✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yep.

And this sums up why I'm against abstract art for this kind of thing. Modern and abstract art by its very nature is incredibly subjective. That whole movement in art intended to portray a subjective experience or perception of some object or event, rather than striving to portray an objective truth. Sure, the artist and maybe a few other people will get it (and few more will pretend to), but the rest will just see a mess.

Modern church architecture suffers from the same problem. If you read some of the architectss explanations, some have good Catholic ideas intended in the work, but they're the only ones who can recognize them. The rest of us regular folks just see a spaceship or a slug or theater or a warehouse or a myriad of other things--or nothing at all--all depending on the individual and which do nothing to lift our hearts to any objective truth. Here's an example of what I mean using a still life of a bouquet of flowers. Everyone knows what the first is. In the second, its anyone's guess as to what is going on, even though its essentially the same thing:

http://www.artexpertswebsite.com/pages/artists/artists_l-z/roesen/Roesen_FloralStillLifeWith%20NestOfEggs.jpg

http://www.modernart-painting.com/i...tings_21st.-merello._some_flowers(130x81).jpg

The same can be said about Mary. Put her in clown makeup and people are going to think clowns. The same emotion can be expressed in an univocal manner using instead as is done in most Passion plays where there is no confusion. There's no need to throw in a clown-Mary.

That is why "Permissive Liberalism" is a sin.

It warps the real truth of object and purpose with what can be described as liberal "artistic license".

Synchronism knows no limits. :swoon:

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟186,756.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Impressionist art doesn't necessarily distort objective truth unless that's the goal of the artist.

The art form expressed in abstract Stations of the Cross convey the event and the feeling behind it, but does not distort the objective truth of the event.

Even conventional art is an expression from the artist and isn't necessarily objectively distorted, unless it was the artist's intention.

As it is, most Western art on the Last Supper and Crucifixion is historically inaccurate.

I guess you folks have a problem with Iconic Art of the Eastern Orthodox.

Jim

Upvote 0

Andrew Ryan

I like any king that can reign with his fist
Dec 18, 2010
Rapture
✟17,136.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Oh yes, the venerable tradition from the '80s of making the Blessed Virgin look like a clown.

passionjpg-7837bee513169491.jpg

What wrong with actually carrying things out with dignity and solemnity? Ugh. And if the intent is to do it solemnly, why the clowns?

And what's wrong with praying like a Catholic rathering than incoporating the latest physical exercise fad at best, new age practice at worst.

Do people really dislike their Catholic heritage that much?

Word. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

MoNiCa4316

Totus Tuus
Jun 28, 2007
✟34,687.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I think yoga Stations of the Cross is just...wrong. What is wrong with the traditional Stations of the Cross? For example (my favourite) the one written by St Alphonsus Liguori. :thumbsup: Stations of the Cross that is the one they do at my church and I've always loved it. WHY bring in yoga, clowns, etc??? If I were there, I'd feel that is irreverent and would not participate. (not to mention that I disagree with yoga but that's another topic).

Upvote 0

JoabAnias

Steward of proportionality- I Cor 13:1, 1 Tim 3:15
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think yoga Stations of the Cross is just...wrong. What is wrong with the traditional Stations of the Cross? For example (my favourite) the one written by St Alphonsus Liguori. :thumbsup: Stations of the Cross that is the one they do at my church and I've always loved it. WHY bring in yoga, clowns, etc??? If I were there, I'd feel that is irreverent and would not participate. (not to mention that I disagree with yoga but that's another topic).

There is no indulgence for a clown cross. ;)

Upvote 0

Andrew Ryan

I like any king that can reign with his fist
Dec 18, 2010
Rapture
✟17,136.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Honestly, I don't get yoga. All I know of yoga is that it's heavily intertwined and related with Hinduism, Eastern philosophy/spirituality and New Age crap. Even assuming you divorced the "spiritual," aspects of it, what is it? Stretching poses and breathing exercises? I honestly don't know, I have never done yoga (I'm more of weight lifting, normal exercises, swimming kind of guy) so I really don't know what you actually do in yoga session.

