• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

You have a right to chemical cohesion, a sane expectation is all you need

Gottservant

God loves your words, may men love them also
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
Hi there,

So I just want to lay out what I have finally arrived at after close to fourteen years in the treatment system:

1. You have a right to chemical cohesion

This means, you have a right not to be given too much medication. You have a right, to be given appropriate medication. You have a right to stop medication if you start to lose control of your chemical cohesion, because of the medication. These are fundamental rights of anyone in treatment. Chemical cohesion is meaningful, because it is the basis for the conscious definition of thought - if not consciousness itself (which is possible). To lose chemical cohesion, is to be robbed of continuity that makes life meaningful - so chemical cohesion is to be preserved at all costs.

2. A sane expectation is all you need

This means, a psychiatrist does not have the right to judge you - not for your thoughts, not for your delusions, not for your struggle, not for the beliefs you adopt in struggling. Whatever you come up with, dealing with your madness, is your decision - as long as you can demonstrate that it has some sort of sane expectation behind it, you should be allowed to develop your own thoughts in your own way. For example, I have been accused of having tangential thoughts, now, on the whole I can explain my reasoning for every single tangential thought I have, so in reality, there is nothing wrong with these tangents - the fact is, my tangential thoughts constitute a valid variation of intelligence that is quite intelligent according to its own rules, not anyone else's, just its own (rules). You have a right to have the same, as long as your expectation is not that people should immediately be able to understand you (when they can't - let the reader take note).

If there is anything else, it is that you have a right to stick to these two things, until the psychiatrist recognizes that that is all you are interested in. Mind games, tricks of good cop bad cop psychology and mumbo jumbo whether scientific or not are all rubbish, if they don't help the patient maintain a focus on these two things primarily. You need a sane expectation, that means focus and you need chemical cohesion, that means take the necessary meds, everything else is rubbish. Psychiatrists can't think for you and for themselves, so it makes sense that they stick to these two principles as well.

There are ways to maintain a sane expectation and chemical cohesion around that expectation, like meditation, but you will undoubtedly work them out in your own time. No one should expect you to have it all worked out straight away, for example, by implying that you have a permanent life long condition, that is already in its lethal stages, that is just a threat. It has nothing to do with chemical cohesion or the right to a sane expectation - they do not even define momentarily how you are supposed to respond to such a suggestion, so they clearly do not mean what it should mean by it.

I hope this has been of some help to you.:liturgy:

Gottservant

God loves your words, may men love them also
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
I actually don't have the right not to take meds, because I'm under out patient commitment. I've gone off my meds too many times and now I have to get a shot.

Great, but that is against your rights, if it is damaging your overall chemical cohesion.

You should not lose hope in developing the necessary chemical cohesion to have a tolerable or non-existent dose, if you are able to maintain a sane expectation about what that means.

Upvote 0

Jacob Jilg

Feb 19, 2015
Nebraska
✟8,016.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
It's not just damaging to my cohesion or whatever, but it's also damning to my overall wellness. My mental illness used to give me a hummingbird like energy that made it fun to constantly work out. I'm a potato on this shot. The meds already have weight gain as a side effect, but there is even more weight gain caused by the energy killing side effect. The damage to my physical health makes my mental health suffer too, depression and what not.

Upvote 0