You are god's...? Psalms 82:6, Isiah 41:23, John 10:34...?

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟952,793.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Psalms 82:6, Isaiah 41:23, John 10:34...

How are we "god's"...? Are we like angels...? Is that what it means...? Is it referring to our spirit(s) in us, that exist and walk in "that other realm" or reality, just on the other side and that is connected to this one...?

How our actions, choices, decisions, or in-actions, or thoughts or words or deeds affect what is not only here, but there as well...

Does it work both ways...? If we can and do affect things there, can't they who are there, also affect things here as well...? Or, do they have to work through us to do so, and in this way we are, or can be like "god's" or angels, because of a, or the, Spirit within us...?

Comments...?

God Bless!

Last edited:

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Psalms 82:6, Isiah 41:23, John 10:34...

How are we "god's"...? Are we like angels...? Is that what it means...? Is it referring to our spirit(s) in us, that exist and walk in "that other realm" or reality, just on the other side and that is connected to this one...?

How our actions, choices, decisions, or in-actions, or thoughts or words or deeds affect what is not only here, but there as well...

Does it work both ways...? If we can and do affect things there, can't they who are there, also affect things here as well...? Or, do they have to work through us to do so, and in this way we are, or can be like "god's" or angels, because of a, or the, Spirit within us...?

Comments...?

God Bless!

The John passage, He called them gods, to whom the Word of God came. Came, in the sense of, to be. I've always understood this to be a statement of mind; in mind. meaning, the Word renews the mind of the reader, causing the mind to, reflect the mind of God, the, understanding of God, as opposed to men.

You take a passage like Isaiah 55:8-9 where God is contrasting His thoughts with the thoughts of men, and this elevation through the revelation of the Word: Ephesians 2:6 bringing us to: 1 Corinthians 2:16. I believe this "one mind" is what is reflected in "gods" in that we become, through extension, the revelation of the same mind. So Jesus would say "I am the light of the world": John 8:12 and also "You are the light of the world": Matthew 5:14 which light, gives understanding and the knowledge of God, thereby transforming those, to whom the Word of God, is "generated", to be called "theoi" "gods" after the mind of Christ.

As for the affecting of things, that certainly seems to be the case in my experience. I'm not sure of the "spiritual physics" of it all; but every thought I'm sure is a cause, even the act of speaking words is an act of transformation. Because, introducing information by necessity causes transformation. Meaning, the act of introducing information into any stream or set causes transformation of the stream or set itself. The writer stresses this at James 3:6; the effect the thoughts have through the words; which words of course, are manifestation of the thoughts themselves.

It's a deep subject, I suppose; I've not complete understanding of the depth of it. What do you think?

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟952,793.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I will say this, considering and thinking over the questions you ask makes my mind feel like it's been in the gym all day. This is a compliment.
Oh, why, thank you... Yours as well, for me, and that is a good thing too...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Psalms 82:6, Isiah 41:23, John 10:34...

How are we "god's"...? Are we like angels...? Is that what it means...?...

I don’t think it means us. I believe it means the beings that are meant in the scripture, those who got the words in:

God presides in the great assembly. He judges among the gods… …I said, "You are gods, All of you are sons of the Most High. Nevertheless you shall die like men, And fall like one of the rulers."
Psalms 82:1,6-7

That is not about all people, but about those who were in that great assembly.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟952,793.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I don’t think it means us. I believe it means the beings that are meant in the scripture, those who got the words in:

God presides in the great assembly. He judges among the gods… …I said, "You are gods, All of you are sons of the Most High. Nevertheless you shall die like men, And fall like one of the rulers."
Psalms 82:1,6-7

That is not about all people, but about those who were in that great assembly.
Do spirits of angels, that are called gods reside or have to reside in and work through us...? How can eternal beings "die like men" (do)...? Or "Fall like men" (do, or have) (and become like beasts, or animals)...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟154,103.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Do spirits of angels, that are called gods reside or have to reside in and work through us...? How can eternal beings "die like men" (do)...? Or "Fall like men" (do, or have) (and become like beasts, or animals)...?

God Bless!
The statement "you are gods" were spoken to the people of Israel, the people of God, when they met in "the great assembly" in Jerusalem at the temple to worship, this is what Psalm 82 is about. Just as Moses was "like a god" to the people, because He brought them the word of God, the people of the "great assembly" were like gods to the rest of the world, because they had the oracles of God ("to whom the word of God came"). But because they were habitual sinners, God pronounced a death sentence on them.

