YES!! Phil Robertson to Return to Duck Dynasty!!

• Thread starter DiligentlySeekingGod
  • Start date

QueSeraSera

Training Wheels
Oct 7, 2013
In a good place
✟16,716.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I was under the impression that they planned all along on airing the new episodes scheduled for January . The suspension was for future filming of further episodes after that .

So if what the OP is saying is that hes been reinstated because they are going to air as scheduled season 5 that may be a wrong assumption .They never planned on not airing it .

Upvote 0

Marius27

Feb 16, 2013
✟6,009.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Democrat
In regards to the word homosexual not being in the Bible until 1946, I dont know why I am posting this link because, at times, I do not like the person behind the site, but here is the link

The word "homosexual" didn't appear in English Bibles until 1946 | Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry

Its an interesting read and below is a sample

In Each case, the Greek word used for 'homosexual' is ἀρσενοκοίτης, arsenokoites. Here is what it means according to Greek dictionaries:

ἀρσενοκοίτης arsenokoítēs; gen. arsenokoítou, masc. noun, from ársēn (730), a male, and koítē (2845), a bed. A man who lies in bed with another male, a homosexual (1 Cor. 6:9; 1 Tim. 1:10 [cf. Lev. 18:22; Rom. 1:27]). Zodhiates, S. (2000). The complete word study dictionary : New Testament (electronic ed.). Chattanooga, TN: AMG Publishers.

88.280 ἀρσενοκοίτης, ου m: a male partner in homosexual intercourse—‘homosexual.’ οὐκ οἴδατε ὅτι … οὔτε μοιχοὶ οὔτε μαλακοὶ οὔτε ἀρσενοκοῖται … βασιλείαν θεοῦ κληρονομήσουσιν ‘don’t you know that … no adulterers or homosexuals … will receive the kingdom of God’ 1 Cor 6:9–10. It is possible that ἀρσενοκοίτης in certain contexts refers to the active male partner in homosexual intercourse in contrast with μαλακόςb, the passive male partner (88.281). Louw, J. P., & Nida, E. A. (1996). Greek-English lexicon of the New Testament : Based on semantic domains (electronic ed. of the 2nd edition.). New York: United Bible Societies.

ἀρσενοκοίτης (arsenokoitēs), ου (ou), ὁ (ho): n.masc.; ≡ Str 733—LN 88.280 male homosexual, one who takes the active male role in homosexual intercourse (1Co 6:9), specifically interpreted as male homosexual paedophilia (nab footnote); possibly a more generic term in first Timothy; sodomites (rsv, nrsv, nkjv), perverts (niv, neb, reb), practicing homosexuals (nab), homosexual (njb), (1Ti 1:10+), note: translations possibly use certain specific terms to infer or allow certain theologies. Swanson, J. (1997). Dictionary of Biblical Languages with Semantic Domains : Greek (New Testament) (electronic ed.). Oak Harbor: Logos Research Systems, Inc.

ἀρσενοκοίτης, ου, ὁ an adult male who practices sexual intercourse with another adult male or a boy homosexual, sodomite, pederast Friberg, T., Friberg, B., & Miller, N. F. (2000). Vol. 4: Analytical lexicon of the Greek New Testament. Baker's Greek New Testament library. Grand Rapids, Mich.: Baker Books.

Also, here is another site, when you take ἀρσενοκοίτης and search for it, a lot of sites come up, but here is another that seems to tell what the Greek word means

ἀρσενοκοίτης is a masculine noun and according to Thayer's definition - one who lies with a male as with a female, sodomite, homosexual

But in regards to Phil's "reinstatement" - it hasnt happened. He is in Season 5 because they were tapped before all of this and if there is a season 6, that is the one he wont be in. So, for all of those that still believe he has been reinstated, please go back to my post and read the info and click the links

Thanks
CARM is not a valid resource. I know numerous conservatives who reject CARM. Arsenokoites does not refer to homosexuals. It was listed as an economic crime in all classical literature.

