Yes dear. Happy wife, happy life and other terms...

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I was thinking of a nice gift a bride could give to her husband, a pair of paints with a note inside, "I bought these for you for after we get married, since you will wear the pants in our relationship."

I heard an American preacher say that he preached in England once and people laughed when he said, "We all put our pants on one leg at a time." They say 'pants' for underwear and 'trousers' for pants. They say they put their trousers on one leg at a time.

Do the Brits say 'wear the pants' for marriage, or 'wear the trousers' or not have the saying at all?

I wonder if they chuckle at the American saying.

I cannot think of anyone that uses the word "trousers" anymore ^_^

This might be a gross overgeneralization, but when I look around, I see that whoever wears "the pants" boils down to two factors: 1) Intelligence, 2) Strong will

The more intelligent and/or strong-willed person in the relationship seems to take a natural lead on decision making and information processing. That is not to suggest that these people are unloving, disrespectful, or overbearing though.

Reactions: RedPonyDriver
Upvote 0

HannahT

Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟458,831.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know this isn't the purpose of this thread, but I've never understood this claim. Surely the clue is in the name; it's not called "equalism". Feminism is about equality only in the specific areas where women are currently disadvantaged - which specificity makes it not really about equality at all. I don't see many feminists fighting for the rights of fathers, or for female perpetrators of domestic violence to receive equally harsh punishments as their male counterparts, or against the stigma around male nurses / preschool teachers.

I don't use the term Feminism, because there are so many different flavors - viewpoints. When it comes up for discussion - like here - its always the worse example someone can come up with. lol then its shown as the ONLY, true form, so they can complain. I find it disingenuous to say the least.

Many of the feminists I find in the news are downright nutters anyway. So, to say I'm thrilled about the 'women's' POV - or some anyway - I find silly as well. So, I refuse to use the term at all. lol I'm a humanism type of person - if that is a word! Equalism today has its stigma's too. Humans are custom made, and come from different backgrounds, cultures, etc. We will never be 'equal' in a sense. It's just not possible.

There will always be stigmas around. Sadly. There is the stigma about how women need to know their place, and then the examples you gave for men. It turns into WHICH stigma is worse, instead of the common sense approach about how it shouldn't be a competition. Neither are realistic, and based out of fear for the most part.

I find that certain segments within the church body tend to melt feminism (in the worse terms as I mentioned above) and egalitarian beliefs together. It's a way to dismiss it, and cement the 'roles' point of view instead. How one side is selfish, and our's is the biblical way. Both sides juice up the manipulative soundbites to get their point across, and they end up both looking rather ignorant. The world can see it is fear based, but the will claim the opposite until their dying day. lol it reminds me of politics with all the mud slinging, and that is as far away from 'biblical' as you can get.

Reactions: ImaginaryDay
Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟181,424.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I cannot think of anyone that uses the word "trousers" anymore ^_^

This might be a gross overgeneralization, but when I look around, I see that whoever wears "the pants" boils down to two factors: 1) Intelligence, 2) Strong will

The more intelligent and/or strong-willed person in the relationship seems to take a natural lead on decision making and information processing. That is not to suggest that these people are unloving, disrespectful, or overbearing though.
It gets tricky because you have gifts of leadership vs. roles of leadership, or ability vs. authority.
God often endows a wife with greater abilities than her husband. She may be smarter, but a strong will can make it hard for her to respect the God-appointed head of her household. A wise husband takes this into account in his decision making. If he discerns that she is wiser than he, then her abilities will likely play a more significant role in his decision making process. But, regardless of the situation, his normal day to day headship needs to reflect the example of His Lord. According to Ephesians 5:25, the husband ought to regulate his decisions around his wife's happiness versus his own. He ought to sacrifice his own preferences to hers for her sake. This is an example of the loving leadership of our Lord. The husband is his wife's head, not because he is superior to her in any fashion, but simply because this is the order which God has established for the godly home Ephesians 5:23.

Puritan Matthew Henry put it best in his Bible commentary:
“The woman was made of a rib out of the side of Adam; not made out of his head to rule over him, nor out of his feet to be trampled upon by him, but out of his side to be equal with him, under his arm to be protected, and near his heart to be beloved.”

Upvote 0

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure why "feminism" is separated from "egalitarian" since that's what feminism is.
EGALITARIAN = EQUAL

FEMINISM = MORE THAN EQUAL

Feminism has its roots in Communism, which is essentially an attack on God, Christianity, and the family. Some research into this will prove that it is another aspect to destroying people by destroying families.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
It gets tricky because you have gifts of leadership vs. roles of leadership, or ability vs. authority.
God often endows a wife with greater abilities than her husband. She may be smarter, but a strong will can make it hard for her to respect the God-appointed head of her household. A wise husband takes this into account in his decision making. If he discerns that she is wiser than he, then her abilities will likely play a more significant role in his decision making process. But, regardless of the situation, his normal day to day headship needs to reflect the example of His Lord. According to Ephesians 5:25, the husband ought to regulate his decisions around his wife's happiness versus his own. He ought to sacrifice his own preferences to hers for her sake. This is an example of the loving leadership of our Lord. The husband is his wife's head, not because he is superior to her in any fashion, but simply because this is the order which God has established for the godly home Ephesians 5:23.

Puritan Matthew Henry put it best in his Bible commentary:
“The woman was made of a rib out of the side of Adam; not made out of his head to rule over him, nor out of his feet to be trampled upon by him, but out of his side to be equal with him, under his arm to be protected, and near his heart to be beloved.”