Even still, what does any of that have to do with the stations of the cross? Why on Earth would try to combine such an alien and possibly hostile "spiritual," practice with the stations? I don't get it and considering the subject matter in which we are dealing with I could honestly care less about "artistic expression." No, we should not be having literal clowns acting the stations of the cross. No, we should not be combining some weird, hippy dippy, Eastern yogic crap with the stations. Stick to the old stuff, there is nothing wrong with them, they are beautiful and should be respected and appreciated, stop with the nonsense.

Reactions: MoNiCa4316
Upvote 0

JoabAnias

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Honestly, I don't get yoga. All I know of yoga is that it's heavily intertwined and related with Hinduism, Eastern philosophy/spirituality and New Age crap.

It comes from Hinduism which is pagan and is borrowed by new agers and has infiltrated the synchronistic mindset of modernists to extract what good they find in it with the rational that it has health benefits when really, I think thy just like flirting with their inner heathenism.

Even assuming you divorced the "spiritual," aspects of it, what is it? Stretching poses and breathing exercises? I honestly don't know, I have never done yoga (I'm more of weight lifting, normal exercises, swimming kind of guy) so I really don't know what you actually do in yoga session.

Its superfluous to exercise. Thats the common misconception aside from the dangers of its origins that I have seen even a consecrated and ordained priest claim to have fallen pray to by such an attempt. Some people don't care if good advice came from the Pope himself, the will exert their free will however they see fit. They risk themselves and their own hides. Sometimes humility is learned by force because of our own blindness.

Even still, what does any of that have to do with the stations of the cross? Why on Earth would try to combine such an alien and possibly hostile "spiritual," practice with the stations? I don't get it and considering the subject matter in which we are dealing with I could honestly care less about "artistic expression." No, we should not be having literal clowns acting the stations of the cross. No, we should not be combining some weird, hippy dippy, Eastern yogic crap with the stations. Stick to the old stuff, there is nothing wrong with them, they are beautiful and should be respected and appreciated, stop with the nonsense.

Vat II taught that there is good in all things and that we should find those goods and hold to them. However, since then, there has been an influx of misconception about what that meant which has crossed the line and turned into modernistic synchronism, religious indifferentism and ultimately the new age. Its is basically a misguided attitude that its possible to meld together all that is good from all religions. These folks miss the essance of all those religions including, seemingly, their own.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,649,307.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Honestly, I don't get yoga. All I know of yoga is that it's heavily intertwined and related with Hinduism, Eastern philosophy/spirituality and New Age crap. Even assuming you divorced the "spiritual," aspects of it, what is it? Stretching poses and breathing exercises? I honestly don't know, I have never done yoga (I'm more of weight lifting, normal exercises, swimming kind of guy) so I really don't know what you actually do in yoga session.

Yoga practiced here as compared to India is not Yoga in the true sense. But I still believe it is not anything to be played with. If you are interested in exercise...there are about a million & one different ways to achieve the same goal physically.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SonOfTheWest

Britpack
Sep 26, 2010
United Kingdom
✟9,861.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
what fellowship has light with darkness.....

eastern pagan rituals with christianity

Ugh why do people always have to miss use the term "pagan"?

Anyway. I think yoga is about as spiritually dangerous as Tai Chi Chuan. Ie....not at all.

Upvote 0

JoabAnias

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ugh why do people always have to miss use the term "pagan"?

Anyway. I think yoga is about as spiritually dangerous as Tai Chi Chuan. Ie....not at all.

I wonder the same thing as why people missuse the term yoga when they really mean stretching exercises.

When did stretching become yoga?

Upvote 0

Winter

Jesus, let it be ok
Jan 18, 2009
New England
✟25,253.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Well I practice yoga but doing poses near the Stations of the Cross is just ... obnoxious. Same thing with the clowns. You know its our culture today. Everything has to be razzle dazzle, funny, unique, "ooh look at me, I'm SO different and creative" ... but all that does is make it obnoxious and silly.

