Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Alright, I am out of ideas on how to stop this - but each time I pray out loud, I yawn repeatedly. I have tried to stop it by adjusting my breathing, or taking a few minutes to focus before opening my mouth, or forcing a yawn before praying, and nothing works.
Does anyone else have this problem? Any tips on how to stop it from happening?

Reactions: HannahElizaW

bostonlass

sweet caroline ;)
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟6,873.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
geocajun said:
Alright, I am out of ideas on how to stop this - but each time I pray out loud, I yawn repeatedly. I have tried to stop it by adjusting my breathing, or taking a few minutes to focus before opening my mouth, or forcing a yawn before praying, and nothing works.

I dunno but my sister used to be able to burp the Our Father and Hail Mary without taking a breather.

:sorry:

Upvote 0

marciadietrich

Senior Veteran
Dec 5, 2002
Visit site
✟13,560.00
Faith
Catholic
Hi Jason,

Perhaps somehow this has become a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy as you worry about it more?

I have been self-concious about practically whistling when I say "true God from true God" on the tr's of the true's during the Creed. I never make that sound saying tr any other time but only during the Creed during Mass. The more I try not to do it the louder it seems. Most likely no one else but I am noticing it.

My husband said he stuttered as a kid and cured it by holding a pencil between his teeth and reading out loud. Something like that which might seem silly but cause your focus to shift away from the yawning problem.

Now I'm yawning ... :sleep: ... psychological power just thinking of it. :)

Marcia

Upvote 0

Rising_Suns

'Christ's desolate heart is in need of comfort'
Jul 14, 2002
Saint Louis, MO
✟24,335.00
Faith
Catholic
geocajun said:
Marcia, that could be - I could start to pray an "Our Father" right now, and break out in a yawn before I finish the first petition. Its becoming more frusterating

I have this same problem as well, but it only happens when I say the Lord's prayer, for some reason. I also only yawn one time though. I really can't explain it; it's odd I admit.

When I enter in prayer, I begin with the Lord's prayer and a Hail Mary. Another odd thing that always happens to me is I always begin being distracted, but as soon as I end the Lord's prayer and begin with the words "Hail Mary", my mind suddenly snaps out of the day dream and regains focus. another odd thing.

Blessings,

-Davide

Upvote 0

marciadietrich

Senior Veteran
Dec 5, 2002
Visit site
✟13,560.00
Faith
Catholic
Jason, I'm sure it will work itself out. Some of it may be you were just so comfortable with the prayer (not bored, just it is so familiar) that at a time you were tired it slipped in here and there, and then you noticed it happening.

Hope all is well with your family, I may need a baby holding fix again soon. :)

Marcia

Upvote 0

Irenaeus

Sub tuum praesidium confugimus!
May 16, 2004
USA
✟18,468.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Geo,

What helps me is standing up straight and looking at a statue or an icon. I usually kneel for my Rosary, but especially in the morning, I find standing in front of my little altar in my room helps me to wake up in the morning. Prostrations help, as do bowing and other reverential gestures, because they get my body into what my spirit is trying to say to God. If you have a bad back or other physical malady, maybe you can do something that is appropriate for you...crossing yourself like the Byzantines do, or whatever else.

St. Teresa of Avila (my God, I love her) once said, - with classicly robust vocabulary - that her mind was like a wild horse that she could not tame. She just could not pay attention at times. It was this fact that made her very much an iconodule; she loved pious pictures and exhorted her nuns to look at them, to recollect their minds and to help them get in the spirit of prayer. Her method of recollection is also very helpful.

One thing about the Desert Fathers is that many of them did not pray long, but they prayed often. This is what keeps the attention on God, keeping the commandment to pray always, yet not slipping into long-windedness and tiring the soul; even the soul, being one with our body, needs rest from the sometimes stressful activity of prayer (especially when it is dry, and arid) and maybe a nice walk, or reading, or whatever else helps you to meditate or recreate yourself, may be in order.

Maybe you should ask a Priest or maybe, if you are so blessed, a Confessor, about how you can improve your prayer life?

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟438,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
geocajun said:

:wave: Yep...I dont think I take enough air in when I pray.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BjBarnett

Viva il Papa!
Mar 18, 2004
Middlesboro, Kentucky
✟19,013.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
geocajun said:

wow i thought I was the only one that done that. if you find away to stop it make sure you tell me. I do it a lot during mass and its actually kinda embaressing.

Reactions: HannahElizaW
Upvote 0

holyorders

Miserable Pile of Secrets
Aug 27, 2004
✟3,631.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Rising_Suns said:
I have this same problem as well, but it only happens when I say the Lord's prayer, for some reason. I also only yawn one time though. I really can't explain it; it's odd I admit.

When I enter in prayer, I begin with the Lord's prayer and a Hail Mary. Another odd thing that always happens to me is I always begin being distracted, but as soon as I end the Lord's prayer and begin with the words "Hail Mary", my mind suddenly snaps out of the day dream and regains focus. another odd thing.

Blessings,

-Davide

Thats strange because I usually, not always, yawn when I say the Lord's prayer only. :confused:

Reactions: WarriorAngel
Upvote 0
geocajun said:

Geo sometimes I do as well. But then again sometimes I get a 'yawning attack' when I'm not even tired in the least. I wish I could provide an answer but I am searching for one also. This doesn't happen everytime, but it does get annyoning when it does and I can definitely relate.

Mark

Upvote 0
orangutan_yawn.jpg

howstuffworks.com has some interesting info:
http://science.howstuffworks.com/question572.htm

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Aria said:
In reading this thread, :D I've never yawned so much in my life.

Yes, that time of the evening.

See, EXACTLY! ... But at least now i don't feel strange for that happening to me while reading this either... oh the power of suggestion.... hehe

Mark

Upvote 0

pax

Veteran
Apr 3, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
✟2,780.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
That's really crazy. Whenever our priest prays the 2nd (I think) Eucharistic prayer I almost always yawn when he says "from East to West that a perfect offering may be made..." and I have no idea why. The more you think about it while you're at prayer, the more likely you are to do it since the mere thought of yawning can cause you to actually yawn. It probably started with classical conditioning and now that it's something you're more aware of it'll be difficult to stop thinking about it.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.