Visit site
✟185,132.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
We already have African archbishops saying that African Catholics much prefer the TLM and the solemn worship of God and maintaining the Faith of Our Fathers--for which I might add, countless souls were tortured and martyred by Protestants and other heretics--over the New Age crap that your typical Hippie McMoron tries to proclaim. Excuse Father Z and myself and every other sad sap who gives a care and wants to continue worshipping GOD and don't want to see THE MOST HOLY SACRIFICE OF THE MASS turn into A CIRCUS AND A HIPPIE FREAK SHOW and the FAITH OF OUR FATHERS turn into a suggestion.

I'll say it again. Yoga is a near occasion of sin at best, Stations of the Cross or no. You don't go to Stations of the Cross to see clowns or do exercise--even if it's as spiritually harmless as Richard Simmons' stuff. You go to Stations of the Cross to meditate on and reflect upon the Passion of our Lord Jesus Christ. You know, the guy who BECAME MAN SO THAT HE COULD TEACH US HOW TO STOP SINNING AND LOVE EACH OTHER AND TO DIE FOR OUR SINS. Doing exercises--especially those from another, completely separate spiritual belief--is disrespectful. Some guy died for YOU, DON'T YOU CARE?

All I'm going to say further is, India which has the greatest number of converts and seminarians in the East, are going to bring their culture into the Church. Get use to it!

Second, the Yoga Stations of the Cross are not done in a Church at the stations, but they're done in a gym or exercise room as always.

Adding in the prayers and meditations of the stations is all that is included in the exercise.

I understand the difficulty you have in wraping your mind around it, but it is no way near the occasion of sin as you put it.

Jim

Upvote 0

ChristoEtEcclesiae

Nov 21, 2010
✟1,727.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
All I'm going to say further is, India which has the greatest number of converts and seminarians in the East, are going to bring their culture into the Church. Get use to it!

Second, the Yoga Stations of the Cross are not done in a Church at the stations, but they're done in a gym or exercise room as always.

Adding in the prayers and meditations of the stations is all that is included in the exercise.

I understand the difficulty you have in wraping your mind around it, but it is no way near the occasion of sin as you put it.

Jim

Look back a couple posts to that picture which ComeDancing posted and tell me that Yoga is still not a near occasion of worshiping a false god.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟185,132.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Look back a couple posts to that picture which ComeDancing posted and tell me that Yoga is still not a near occasion of worshiping a false god.

The picture ComeDancing posted has nothing to do with Yoga Exercise.

Do you actually think Christians doing Yoga exercise do so in front of statutes like that, or even have those in mind?

If you do, its why your confused and posting the nonsense you've been posting.

Jim

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟185,132.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You don't have to do it in front of statues for it to be an unchristian practice! Even the Vatican is critical of Catholics practicing it.

Vatican hasn't said anything about Catholics practicing Yoga Exercise.

The Vatican addressed incorporating some aspects of Eastern Spirituality into Christianity, but also stated:

The majority of the "great religions" which have sought union with God in prayer have also pointed out ways to achieve it. Just as "the Catholic Church rejects nothing of what is true and holy in these religions,"18 neither should these ways be rejected out of hand simply because they are not Christian. On the contrary, one can take from them what is useful so long as the Christian conception of prayer, its logic and requirements are never obscured. Congregation for Doctrine of Faith

So, in other words, Yoga exercise itself, being physically good for the body, is allowed.

Your knowledge on the subject is limited and what you do have is flawed.

Jim

Upvote 0

ChristoEtEcclesiae

Nov 21, 2010
✟1,727.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Vatican hasn't said anything about Catholics practicing Yoga Exercise.

The Vatican addressed incorporating some aspects of Eastern Spirituality into Christianity, but also stated:

So, in other words, Yoga exercise itself, being physically good for the body, is allowed.

Your knowledge on the subject is limited and what you do have is flawed.

Jim

Again you take great leaps in the dark and end up only getting darker. If you even read what you had quoted you would have seen the part where it is written "on the contrary, one can take from them what is useful so long as the Christian conception of prayer, its logic and requirements are never obscured." You conveniently forget that Yoga itself is its own kind of unchristian prayer and spiritual practice, therefore defying what I just quoted.

It's unthinkable that some Catholics reject traditional Catholic practices in favor of blending in spiritual practices from other religions.

Upvote 0

SonOfTheWest

Britpack
Sep 26, 2010
United Kingdom
✟9,861.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
The picture ComeDancing posted has nothing to do with Yoga Exercise.

Do you actually think Christians doing Yoga exercise do so in front of statutes like that, or even have those in mind?

If you do, its why your confused and posting the nonsense you've been posting.

Jim

Wonderful post. The irony for me in all this is the lack of capacity to understand how the two concepts are so vastly separated. In particularly because I've had to in my personal life had to explain to a number of annoying people why A. Catholics are not "idol worshipers." and B. How said person isn't even understanding the concept of idol worship correctly.

Upvote 0

MoNiCa4316

Totus Tuus
Jun 28, 2007
✟34,687.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

Jim

Yoga is not "culture", it is Hinduism... we shouldn't be adding other religions to our faith.

In addition, who says that we need to integrate "culture" into Catholicism? the Mass is universal.. it is for God, not for people's "self expression".. it should include whatever is most fitting for worship of God, - whatever culture it is from.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟185,132.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
MoNiCa

Yoga is not "culture", it is Hinduism... we shouldn't be adding other religions to our faith.

Only if you make it so.

Yoga can be Buddhism, Christianity, Taoism.

There is a separation between Yoga exercise and spirituality that the rigid mind can not comprehend.

I do Yoga exercise, but my spirituality is Christ centered, always.

I did my 20 minute routine this morning, then after my shower, I prayer the Liturgy of the Hours, the Office of the Readings, followed by quiet mental prayer.

In fact, yesterday's Office of the Readings, from the treatise On Prayer by Tertullian, confirmed what I'm saying about prayer.

If you can't deal with this, fine, but its not up to you to tell others like myself that we are in error.

In addition, who says that we need to integrate "culture" into Catholicism?

The Church says so.

the Mass is universal.. it is for God, not for people's "self expression".. it should include whatever is most fitting for worship of God, - whatever culture it is from.

The Mass is universal, but the hymns and art in the context of the congregation is cultural.

There was a congregation in Japan who had survived 100 years after the Emperor expelled all foreigners from the nation. They had no priest, no Mass, yet they survived.

In their art work, the Baby Jesus is depicted as Japanese.

In your mindset, because Japanese culture is centered in Shintoism and Zen Buddhism, this would be sinful.

The Church teaches otherwise.

Jim

Upvote 0

MoNiCa4316

Totus Tuus
Jun 28, 2007
✟34,687.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
that's not what I meant about integrating culture, I was talking about integrating beliefs, etc.. various cultural superstitions

not artwork etc

I don't believe there is a separation between yoga and its spirituality. If that means I have a "rigid mind", so be it.. but the positions of yoga are derived from their spirituality and worship, and are meant to help bring a person to the "awakening" they talk about. When you read about this "awakening", it sounds very different from Christianity.

The are documents from the Church, bishops, exorcists, etc, that speak against yoga.. it's not something I'm just making up.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟185,132.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
MoNiCa4316

that's not what I meant about integrating culture, I was talking about integrating beliefs, etc.. various cultural superstitions

And Catholics doing Yoga exercise are not doing this.

We remain Christ centered and our faith is in Jesus Christ, no other.

I don't believe there is a separation between yoga and its spirituality.

Well, you're belief is wrong. Being you don't have the knowledge or experience to speak from, you should refrain telling those who do they are wrong.

If that means I have a "rigid mind", so be it.. but the positions of yoga are derived from their spirituality and worship, and are meant to help bring a person to the "awakening" they talk about.

No, the positions in Yoga are not derived from spirituality of Eastern Religions. They are physical exercises that people of those spirituality's practiced, but they don't necessarily incorporate the spiritual beliefs in the exercise themselves.

The spirituality of the participant in any activity, whether its Yoga or Golf, is according to the faith of that participant, not the activity itself.

When you read about this "awakening", it sounds very different from Christianity.

Really?

Awakening to Christ is part of the experiences of many people who converted to Christianity, including Catholics.

When Christ comes into your life, you die to your old self and are born anew into a life in Christ.

The are documents from the Church, bishops, exorcists, etc, that speak against yoga.. it's not something I'm just making up.

The documents speak about incorporating Yoga spirituality and other Eastern beliefs into Christianity as the New Age Movement did. Of course the New Age Movement brought in all sorts of strange beliefs such as reading crystals, astrology, etc.

Yoga has nothing to do with these.

Jim

Upvote 0

MoNiCa4316

Totus Tuus
Jun 28, 2007
✟34,687.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
the New Age document mentions yoga too.

the "awakening" I'm talking about is the "kundalini awakening". Please look it up, and you'll see it's very different from anything Christian.

Well, you're belief is wrong. Being you don't have the knowledge or experience to speak from, you should refrain telling those who do they are wrong.

so priests like Fr John Hardon, and the exorcists who spoke against yoga, - don't have knowledge or experience?

in my research, - yes yoga is linked to its spirituality, even Hindu people say this.

there are also cases where people were possessed and the demon forced their body into a yoga position.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟185,132.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
MoNiCa4316

the New Age document mentions yoga too.

But the use of Yoga spirituality incorporation with New Age belief systems, not Yoga exercise.

the "awakening" I'm talking about is the "kundalini awakening". Please look it up, and you'll see it's very different from anything Christian.

Yeah, I know what it is, and its the spiritual side of Yoga, which Catholics don't get into.

so priests like Fr John Hardon, and the exorcists who spoke against yoga, - don't have knowledge or experience?

Fr Hardon paints with a broad brush when he writes about Yoga. He includes the spirirutal into the physial exercise which isn't the case, unless its your desire.

in my research, - yes yoga is linked to its spirituality, even Hindu people say this.

Its linked to spirituality if you desire it, Hindu's say it because they do.

Not so Catholics.

there are also cases where people were possessed and the demon forced their body into a yoga position

Pulease.

Jim

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟185,132.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
JimR, if you paint a piece of dog poop gold, is it still dog poop?

You're equating Yoga Exercise that Catholics do to dog poop?

You really have no clue what you're talking about, the question you ask makes it obvious.

Jim

Upvote 0

ChristoEtEcclesiae

Nov 21, 2010
✟1,727.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
You're equating Yoga Exercise that Catholics do to dog poop?

You really have no clue what you're talking about, the question you ask makes it obvious.

Jim

You're dodging the question because you don't want to admit the answer.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟185,132.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You're dodging the question because you don't want to admit the answer.

No, I find the question some what insulting.

There is no correlation to Yoga Exercise as practiced by Catholics and the question you posted.

Jim

Upvote 0