May 28, 2015
Los Angeles
Visit site
✟12,294.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
There is a Facebook page titled "Jesus Christ is KING," and they posted a video today (can't find it on YouTube to share here) titled "You cannot serve God & money."

This video throws down the challenge:

What if you were paid $100 cash for every time you shared the Gospel? How often would you do it, then?

Had me like :flushed:.

kittysbecute

Pokémon Master
Jun 3, 2007
Somewhere over the rainbow, where skies are blue
Visit site
✟159,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I wouldn't accept the money.
That essentially makes someone a sales person for the gospel. Trying to make a profit from it.
Authenticity is important to me.

Upvote 0

Lavendar Frog

Life Is Easy When You're Purple
Jul 21, 2015
✟1,352.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There is a Facebook page titled "Jesus Christ is KING," and they posted a video today (can't find it on YouTube to share here) titled "You cannot serve God & money."

What if you were paid $100 cash for every time you shared the Gospel? How often would you do it, then?

Imagine the bounty Christian forums would make. Or those Christians that join atheist forums in the hopes of getting through. Or other forums as well.

For my part, I'd save the cash and open a food pantry that would have a kitchen and eventually a food truck. This so that we could commit to a 'meals on wheels' type service for the poor and the homeless.
While the food pantry would serve as it is intended. A warehouse of hope to nourish and sustain the poor in the community.

Here's an idea.
What if every time you saw a homeless person in your area you offered to share the gospel with them and $10.00? Or if you think that money would go to alcohol instead of food, how about instead of the money a bag of food? Something they could keep with them as dry goods but would be easily accessible as nourishment?
Would you do it?

I was standing in line to check out a book at the local public library the other week. A homeless guy came in and took two items out of the huge can that was situated inside the library doors accepting food for the poor. (That's how the sign on it read).
The security guard lady there came to the desk right beside me and told the librarian. And said they should call the cops!
I look up and this poor homeless guy, who looked like a mound of walking dirt he was so down, brought back the two items he'd taken and apologized.
It was food for the poor! And somehow it was against the rules for that poor starving man to hope to eat from that can that wasn't a garbage can where they often scavenge.
I didn't have a dime on me nor in the car so I could do nothing for him.

If someone here had seen that and had cash on them what would they have done?

Reactions: MiniEmu
Upvote 0

Tom Mix

May 31, 2015
Earth, for now.
✟11,536.00
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Preachers do get paid for sharing the knowledge of Jesus. I believe the Bible states that somebody working for the Lord all day is worthy of his pay or something like that.

If they were paid $100 for each person they help convert to become a Christian I bet they would understand how hard it is to make $100. You can tell 100 people about God but that does not mean they will accept.

Last edited:
Reactions: Messy
Upvote 0

Saucy

King of CF
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟837,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Apparently I'm the only one who felt convicted by the challenge lol.
I felt totally convicted by it. The idea that I would suddenly 'do more' for the gospel because money was involved made me ashamed of myself. I could be doing more.

Upvote 0

Hawthorne

CF Singles High Council
Sep 1, 2005
Going to and fro and up and down in the earth.
✟44,826.00
Faith
Marital Status
Private
I was convicted at first read, but not about the money aspect. If such an offer in existence, I'm confident I wouldn't try it. It was my startling realisation (which I often experience) of how little I do to further the Kingdom of God. None of us do enough, and even if we give our lives, we've not given enough, but all we could.

Our God is a consuming fire, and our lives will be tested on the day of judgement to see what was built on our foundation, whether it lasted or whether it was built of stubble. Reaching someone with the gospel is like handing them a hundred dollars. Why don't we view it like this? We've got the best news in history, and we keep it under the bushel.

I'm reminded of Jim Elliot's oft-quoted words: He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose.

Upvote 0

KitKatMatt

stupid bleeding heart feminist liberal
May 2, 2013
✟29,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I'd do it, and often.

Why? Because I'm poor, and my family is poor, and my friends are poor. I'd love it if I could make enough money to help all of us be able to live comfortably and safely. Some of my friends are stuck in a bad place with insurance, where they don't qualify for subsidies and insurance provided by their employers are too expensive. They don't go to doctors when they are sick because they don't have enough to pay the doctor, and they go to work sick because they can't afford to miss a day's pay.

If I could get $100 each time I spread the gospel, I'd be doing it all the time to help the people I know who are struggling.

Money in itself is not a bad thing. In this society, we need it in order to even survive. Heck yeah I'd jump at the chance to make as much as possible so I wouldn't be wracked with worry and anxiety about not having enough cash to pay for my medication that I depend on to be able to function, or to help someone pay rent, or to be able to let a friend take sick days when they need to.