Upvote 0

BlunderAngel

Aug 3, 2013
✟1,289.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I wonder if anything would've been said or done had Mr Robertson been Muslim? In many Muslim countries it is punished by death.
Doubtful.
Just like the "Freedom From Religion Foundation" doesn't harass or seek to intimidate Muslims, Jews, etc... when pursuing revocation of first amendment rights and protections in America. Nor does the ACLU attack those faiths when they join forces with FFRF.

It appears to be mostly the Christian faith that is being persecuted in America.
And this is saying that in all honesty. While there are those who will claim Christians aren't really being persecuted until they're being shot, beheaded, set afire, in America.
Of course, one can not say those aren't sufferings that the FFRF would oppose! Nor would many Atheists in fact.

But still, at this point, it is the Christian faith that is under attack by the radical gay front. Thank God A&E pushed back. It just goes to show Christians that outnumber gays will fight anti-religious bullies. Finally!

We see how effective the push to have JCP cancel Ellen Degeneris' contract was. Now JCP has ad's out stating they heard "us" and they're back to the JCP that we wanted. Ellen is out of there! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

ewells36

Nov 11, 2013
Lansing, Michigan
✟15,608.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
CARM is not a valid resource. I know numerous conservatives who reject CARM. Arsenokoites does not refer to homosexuals. It was listed as an economic crime in all classical literature.

Arsenokoites - RationalWiki

Translations

Over the centuries, there has also been a range of interpretation of how best to translate "arsenokoites" into the different European languages.

The medieval Latin translation in the Vulgata Clementina was "masculorum concubitoribus," implying concubinage or pimping, not homosexuality specifically. Martin Luther's 1545 German translation employs the word "Knabenschänder" (from "Knaben", boys or young children), implying that "arsenokoites" was interpreted as pedophilia as early as the 16th century. A modern German translation speaks of "Kinder sexuell missbrauchen" ("to abuse children sexually"). The 1649 Giovanni Deodati Bible in Italian refers to "quelli che usano co' maschi". The term "maschi" can refer either to men or boys, but has a more general sense of boys, as in the traditional Italian expression "Auguri e figli maschi" (literally, "Congratulations and may you have many male children.")

Though certainly no European translator before the 20th century approved of homosexuality (least of all Martin Luther), the rendering of the word "arsenokoites" into modern European languages clearly does not imply a clear consensus on whether this specific term covers homosexuality in general. Yet the avoidance of the term "homosexual" may also have been merely to provide euphemisms for something considered "unspeakable" by many, and thus may have been a form of mere bowdlerism on the transators' part:

Danish: "Syndere imod Naturen" (sins against nature)
French (Martin, 1744): "ceux qui commettent des péchés contre nature" (those who commit sins against nature)
French (Ostervald, 1744): "les abominables" (the abominables)
French (Louis Segon, 1910): "les infâmes" (the infamous)
Irish (William O'Domhnuill, 1602): "dáoine míonadúrtha" (unnatural people)
Spanish (Sagradas Escrituras, 1569): "los homosexuales"
Spanish (Reina Valera, 1909): "los sodomitas" (sodomites, a term that in itself is open to wide interpretation)
Swedish (1917): "för dem som... onaturlig vällustsynd" (those who sin unnaturally)
English (Douay-Rheims Catholic Bible, Challoner Revision, 1749): "them who defile themselves with mankind"

The variety of translations made across time and place have helped to shape contemporary perceptions of homosexuality, and these translations were clearly products of their time, struggling against the strictures and limitations of any given language. Regardless, the original Greek word remains ambiguous.