Its like cooking. Everyone thinks their a chef on tv. Just throw this and throw that and suddenly you have a dish that makes no sense. Its silly. Like chocolate pasta and fried mayonaise balls - I'm serious!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SonOfTheWest

Britpack
Sep 26, 2010
United Kingdom
✟9,861.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
I wonder the same thing as why people missuse the term yoga when they really mean stretching exercises.

When did stretching become yoga?

When some of us are smart enough to know the difference between a culturally originated method of exercise and actually believing in the spirituality of the method. If someone else is. That's their problem.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟186,756.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Here is a good article on yoga. Is Yoga OK for Christian Catholics

Actually, the article is misleading and full of assumptions.

This isn't the first time I've seen this article and the author paints with a very wide brush.

Not all Yoga styles are the same, and most Yoga done in the USA is not traditional Yoga as in some of the more ascetic forms done in India.

Yoga is nothing more than exercise.

Call it something else Kinetic Exercise or something, and Catholics who are criticising Yoga, would approve it under another name not knowing any different. They have a mental block with any words that are used in Eastern religions.

As it is, anyone involved in aerobics or other forms of conditioning exercises at most Gyms, are doing some forms of Yoga because experts have learned the physical benefits of Yoga exercise.

Jim

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟186,756.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Well I practice yoga but doing poses near the Stations of the Cross is just ... obnoxious. Same thing with the clowns. You know its our culture today. Everything has to be razzle dazzle, funny, unique, "ooh look at me, I'm SO different and creative" ... but all that does is make it obnoxious and silly.

Its like cooking. Everyone thinks their a chef on tv. Just throw this and throw that and suddenly you have a dish that makes no sense. Its silly. Like chocolate pasta and fried mayonaise balls - I'm serious!!

From what I've researched on this subject, the Yoga Stations of the Cross are not done in a church or even at the stations of the cross.

Instead, they're done in the usual exercise room at the college campus.

What they do is, for each pose, they hold while each station of the cross is read and done, by the group leader of a video.

During each pose, the participant meditates on the suffering of Jesus and links the pain and stress of holding the pose with the sufferings of Christ.

Its akin to holding each pose through three Hail Mary's.

In either case, this is not substituted form times of prayer.

Jim

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟186,756.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
FYI, here's a link with info on Yoga Stations.

Apparently an young artist was contemplating the stations as he was doing Yoga, and ended up painting the Stations of the Cross where Jesus suffering incorporating Yoga poses.

As the participant goes through the poses, he reflects on the suffering of Christ in that station.

Stations of the Cross Catholic Prayers Commissioning Religious Paintings and Sacred Art

Its not for everyone and I can see how those who know nothing about Yoga exercise would react negatively.

Doesn't make it wrong however, and in fact, I see some spiritual benefit in it.

Jim

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,085,557.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
What is the "vernacular" for students at a "midwestern Ivy," one of the most competitive and expensive colleges in the country?

How do you lead them to experiencing God's presence and healing love in a very secular university?

I looked at their website. They had a "confession marathon" lasting from 2 p.m. to midnight. Their Masses are at 9 p.m. They have an extensive social justice ministry (in a college with as affluent a student body as Wash U's, I think that that's great.)

There wasn't really any information about the Yoga stations in their bulletin, but I imagine that the way one would meditate would be very Ignatian. Perhaps one would put him/herself into the scene as one of the characters and imagine what it would be like to have been there and seen Jesus and been unable to free him. Perhaps one would meditate on his last words.

I don't go to the stations very often during Lent. A combination of too much kneeling and knees that have seen more decades than the rosary.

After twelve years in Catholic school, an overload of Catholic guilt...I like to sometimes look at the Stations in church and think of the people who helped and comforted Jesus--Veronica, Simon of Cyrene, Dismas the good thief, Mary and John. Focusing on the goodness of mankind, and how people reached out in love to Him.

And if Jesus' crucifixion brings people to compassion, let it be inspiration from His example instead of guilt. Guilt is such a negative emotion. It focuses us on the past instead of in the present moment, when we can, perhaps, make a positive difference in the lives of our fellow parishioners, or neighbors, or people all over the world.

And so yes, I wouldn't mind experiencing the Stations in a different way...or with more silence, so that each of us could pray them from our own hearts.

Upvote 0