Such thought can lead to the man keeping the woman from reaching her full and true potential; if that's the case, it's better for them not to marry.

Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟181,424.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Such thought can lead to the man keeping the woman from reaching her full and true potential; if that's the case, it's better for them not to marry.
Not if she demonstrates her talents in a way that her husband can safely entrust the business of the household to her.
Proverbs 31:10-12,
"An excellent wife, who can find?
For her worth is far above jewels.
The heart of her husband trusts in her,
And he will have no lack of gain.
She does him good and not evil
All the days of her life."

Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟181,424.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
"business of the household" can equal paying the bills?
It equals so much more than that:
Proverbs 31:10-31,
"An excellent wife, who can find? Her worth is far above jewels.
The heart of her husband trusts in her, and he will have no lack of gain.
She does him good and not evil all the days of her life.
She looks for wool and flax
And works with her hands in delight.
She is like merchant ships: she brings her food from afar.
She rises also while it is still night and gives food to her household and portions to her maidens.
She considers a field and buys it; from her earnings she plants a vineyard.
She girds herself with strength, and makes her arms strong.
She senses that her gain is good; her lamp does not go out at night.
She stretches out her hands to the distaff, and her hands grasp the spindle.
She extends her hand to the poor, and she stretches out her hands to the needy.
She is not afraid of the snow for her household, for all her household are clothed with scarlet.
She makes coverings for herself; her clothing is fine linen and purple.
Her husband is known in the gates, when he sits among the elders of the land.
She makes linen garments and sells them, and supplies belts to the tradesmen.
Strength and dignity are her clothing, and she smiles at the future.
She opens her mouth in wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue.
She looks well to the ways of her household, and does not eat the bread of idleness.
Her children rise up and bless her; her husband also
, and he praises her, saying:
“Many daughters have done nobly, but you excel them all.”
Charm is deceitful and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the Lord, she shall be praised.
Give her the product of her hands, and let her works praise her in the gates."

Upvote 0

ImaginaryDay

We Live Here
Mar 24, 2012
Fawlty Towers
✟30,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Feminism has its roots in Communism, which is essentially an attack on God, Christianity, and the family. Some research into this will prove that it is another aspect to destroying people by destroying families.
That's a heck of a jump to make. What credible sources do you have?

Reactions: coloradoguy
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

coloradoguy

Aug 5, 2014
Denver
✟15,419.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's a heck of a jump to make.

Especially considering in his previous post he called feminism "more than equal", which would be anti-communistic.

Anyway, as far as my wife and I go we have a fairly good division of labor and household chores. I usually do most of cooking, and she does most of the cleaning, everything is else is done by the first one to get to it.

Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
EGALITARIAN = EQUAL

FEMINISM = MORE THAN EQUAL

What? This is what my "research" has come up with (as far as 'attacks on God, Christianity, and the family). This is how the early church began. I don't understand how equality can be considered "an attack on God, Christianity, and the family". It seems equality is held in high regard here. It even seems the early church lived out the definition of communism:

Acts 2:43–46
Embed

For a refresher....this is what I find as the definition of "communism":

"a political theory derived from Karl Marx, advocating class war and leading to a society in which all property is publicly owned and each person works and is paid according to their abilities and needs".

Could the problem be that this system has been taken over by dictators with their own agenda? Maybe when the system is based on love (as the church *should be*)--maybe that's when these systems "work" and flourish.

Last edited:
Reactions: RedPonyDriver
Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
As far as "feminism": it's not too unusual for people to agree with the attitudes behind this--even today(think of the Billy Graham 'rule' ):

12631397_10154519233340410_6267629779158612733_n.jpg

Upvote 0

coloradoguy

Aug 5, 2014
Denver
✟15,419.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As far as "feminism": it's not too unusual for people to agree with the attitudes behind this--even today(think of the Billy Graham 'rule' ):

12631397_10154519233340410_6267629779158612733_n.jpg

People often forget how scandalous Paul's message to husbands in Ephesians actually would have been. The idea of putting your wife's needs before yours was incredibly feminist in 1st century Rome.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Thunder Peel

You don't eat a peacock until it's cooked.
Aug 17, 2008
Missouri
✟40,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Is that why I keep getting spammed with Pottery Barn catalogs?

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The idea of putting your wife's needs before yours was incredibly feminist in 1st century Rome.
Not "feminist" at all. It was common Jewish practice.

Upvote 0

ImaginaryDay

We Live Here
Mar 24, 2012
Fawlty Towers
✟30,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Not "feminist" at all. It was common Jewish practice.
It may have been, but Roman culture was quite different on the matter. That's what made the Ephesians message to husbands so counter-cultural.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's what made the Ephesians message to husbands so counter-cultural.
Except for the fact that Paul started off preaching in the synagogue; and he was followed by Apollos who also preached to Jews. Ephesus had a LARGE Jewish component to the congregation.

Upvote 0

ImaginaryDay

We Live Here
Mar 24, 2012
Fawlty Towers
✟30,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Except for the fact that Paul started off preaching in the synagogue; and he was followed by Apollos who also preached to Jews. Ephesus had a LARGE Jewish component to the congregation.
Thank you for the bible lesson. Care to support your assertion that it was "common Jewish practice" in 1st Century Rome for Jewish husbands to put the needs of the wife above theirs?

Upvote 0