Therefore, they were not being called gods literally, but rather figuratively. Jesus was the only human who was both human and God literally. We are gods figuratively (or "like gods") since we have the word of God we should be speaking to the world. Mat. 5: "if you are persecuted, rejoice, for they so persecuted the prophets who were before you." We are not gods literally, since we do not have any divine attributes. Peter promised we could "partake of divine nature," meaning we draw from it, but are not a source of it. God is the only source of divine nature.
TD:)

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟952,793.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
The statement "you are gods" were spoken to the people of Israel, the people of God, when they met in "the great assembly" in Jerusalem at the temple to worship, this is what Psalm 82 is about. Just as Moses was "like a god" to the people, because He brought them the word of God, the people of the "great assembly" were like gods to the rest of the world, because they had the oracles of God ("to whom the word of God came"). But because they were habitual sinners, God pronounced a death sentence on them.

Therefore, they were not being called gods literally, but rather figuratively. Jesus was the only human who was both human and God literally. We are gods figuratively (or "like gods") since we have the word of God we should be speaking to the world. Mat. 5: "if you are persecuted, rejoice, for they so persecuted the prophets who were before you." We are not gods literally, since we do not have any divine attributes. Peter promised we could "partake of divine nature," meaning we draw from it, but are not a source of it. God is the only source of divine nature.
What about the "spirit" in us...?

G.B.

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟154,103.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
What about the "spirit" in us...?

G.B.
We draw from God. Therefore our spirit is not divine, but we draw life from God. The spirit is the permanent part of us. The physical is temporary, but the spirit is permanent, which is the unseen. 2 Cor. 4:18.

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I have no reason to believe that angels are eternal beings. Also I don’t think it is Biblical idea that angels reside in us, I don’t believe that.

But I also think it is possible that the “you are gods” is about human rulers, not about angels.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟952,793.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I have no reason to believe that angels are eternal beings. Also I don’t think it is Biblical idea that angels reside in us, I don’t believe that.

But I also think it is possible that the “you are gods” is about human rulers, not about angels.
Angels are spirits, and there's plenty in scripture about our spirit(s) in us, and it is very biblical...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟952,793.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
We draw from God. Therefore our spirit is not divine, but we draw life from God. The spirit is the permanent part of us. The physical is temporary, but the spirit is permanent, which is the unseen. 2 Cor. 4:18.
We are capable of having the Spirit of God, the Holy spirit "in us" and are supposed to have, if we are truly born again, and prior to that, angelic or demonic spirit(s) in us, or a little of both in us...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟154,103.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
We are capable of having the Spirit of God, the Holy spirit "in us" and are supposed to have, if we are truly born again, and prior to that, angelic or demonic spirit(s) in us, or a little of both in us...

God Bless!
There is a distinction between the human spirit and the Spirit of God. If we are born again, then the Spirit of God lives in us. And if the Spirit of God lives in us, then no demonic spirit can be there, since the temple of God is holy. We might be influenced by evil spirits outside of us, hear voices, feel things, etc., but are not subject to their control. God always makes a way to escape temptation, and the way is by faith in Him.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟952,793.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
There is a distinction between the human spirit and the Spirit of God. If we are born again, then the Spirit of God lives in us. And if the Spirit of God lives in us, then no demonic spirit can be there, since the temple of God is holy. We might be influenced by evil spirits outside of us, hear voices, feel things, etc., but are not subject to their control. God always makes a way to escape temptation, and the way is by faith in Him.
Very true...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

TrevorL

Aug 20, 2004
Lake Macquarie NSW
✟56,943.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Greetings Neogaia777,
Psalms 82:6, Isaiah 41:23, John 10:34...
How are we "god's"...? Are we like angels...? Is that what it means...?
I believe it is talking about the judges in Israel. They were given the title "gods" (Hebrew elohim) because they represented God when judging the people.
Exodus 21:6 (KJV): Then his master shall bring him unto the judges; he shall also bring him to the door, or unto the door post; and his master shall bore his ear through with an aul; and he shall serve him for ever.
Exodus 21:6 (NASB): then his master shall bring him to God (mg:Or the judges who acted in God’s name), then he shall bring him to the door or the doorpost. And his master shall pierce his ear with an awl; and he shall serve him permanently.

Kind regards
Trevor

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums