✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
lol,... I just thought of this...
" Jesus answered them, Have not I chosen you twelve, and one of you is a devil?"
More than one, actually, at the time.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Wasn't it Innocent III who made the claim that the secular rulers are subject to the Pope? What about that time when there were like 3 popes? Which one of those were God's chosen Vicar?
That was a declaration of something that had been so for a very long time. Remember Charlemagne? Constantine?
Which one? The one the Holy Spirit chose, obviously. There were never three popes. One pope and two anti-popes, sure.

Upvote 0

ChristsSoldier115

Mabaho na Kuya
Jul 30, 2013
The greatest state in the Union: Ohio
✟26,502.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
That was a declaration of something that had been so for a very long time. Remember Charlemagne? Constantine?
Which one? The one the Holy Spirit chose, obviously. There were never three popes. One pope and two anti-popes, sure.
I take it it was the one that won the seat?

Upvote 0

laternonjuror

May 20, 2015
✟15,306.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
I take it it was the one that won the seat?

The most ridiculous thing about the whole business of three popes, was that nations decided which of the three, Shep, Larry or Moe they would follow, usually, I should imagine on the political outlook of the monarch. How-and-away the Catholic World ended up under the interdict, as each claimant anathematised the supporters of his opponents.

Reactions: Rick Otto
Upvote 0

ChristsSoldier115

Mabaho na Kuya
Jul 30, 2013
The greatest state in the Union: Ohio
✟26,502.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
But what does any of that have to do with the Catholic Church being the Church Christ founded, which he proclaimed Peter the head of?

The point is that it isn't the ONLY church founded by an apostle. :) Nor is it the "supreme" church. I think just about every EO can agree with me a little bit on that one.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟362,418.00
Faith
Non-Denom
The point is that it isn't the ONLY church founded by an apostle. :) Nor is it the "supreme" church. I think just about every EO can agree with me a little bit on that one.

I would even go so far as to say just about every non-Catholic Christian would agree with you on this one.

Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟271,879.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I would even go so far as to say just about every non-Catholic Christian would agree with you on this one.

So if every non Catholic Christian agrees with this, then why not join the Orthodox Church.

Yo're admitting that your a splinter group off the incorrect Church....we're does that leave you...lol

Reactions: Root of Jesse
Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟362,418.00
Faith
Non-Denom
So if every non Catholic Christian agrees with this, then why not join the Orthodox Church.

Yo're admitting that your a splinter group off the incorrect Church....we're does that leave you...lol

Hardly. Just because we have one thing in common (and, in fact, I have far more than one thing in common with the Catholic church, as well as your own) hardly means that I should join your denomination, or theirs, or any other denomination which shares one or more of my beliefs.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I appreciate you making obvious what it is you value most.

Upvote 0

laternonjuror

May 20, 2015
✟15,306.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
But what does any of that have to do with the Catholic Church being the Church Christ founded, which he proclaimed Peter the head of?
I would agree with you, how-and-ever, the question remains, did he? You have provided no satisfactory proof! Smooth or slick answers are not proof! They're not even interesting!

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I would agree with you, how-and-ever, the question remains, did he? You have provided no satisfactory proof! Smooth or slick answers are not proof! They're not even interesting!
I have. Matthew 16:18-20

Upvote 0

laternonjuror

May 20, 2015
✟15,306.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
I have. Matthew 16:18-20

Maldonatus a jesuit Scholar said," There are amongst ancient authors some who interpret ,' on this rock,' that is ,'on this faith,' or,' on this confession of faith in which thou hast called Me the Son of the living God!' He mentions S.Hilary and Gregory Nyssen and John Chrysostom as well as Cyril of Alexandra. S.Augustine goes further on and interprets ,'on this rock,' as on,' Myself Christ', because Christ was the Rock.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Maldonatus a jesuit Scholar said," There are amongst ancient authors some who interpret ,' on this rock,' that is ,'on this faith,' or,' on this confession of faith in which thou hast called Me the Son of the living God!' He mentions S.Hilary and Gregory Nyssen and John Chrysostom as well as Cyril of Alexandra. S.Augustine goes further on and interprets ,'on this rock,' as on,' Myself Christ', because Christ was the Rock.
That does not discount the other interpretation. We believe it's both.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Well, THAT makes no sense.

Just because the EO are right about this doesn't make them unique. EVERY church except your own agrees on this point. Using the normal logic that Roman Catholics ordinarily use in such a situation, this 'proves' that the RCC must be wrong.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The Church was not founded by an apostle. It was founded by Christ. I think every Christian understands that. He put Peter in charge after His resurrection.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Really? Luther and Henry VIII, etc, etc, etc. were apostles?
The issue was about "founded," was it not? I won't attempt to speak in too much detail for the Lutherans, but most of them have bishops in Apostolic Succession, as do the Anglicans. So, yes, both can trace their churches back to an Apostle.

Of course it makes no sense to even bring Henry VIII into this since he didn't found any church. The church in England was already almost 1500 years old by his day.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.