Jan 8, 2013
Los Angeles
Visit site
✟15,141.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I just came across this article talking about how the upcoming "Xbox 720" will have always-on DRM protection and may block used games via one-time-use activations codes. How would you all feel about this?

Personally, with the patent filing of how the Kinect can block the use of "unlicensed people" watching a rented or purchased movie, I think I'm going to go ahead and get a Playstation 4 now. Microsoft is going in the wrong direction (on various products), and the Xbox was the only one I was happy with. Welp, I have rid my life of Windows, and soon the Xbox.

A

Adaephon

I just came across this article talking about how the upcoming "Xbox 720" will have always-on DRM protection and may block used games via one-time-use activations codes. How would you all feel about this?

Personally, with the patent filing of how the Kinect can block the use of "unlicensed people" watching a rented or purchased movie, I think I'm going to go ahead and get a Playstation 4 now. Microsoft is going in the wrong direction (on various products), and the Xbox was the only one I was happy with. Welp, I have rid my life of Windows, and soon the Xbox.

It'd be totally futile. Retailers like GameStop and amazon and eBay would be furious, and it would just lead to a big revolt of console jail breaking and game piracy if they ever tried.

Upvote 0

Barricade24

Feb 3, 2012
In a Chair
✟8,627.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It'd be totally futile. Retailers like GameStop and amazon and eBay would be furious, and it would just lead to a big revolt of console jail breaking and game piracy if they ever tried.

Indeed. That entire idea doesn't sound very good to me.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Newer PC games can only be registered once making the preowned market typically non-existent. This is really not a new concept.

The thing is with consoles . you know the game is going to work .

and a huge industry was created with the resale of used games .

Upvote 0

NiobiumTragedy

Glorious Tragedy
Jun 15, 2009
USA
✟17,652.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The thing is with consoles . you know the game is going to work .

and a huge industry was created with the resale of used games .
Not sure what you're getting at here. All my PC games work just fine. :p

If your talking about spec requirements... typically PC gamers have a good enough machine to run all games on at least med.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Not sure what you're getting at here. All my PC games work just fine. :p

If your talking about spec requirements... typically PC gamers have a good enough machine to run all games on at least med.

Somewhere along the line Intel processor machines weren't packaged with the right hardware for the new games . or most of them . next one will be an AMD type machine for sure .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Thunder Peel

You don't eat a peacock until it's cooked.
Aug 17, 2008
Missouri
✟40,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I would be surprised if this actually sticks. Used games are a huge market and you wouldn't even be able to share games with friends or rent. There's so much that would kill the industry that I can't see any company sticking with this.

Upvote 0

NiobiumTragedy

Glorious Tragedy
Jun 15, 2009
USA
✟17,652.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Somewhere along the line Intel processor machines weren't packaged with the right hardware for the new games . or most of them . next one will be an AMD type machine for sure .
Uhh, all my machines are Intel and they work great with all my new and old games. All my benchmarks are high and I've had no hangs or crashes. I think you are quite misinformed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Uhh, all my machines are Intel and they work great with all my new and old games. All my benchmarks are high and I've had no hangs or crashes. I think you are quite misinformed.

Not really, but that's the way it's set up in my area . the AMDs have all the cool graphic cards that games work with and intels need upgrades .

Upvote 0

NiobiumTragedy

Glorious Tragedy
Jun 15, 2009
USA
✟17,652.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not really, but that's the way it's set up in my area . the AMDs have all the cool graphic cards that games work with and intels need upgrades .
In your area? Mate, graphics cards and processors are the same no matter what region you're in. Try looking at benchmarks and other facts about these processors when put side by side in testing.

ATI has a ton of issues in modern gaming. In fact, companies like Bethesda don't support them for those very reasons.

If you're talking about independent shops and in some cases, places like Future Shop/Best Buy (which you're foolish to buy from them anyway) that have a lot of premade machines, it's always better if you're a gamer to build one on your own or if you want someone else to build it, get it from the manufacturer websites which give you options to pick the hardware you want in the machine.

Upvote 0