Millennial Kingdom and be given a chance, when they grow up, to receive Christ as Savior and Lord.

As to Rev 3:5 — what is it that "overcometh the world?" Faith, right? Overcoming, therefore, starts in the heart that desires to do God's will. More to your point, probably, is Rev 2:26 — "overcometh and keeps My works to the end," right? But works are never unto salvation — they are always unto reward. It is the same here .. "to him I will give power over the nations."

skypair

In your view, everyone's name is written, then blotted out. Then those who believe are written in the Book of Life again. God's got a lot of jotting down to do.

PLEASE.....come back off the ledge....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

skypair

Mar 7, 2013
Texas
✟468.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
In your view, everyone's name is written, then blotted out. Then those who believe are written in the Book of Life again. God's got a lot of jotting down to do.
Ha-ha! It doesn't get blotted out until you die without Christ. No, there's not a lot of blotting and rewriting to do.

skypair

Upvote 0

ThisBrotherOfHis

Dec 17, 2013
On the cusp of the Border War
✟2,181.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Nope. One cannot lose their salvation. Revelation 3:5 does not say anyone's name will be erased from the Book of Life. It affirms the eternal security of the believer. There are seven references to the Book in Revelation. One will settle the question.
Revelation 17, NASB
8 "The beast that you saw was, and is not, and is about to come up out of the abyss and go to destruction. And those who dwell on the earth, whose name has not been written in the book of life from the foundation of the world, will wonder when they see the beast, that he was and is not and will come.
The verse clarifies when the names of the redeemed are written in the book of life: The names of those who approve of the Antichrist are not found in the book of life, and the names that are in the book of life were written there before the world was created. Thus, Revelation 17:8 teaches both eternal security and election. Those names that appear n the book of life are those who belong to God, those who have attained eternal life. They cannot be removed.

Upvote 0