Jesus loves me this I know...
Jun 22, 2004
seated in heavenly places
✟8,050.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Can I come in and say a hello?

I'm an Aussie living in the States until next year and then I will be back to go through the immigration process.

My four kids live in the Hunter Valley, NSW, with my nearly 10 grandkids.

My parents live in Canberra, so when I get back next March I'll go stay with them for awhile.

So, anyways, hi to everyone!

Upvote 0

heavensprings

Jun 22, 2004
✟8,050.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Hey GodsoldierClintus... the States are fine.... I'm in the Midwest and I must say, it's not as fine as Oz! I get homesick from time to time, but I did expect that.

It's been tough getting use to a different culture. It's the same here as back home.. but different. :p

Upvote 0

Neenie1

Senior Veteran
Feb 17, 2005
✟21,306.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would wonder if they are the same as they are here lol. If you're a Christian, you're a Christian, regardless of what your personality is like, so that means that everyone has different personalities etc. etc. etc.

Although that Bible belt looks interesting and all those Baptist churches with the gospel choirs etc. Those look cool.

Upvote 0

heavensprings

Jun 22, 2004
✟8,050.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Just call me Clint! What's different about it? People, lifestyle, weather, everything?

I'm curious to ask, what are the Christians over there like?

What's different? Well, driving on the other side of the road and on the other side of the car is a biggy!! It's taken me months to get use to it.

Their food is more different than I ever thought possible. Try having a 'cookout' (BBQ), on just a grill, and having a hamburger... it's just plain mince (called ground beef here) squashed together into a patty... and that's it... nothing added. :sick: Meat tastes different.. I know an American woman who couldn't handle our beef in Australia. It has such a different taste. The bread is not as good as Aussie bread.. and that's why they don't like vegemite.. it tastes terrible on their bread. I have found one brand of Oat bread that's pretty good. They love cheese on everything and have their own 'dishes' of course.

If you go to a restaurant you'll get served your salad first before the main meal, and the main meal is called an entre. They don't use a knife and fork like Aussies and British do, and they love to watch me use them. I try not to use both when I'm out so I won't be noticed.

There are so many little differences, but at the same time, their clothes and furniture etc are like ours, and both Aussies and Americans live the same kind of lives. The houses are different though, made of materials that can stand the great yearly differences in temperature, and designed to keep the warmth in. Most houses and apartments have a huge furnace built in, much like in Canberra and cold areas, to heat the whole house.

The atmosphere does feel different, it's softer somehow, not as harsh.

The people over here are soooo friendly, which includes the christians of course. In fact, I think they're just as friendly as the Aussies. I get lots of comments on my accent and they tell me they like my accent better than their own (but I like theirs). After you've been here for awhile you don't hear the American accent anymore, it doesn't seem to stand out so much.

Anyways, I enjoy living here, I love Autumn.. or Fall, with all the beautiful coloured leaves.. and getting out to pick them up.. :eek:. Give it another two months and the snow will come. Love it!

Upvote 0

heavensprings

Jun 22, 2004
✟8,050.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I would wonder if they are the same as they are here lol. If you're a Christian, you're a Christian, regardless of what your personality is like, so that means that everyone has different personalities etc. etc. etc.

You're right there, Neenie, they are just like us. People are the same all over the world.

Although that Bible belt looks interesting and all those Baptist churches with the gospel choirs etc. Those look cool.
I haven't been to the bible belt but there are many many churches in each town. Much more than in Oz. You see church steeples everywhere, and there are more christians per capita than in Oz. When you go out to eat you will see people saying grace over meals, people talk about God openly all the time and they wear clothes stating they are christian. It seems to be easier to be a christian here than in Oz.. but that could be just my own perspective on it.

Upvote 0