Also - Arsenokoites - New Testament Greek Lexicon - New American Standard and arsenokoites | Christian Studies

Here is a table that shows both words and their translations throughout various translations. I couldnt post it here since the formatting was all screwed up, so I took screen shots and upped it to my imgur account. Here is the table - http://imgur.com/a/NkDBL which shows both Greek words and the various translations of the Bible they were used in and what the word means. It goes by year. Pretty interesting table, so that is why I copied it and added it to my imgur account

Also this link as well. Im not sure if I posted it already within the response, but if I have, please forgive me -http://christianstudies.wordpress.com/2011/05/14/230/

Another good link that talks about the meaning of the word in question - http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/b-greek/1998-October/002084.html

Also, from the Blue Letter Bible Site - http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?strongs=G733

While I do admit that there has always been a ton of debates on the meaning of these Greek words for ages, I do feel that the most important thing that we all should gather is that we are all sinners. No matter what sin burdens us, we all need to come to Christ and receive forgiveness, so that we can go and sin no more

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Marius27

Feb 16, 2013
✟6,009.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Democrat
Arsenokoites - RationalWiki

Translations

Over the centuries, there has also been a range of interpretation of how best to translate "arsenokoites" into the different European languages.

The medieval Latin translation in the Vulgata Clementina was "masculorum concubitoribus," implying concubinage or pimping, not homosexuality specifically. Martin Luther's 1545 German translation employs the word "Knabenschänder" (from "Knaben", boys or young children), implying that "arsenokoites" was interpreted as pedophilia as early as the 16th century. A modern German translation speaks of "Kinder sexuell missbrauchen" ("to abuse children sexually"). The 1649 Giovanni Deodati Bible in Italian refers to "quelli che usano co' maschi". The term "maschi" can refer either to men or boys, but has a more general sense of boys, as in the traditional Italian expression "Auguri e figli maschi" (literally, "Congratulations and may you have many male children.")

Though certainly no European translator before the 20th century approved of homosexuality (least of all Martin Luther), the rendering of the word "arsenokoites" into modern European languages clearly does not imply a clear consensus on whether this specific term covers homosexuality in general. Yet the avoidance of the term "homosexual" may also have been merely to provide euphemisms for something considered "unspeakable" by many, and thus may have been a form of mere bowdlerism on the transators' part:

Danish: "Syndere imod Naturen" (sins against nature)
French (Martin, 1744): "ceux qui commettent des péchés contre nature" (those who commit sins against nature)
French (Ostervald, 1744): "les abominables" (the abominables)
French (Louis Segon, 1910): "les infâmes" (the infamous)
Irish (William O'Domhnuill, 1602): "dáoine míonadúrtha" (unnatural people)
Spanish (Sagradas Escrituras, 1569): "los homosexuales"
Spanish (Reina Valera, 1909): "los sodomitas" (sodomites, a term that in itself is open to wide interpretation)
Swedish (1917): "för dem som... onaturlig vällustsynd" (those who sin unnaturally)
English (Douay-Rheims Catholic Bible, Challoner Revision, 1749): "them who defile themselves with mankind"

The variety of translations made across time and place have helped to shape contemporary perceptions of homosexuality, and these translations were clearly products of their time, struggling against the strictures and limitations of any given language. Regardless, the original Greek word remains ambiguous.

Also - Arsenokoites - New Testament Greek Lexicon - New American Standard and arsenokoites | Christian Studies
http://www.clgs.org/arsenokoités-and-malakos-meanings-and-consequences

A similar case exists in the second-century Acts of John. "John" is condemning the rich men of Ephesus:

You who delight in gold and ivory and jewels, do you see your loved (possessions) when night comes on? And you who give way to soft clothing, and then depart from life, will these things be useful in the place where you are going? And let the murderer know that the punishment he has earned awaits him in double measure after he leaves this (world). So also the poisoner, sorcerer, robber, swindler, and arsenokoités, the thief and all of this band. ...So, men of Ephesus, change your ways; for you know this also, that kings, rulers, tyrants, boasters, and warmongers shall go naked from this world and come to eternal misery and torment (section 36; Hennecke-Schneemelcher).

Here also, arsenokoités occurs in a list of sins related to economics and injustice: delighting in wealth, robbery, swindling, thievery. Note also the list of those who prosper by their power over others: kings, rulers, tyrants, boasters, warmongers. The emphasis throughout the section is on power, money, and unjust exploitation, not sex.