Reactions: EazyMack
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Messy

Jan 30, 2011
Holland
✟21,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was convicted at first read, but not about the money aspect. If such an offer in existence, I'm confident I wouldn't try it. It was my startling realisation (which I often experience) of how little I do to further the Kingdom of God. None of us do enough, and even if we give our lives, we've not given enough, but all we could.

Our God is a consuming fire, and our lives will be tested on the day of judgement to see what was built on our foundation, whether it lasted or whether it was built of stubble. Reaching someone with the gospel is like handing them a hundred dollars. Why don't we view it like this? We've got the best news in history, and we keep it under the bushel.

I'm reminded of Jim Elliot's oft-quoted words: He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose.
Yes, me too, that money part only made me think eeww that's what some charlatans do.
Lately I get convicted about praying more. I can't ever attend a prayer service because I have to take care of the kids then and having to do it alone is just harder. Today I asked if I can attend with Skype. Without prayer it's no use telling people the gospel anyway. I used to pray for hours for souls every day. I lately drank lukewarm tea and I thought: Why would God spit that out? And I gave the answer myself because at the same time I spat it out. It was disgusting. I really need to be fired up again. I did start again but it's not what it was.

Reactions: Hawthorne
Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private

Let's face it. We can probably all think of people that are essentially under those circumstances and I can't think of people that need Christ more.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

sundewgrower

Site Supporter
Nov 6, 2014
somewhere
✟110,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
Money in itself is not a bad thing. In this society, we need it in order to even survive. Heck yeah I'd jump at the chance to make as much as possible so I wouldn't be wracked with worry and anxiety about not having enough cash to pay for my medication that I depend on to be able to function, or to help someone pay rent, or to be able to let a friend take sick days when they need to.
I see money as a tool, and not an evil if it's viewed/used correctly.
Personally, I manage what I have well, and see that if God blesses me with more then I'll use it wisely which means not burning it on crap I don't need.
I might be in the spot to do better than most my age and am saving up to start my life in Texas.
If God continues to push me into that direction of good business then I'm hoping to go on mission trips and maybe if business does beyond excellent be able to fund things after I see them in person.

Upvote 0

white dove

(she's a) maniac
Jan 23, 2004
Out there, livin'
✟49,357.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private

Wowwwww... Yeah, convicted. Honestly, I would do it significantly more than I do now. I don't really think about sharing the gospel much anymore. I don't have as many deep intellectual, spiritual discussions too much. Not with Nonbelievers anyway. Sad. But true.

Upvote 0

white dove

(she's a) maniac
Jan 23, 2004
Out there, livin'
✟49,357.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Imagine the bounty Christian forums would make. Or those Christians that join atheist forums in the hopes of getting through. Or other forums as well.

For my part, I'd save the cash and open a food pantry that would have a kitchen and eventually a food truck. This so that we could commit to a 'meals on wheels' type service for the poor and the homeless.
While the food pantry would serve as it is intended. A warehouse of hope to nourish and sustain the poor in the community.

Here's an idea.
What if every time you saw a homeless person in your area you offered to share the gospel with them and $10.00? Or if you think that money would go to alcohol instead of food, how about instead of the money a bag of food? Something they could keep with them as dry goods but would be easily accessible as nourishment?
Would you do it?

I was standing in line to check out a book at the local public library the other week. A homeless guy came in and took two items out of the huge can that was situated inside the library doors accepting food for the poor. (That's how the sign on it read).
The security guard lady there came to the desk right beside me and told the librarian. And said they should call the cops!
I look up and this poor homeless guy, who looked like a mound of walking dirt he was so down, brought back the two items he'd taken and apologized.
It was food for the poor! And somehow it was against the rules for that poor starving man to hope to eat from that can that wasn't a garbage can where they often scavenge.
I didn't have a dime on me nor in the car so I could do nothing for him.

If someone here had seen that and had cash on them what would they have done?
I don't give cash to homeless people. But I would have taken the cans in my hand and given them back to him. They're meant for him and I would have said that as quietly as possible to the ladies having a hard time with it. That's just so rude. So many homeless people frequent the libraries, it shouldn't be shocking to them.

Upvote 0

Lavendar Frog

Life Is Easy When You're Purple
Jul 21, 2015
✟1,352.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Unfortunately, the guard that started this whole thing is not considerate enough to have appreciated that. Charity begins in the heart.

She once refused homeless men to sit on the benches arrayed around the courtyard of this particular library. City property at that.
When she told them she'd call the cops unless they departed, apparently unaware the library allows them to enter and get out of the elements in summer or winter, I mentioned that being this was city property they were permitted to sit on those benches.
No, she said, this is library property.
I guess there isn't a test for being a security guard at the city public library.

Upvote 0