visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
Is the Hebrew word "yom" in Genesis meaning a 24 hour period or a period of time like a thousand years?

“In our day, things were better.” This statement uses the word "day" and yet it isn't about a "day" of 24 hours. Is "yom" in Genesis used in that same manner? On researching this question, I have found that "yom" is translated in the NIV

1181 times as “day” (but with several different connotations of the word, some not being literal)
67 times as “time”
30 times as “today”
18 times as “forever”
10 times as “continuously”
6 times as “age”
4 times as “life”
2 times as “perpetually”

All of which doesn't make the Hebrew term "yom" any more definitive. Exodus 20:9-11 use of "yom" implies six literal days of which is the most definitive, I could find.

Reactions: 1John2:4

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Is the Hebrew word "yom" in Genesis meaning a 24 hour period or a period of time like a thousand years?

“In our day, things were better.” This statement uses the word "day" and yet it isn't about a "day" of 24 hours. Is "yom" in Genesis used in that same manner? On researching this question, I have found that "yom" is translated in the NIV

1181 times as “day” (but with several different connotations of the word, some not being literal)
67 times as “time”
30 times as “today”
18 times as “forever”
10 times as “continuously”
6 times as “age”
4 times as “life”
2 times as “perpetually”

All of which doesn't make the Hebrew term "yom" any more definitive. Exodus 20:9-11 use of "yom" implies six literal days of which is the most definitive, I could find.
Exodus 20:9-11 is all that is needed to prove the days of creation were 24 hour days.

Upvote 0

AbbaLove

Circumcism Of The Heart
May 16, 2015
✟120,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
The following verses in Genesis defines a *day as beginning at evening(darkness) followed by morning(light). One interpretation being that spiritual darkness covers the earth until His Light shines forth. These verses in Genesis have as much or more Spiritual significance than merely physical significance ... evening/darkness precedes morning/light (e.g. Isaiah 60:1-3).

Genesis 1:3-8 NKJV
3 Then God said, “Let there be light”; and there was light.
4 And God saw the light, that it was good; and God divided the light from the darkness.
5 God called the light Day(Yom), and the darkness He called Night. So the evening and the morning were the first *day(yom).
6 Then God said, “Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.”
7 Thus God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament; and it was so.
8 And God called the firmament Heaven. So the evening and the morning were the second day.

Interesting that the translation editors of the NKJV decided to Capitalize both a 12 hr "Day" and a 12 hr "Night" in verse 5, but not a 24 hr "day" in verse 5 and 8. The implication being that the beginning of Day(morning/daylight) and the beginning of Night(evening/darkness) have as much or more Spiritual significance than physical significance. His "Light"(thy light) can not be extinguished by "darkness" meaning the Spiritual Light of His Creation is not limited to just 12 hrs of daylight. Thus "Yom/yom" are open to various interpretations, both physical and Spiritual significance in the context of His Word.

"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a basket. Instead, they set it on a lampstand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven. Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them, but to fulfill them." (Matthew 5:14-17)

2 Corinthians 4:18
So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen(by Faith), since what is seen is temporary(for a time), but what is unseen is eternal.

Isaiah 60:1-3 KJV
1 Arise, shine; for thy light is come, and the glory of the LORD is risen upon thee.
2 For, behold, the darkness shall cover the earth, and gross darkness the people: but the LORD shall arise upon thee, and his glory shall be seen upon thee.
3 And the Gentiles shall come to thy light, and kings to the brightness of thy rising.

Last edited:
Upvote 0