Chattanooga, Tennessee
✟5,424.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
Has anyone heard of Taylor Caldwell? I came across her name for the first time recently and someone said she's like what Ayn Rand would have been if she were a Christian.

Does she have any stuff on Mises.org?

Upvote 0

Nilloc

Senior Veteran
Mar 6, 2007
✟28,888.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Does she have any stuff on Mises.org?
I haven't checked yet, but I doubt it. I have no idea what her views are. She was only described as a Christian Ayn Rand. Now there's probably a number of ways to take that, but I immediately think of Rand's political views so that's why I asked.

Upvote 0

Nilloc

Senior Veteran
Mar 6, 2007
✟28,888.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0

MacFall

Agorist
Nov 24, 2007
Western Pennsylvania, USA
✟25,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It gets even clearer in the third book when
the revolutionary government ends up being just as bad or worse than the Capitol, and it is individual resistance to both of them that enables people to be free when it is all over.
Unfortunately the books get progressively less well-written as they go on. I think the publisher rushed publication after the unpredicted success of the first one, and they suffer for it. Still, well worth reading.

I'm going to the premiere of the movie tonight. I'll let y'all know how it holds up.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nilloc

Senior Veteran
Mar 6, 2007
✟28,888.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
So what does everyone think of Rand Paul? I ask because I just saw an Adam Kokesh video (which I would post but has quite a bit of profanity in and I don't wanna get banned. One time I got a warning for just using asterisks) where he plays a clip from Scott Horton, the guy behind anti-war.com, about Rand Paul. First the anti-war Horton said he'd like Rand Paul to be thrown from so high all of his bones would break. And then says: "He is a horrible, terrible person. It's arguable whether he's a human being at all" (which I think sounds like something Mr. Harry S. Plinkett would say about George Lucas). I don't know a lot about Rand's views, though I know he isn't as libertarian as Ron, but that really seems extreme.

Upvote 0

SmellsLikeCurlyFries

Social Capitalist
Jan 22, 2012
Chattanooga, Tennessee
✟5,424.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
So what does everyone think of Rand Paul? I ask because I just saw an Adam Kokesh video (which I would post but has quite a bit of profanity in and I don't wanna get banned. One time I got a warning for just using asterisks) where he plays a clip from Scott Horton, the guy behind anti-war.com, about Rand Paul. First the anti-war Horton said he'd like Rand Paul to be thrown from so high all of his bones would break. And then says: "He is a horrible, terrible person. It's arguable whether he's a human being at all" (which I think sounds like something Mr. Harry S. Plinkett would say about George Lucas). I don't know a lot about Rand's views, though I know he isn't as libertarian as Ron, but that really seems extreme.

Wow. That does sound pretty extreme...

My views on Rand are mixed. He's nowhere near the man his father is, that much is certain. But some of the things he's said have gotten me a bit concerned.

This article is a bit biased, but I can verify that the quotes are indeed accurate. Then there's this one from Reason, one of my favorite news/commentary sources, that basically comes to the same conclusion.

Upvote 0

DieHappy

and I am A W E S O M E !!
Jul 31, 2005
✟26,607.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I just read the first two chapters of The Hunger Games last night. When I realized that the story's antagonist was an evil totalitarian government that impoverishes people, forbids them from doing things that are completely harmless, and from owning weapons I thought: Yeah, I think I'm gonna like this.

I had no interest in a "young adult" book but, much like Harry Potter, my wife thrust it into my hands and said "read this because you're taking me to the movie when it come out."

Oh, the second amendment rants I went on as I read this.

I actually really liked the first book. It was well written. Like MacFall said, the writing suffers as it goes on and it's a shame because the story should only get better. I wonder if she was scared to make too many points about individual liberty, or just didn't know how to write the story of a 17 year old girl who doesn't want to be the hero, or I just don't know how to read the story of a 17 year old girl. I had to remind myself that she's a child and not Steven Segal several times during the third book.

I actually think either she or her publisher started to get scared of the whiny liberals accusing her of pushing republican propaganda if she spent any time on individual liberty.

Worth seeing in the theater.

Going tonight.

Upvote 0

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Oh my! There isn't anybody in the world that I would say that about! Even my worst enemies I see as human beings, and there is no one I would wish harm to merely because of ideological disagreements. OTOH, if they attack me, I do believe in retaliatory force. :doh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Nilloc

Senior Veteran
Mar 6, 2007
✟28,888.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Now if MacFall will just get me over the Romans 13:1-7 and Matthew 21:21 hump so I can become an agorist and get some bitcoins.
I came across this article earlier and it seems to pertain to your understandings of the render unto Caesar passage and paying taxes. I haven't read it yet, because it's over 24,000 words long, but I skimmed through it and it seems to deal with all of the NT passages that talk about the state. You may read this already. If so, sorry for bothering you with it.

Jesus Is an Anarchist, by James Redford -- anti-state.com

Last edited:
Upvote 0

zoink

:-)
Apr 13, 2004
West of the rockies
✟1,969.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Single
I came across this article earlier and it seems to pertain to your understandings of the render unto Caesar passage and paying taxes. I haven't read it yet, because it's over 24,000 words long, but I skimmed through it and it seems to deal with all of the NT passages that talk about the state. You may read this already. If so, sorry for bothering you with it.

Jesus Is an Anarchist, by James Redford -- anti-state.com
Yes, so bothersome. :p

Thanks, I'll take a peek. That one might be long enough to put on my kindle.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.