As was the case in the Sybilline Oracle, "John" does denounce sexual sins elsewhere in the text, and the word arsenokoités is absent (section 35).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Marius27

Feb 16, 2013
✟6,009.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Democrat
We see how effective the push to have JCP cancel Ellen Degeneris' contract was. Now JCP has ad's out stating they heard "us" and they're back to the JCP that we wanted. Ellen is out of there! :thumbsup:
Cheering because Ellen was fired just for being gay is disgusting. You should be ashamed. Not a Christian attitude at all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Godisgood12

Nov 30, 2013
✟1,558.00
Faith
Christian
Cheering because Ellen was fired just for being gay is disgusting. You should be ashamed. Not a Christian attitude at all.

All humanity is created in the image of God.

Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth.

Upvote 0

Glass*Soul

Senior Veteran
May 14, 2005
✟31,902.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

Interesting, particularly taking into consideration that the verse is part of a larger discussion on the subject of Christians bringing lawsuits against other Christians in secular courts of law.

The passage attempts to draw a contrast between the Christian community, whom Paul pictures as being on their way to judging the world and even angels in some end times scenario, with the secular courts which are peopled by those still engaging in activities that they themselves have discontinued. The context is that of justice vs. injustice. One way of being unjust is being a swindler. Another way is by using sex as a means of displaying dominance. The argument is that if people are actively doing these sorts of things it would be illogical to go to them in hopes of obtaining justice, especially if the suing parties have themselves learned to forgo these activities and presumably have a better grasp of what justice is.

Paul's conclusion is revealed early on in his reasoning. It would be better to be defrauded than to come off as such wimps in front of the secular world.

It is interesting to consider how a hullabaloo in the public eye over a perceived injustice fits in with this passage. It is also interesting to consider how holding people up to sexual ridicule fits in. Or racial. Or religious. Or the significance of pulling one verse out of the whole thing in order to condemn others but not oneself. How does that all fit in with the overarching theme of justice?

I will quote below for reference:

When any of you has a grievance against another, do you dare to take it to court before the unrighteous, instead of taking it before the saints? Do you not know that the saints will judge the world? And if the world is to be judged by you, are you incompetent to try trivial cases? Do you not know that we are to judge angels—to say nothing of ordinary matters? If you have ordinary cases, then, do you appoint as judges those who have no standing in the church? I say this to your shame. Can it be that there is no one among you wise enough to decide between one believer and another, but a believer goes to court against a believer—and before unbelievers at that?

In fact, to have lawsuits at all with one another is already a defeat for you. Why not rather be wronged? Why not rather be defrauded? But you yourselves wrong and defraud—and believers at that.

Do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived! Fornicators, idolaters, adulterers, male prostitutes, sodomites, thieves, the greedy, drunkards, revilers, robbers—none of these will inherit the kingdom of God. And this is what some of you used to be. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of our God. ~ I Cor. 6:1-11

Upvote 0

Glass*Soul

Senior Veteran
May 14, 2005
✟31,902.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Just to add to my point above, the next chapter of Corinthians goes on the establish proper sexuality as being a relationship between equal partners. What goes for one goes for the other. This offers a contrast with a relationship between young boys being sexually dominated by older men and puts 6:9 even more firmly into its proper context of just vs. unjust relationships.

Upvote 0

WanderingBloom

Real Heroes Don't Wear Capes.They Wear Dog Tags.
Nov 24, 2013
✟568.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It is excellent news if A&E did lift the suspension.

I think people should research the terrorist hate group GLAAD and see just how determined they are to assault Christians.

