Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't expect a flurry of responses here based on my prior thread, but hey, WHAT THE HECK!

Post your favorite footnote....Here's one I read recently that was awesome imho:

Mark 10:46-52

The Fathers give a spiritual interpretation to this miracle as well. Jericho was a low-lying city associated with sin. Here is symbolizes fallen humanity. Christ passing through Jericho is an image of His incarnation. The Lord restoring sight to Bartimaeus parallels His restoring humanity to glory. Having been made whole by Christ, human nature can now follow Christ on the road to the Kingdom symbolized by our Lord's subsequent entrance into Jerusalem.

Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Due to the overwhelming amount of replies, it has been hard to get a word in edgewise, but I'm going to try here! (;):p^_^^_^^_^)

Mark 15:40-41--regarding the women who were waiting through the Crucifixion, mourning for the Lord and agonizing over His suffering...

The OSB says:
The faithfulness of the women shows that in Christ, divine order is being restored to the fallen world. Whereas Eve was created to complete Adam, but instead led him to sin, now the women disciples remain faithful while the men flee and hide. It is the women who bring the message of the Resurrection to the men, thus restoring that which had been broken through sin.

This really blew my mind....something I thought was just some women watching Christ who loved Him had SOOO much more to it. That's why I need the Fathers!

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟566,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Here's a good one:

Matthew 24:27 In what manner will Christ come back? The event will be unmistakable to the whole world. If there is any question or doubt, that alone is evidence that He has not returned. As Christ's return will shine from the east, so Orthodox Christians whenever possible worship facing eastward in symbolic hope and anticipation of His second and glorious coming.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I don't expect a flurry of responses here based on my prior thread, but hey, WHAT THE HECK!

Post your favorite footnote....Here's one I read recently that was awesome imho:

Mark 10:46-52

The Fathers give a spiritual interpretation to this miracle as well. Jericho was a low-lying city associated with sin. Here is symbolizes fallen humanity. Christ passing through Jericho is an image of His incarnation. The Lord restoring sight to Bartimaeus parallels His restoring humanity to glory. Having been made whole by Christ, human nature can now follow Christ on the road to the Kingdom symbolized by our Lord's subsequent entrance into Jerusalem.

haha, in your earlier thread I posted one that blew my mind from the death of Moses. there are a pretty good amount of sweet footnotes. I'll have to keep an eye open for any more that open up me noggin.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,180,387.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Unfortunately I have just discovered something i found very disturbing while reading Isaiah in the OSB.

Read Isaiah 22:15 till the end of the chapter and see if you notice something is missing. Gurney, I'm confident you will spot it immediately.

To me it looks like a deliberate omission, and my discovery is causing me to lose confidence in the people behind its production. I hope I will not be disappointed similarly by the EOB when it becomes available.

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0