GLAAD

PJ Media
December 21, 2013

GLAAD says they have never gotten more angry phone calls and emails than they have since they decided to launch their attack on Phil Robertson, and escalated their speech and thought war against Christians at the same time.
But Yahoo reports that they’re not apt to learn anything. The group still wants to re-educate Phil Robertson.
After the meeting (between A&E executives and GLAAD), GLAAD issued its statement on Robertson’s comments. A&E initially released a statement from Robertson in which he said he would “never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me.” But the network declined to comment itself until Wednesday night, when it announced the suspension, which GLAAD applauded.
“We believe the next step is to use this as an opportunity for Phil to sit down with gay families in Louisiana and learn about their lives and the values they share,” the spokesman said.
The organization is also currently researching companies who use Robertson as a spokesperson.

GLAAD is still researching companies that support Robertson so as to harass, threaten, and intimidate them.

I wonder what it would take to pursue the official designation of "Hate Group" against GLAAD?
I'd hope they're at least on a terrorist watch list. When PeTA qualifies, GLAAD certainly should.

Lol the Orthodox Jewish Bible is not a Jewish book, it's published by Conservative Christians. Jews don't accept the New Testament.

Phil Robertson to Return to Duck Dynasty

Phil Robertson Will Return To 'Duck Dynasty' Episodes In January

It seems A&E has finally come to its senses and reinstated Mr. Robertson to Duck Dynasty. Smart move for A&E.

Report: Phil Robertson to appear in 'Duck Dynasty' in January

Now the death threats against this woman are so wrong. I do not condone such behavior at all. I feel sorry for her.

Upvote 0

Marius27

Feb 16, 2013
✟6,009.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Democrat
Just to add to my point above, the next chapter of Corinthians goes on the establish proper sexuality as being a relationship between equal partners. What goes for one goes for the other. This offers a contrast with a relationship between young boys being sexually dominated by older men and puts 6:9 even more firmly into its proper context of just vs. unjust relationships.

Which emphasis the glaring problem with removing those verses from their original cultural content, which Conservatives continue to do no matter how often they are told they're wrong.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟320,844.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

Would that also go for young girls being sexually dominated by older men?

Upvote 0

psalms 91

Legend
Dec 27, 2004
✟127,276.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
It is excellent news if A&E did lift the suspension.

I think people should research the terrorist hate group GLAAD and see just how determined they are to assault Christians.

GLAAD

PJ Media
December 21, 2013

GLAAD says they have never gotten more angry phone calls and emails than they have since they decided to launch their attack on Phil Robertson, and escalated their speech and thought war against Christians at the same time.
But Yahoo reports that they’re not apt to learn anything. The group still wants to re-educate Phil Robertson.
After the meeting (between A&E executives and GLAAD), GLAAD issued its statement on Robertson’s comments. A&E initially released a statement from Robertson in which he said he would “never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me.” But the network declined to comment itself until Wednesday night, when it announced the suspension, which GLAAD applauded.
“We believe the next step is to use this as an opportunity for Phil to sit down with gay families in Louisiana and learn about their lives and the values they share,” the spokesman said.
The organization is also currently researching companies who use Robertson as a spokesperson.
GLAAD is still researching companies that support Robertson so as to harass, threaten, and intimidate them.

I wonder what it would take to pursue the official designation of "Hate Group" against GLAAD?
I'd hope they're at least on a terrorist watch list. When PeTA qualifies, GLAAD certainly should.
I agree that they are a hate group against christans and should be labeled as such

Upvote 0

MrLuther

In the Lord I'll be ever thankful
Oct 2, 2013
✟16,115.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
But almost every single use of them after Paul's invention had nothing to do with sexual sins.

I notice that you have presented no reasons for making this far-reaching statement.

Paul had no idea what a homosexual was.

^_^
As a man familiar with hellenistic culture (where women were seen as breeding-machines and true love was between men), I think it's fair to say that Paul had a pretty good idea about what a homophile was.

He would have never used that word. Had he wanted to use a word referring to same-sex behavior, Greek already had 2 and he used neither one.

And your reasons for claiming this? Based on what interpretations, and those interpretations based on what, exactly?
Your style and lack of reasoning leads me to think that you don't really know what you're talking about, and just copy-paste what you find on some blog somewhere. And I have no time for people like that. Welcome to my ignore-list ;)

Upvote 0