...and you shall live...
Jul 9, 2010
Sometimes here, sometimes there
✟16,996.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
my 12 year old girl is fussy food wise and tonight I made her a recipe that used pasta eggs, cream parmesan cheese anda dash of white wine. She absolutely loves it would you feed a kid that? The alcohol is gone via heat on stove.

Unless there's some law against doing what you're doing I don't see a problem.

Fussy eaters do well to be forced out of such fussiness early on. If she doesn't eat something that's reasonable to expect her to eat make it clear that the food is all that's on offer and if she doesn't eat it she'll be hungry. Then stick to that and don't relent. Sooner or later she'll realise that she might as well eat it and learn to like it.

A woman I know made the mistake of letting her son dictate what he would and wouldn't eat. Before long all he would eat was McDonalds, and so after every meal time she would dutifully take him to McDonalds on the basis that "he has to eat something". I can't say I was surprised when he became the kid who was late to grow, always struggling to concentrate, surprisingly weak even for his fairly small stature and so on.

Upvote 0

Boidae

Senior Veteran
Aug 18, 2010
Central Florida
✟21,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
Fussy eaters do well to be forced out of such fussiness early on. If she doesn't eat something that's reasonable to expect her to eat make it clear that the food is all that's on offer and if she doesn't eat it she'll be hungry. Then stick to that and don't relent. Sooner or later she'll realise that she might as well eat it and learn to like it.

LoL... that never worked with me, I just wouldn't eat until the next day when a new "meal" was cooked.

I am still very picky in the things that I eat till this day, but then again I am also a cheap meal because I am very basic and don't get involved in fancy foods.

The reason for my being picky is because I had a food allergy when I was four years old and they took me off of every food that I was eating and I ate everything. It had to be slowly introduced back to me and over time I developed as a picky eater.

With that said, I have gotten better, but my wife wishes I would eat more stuff.

Upvote 0

Spiritlight

✰•.¸¸★•*´¨`*•.¸.✰
Apr 1, 2011
manitoba
✟23,118.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes. I don't think that is a bad meal. What kind of food is fussy about? I'd encourage her to try any healthy foods.
She is at ana ge where she is beginning to eat adult food more and growing out of her previous bland diet. She is wanting to try new tasty things.

Upvote 0

Pal Handy

Irregular Member
Jun 15, 2011
Southeast Michigan
✟20,508.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
my 12 year old girl is fussy food wise and tonight I made her a recipe that used pasta eggs, cream parmesan cheese anda dash of white wine. She absolutely loves it would you feed a kid that? The alcohol is gone via heat on stove.
My mouth is watering...mmmm
What a blessed daughter to have such a wonderful cook for a mom.

Upvote 0

Spiritlight

✰•.¸¸★•*´¨`*•.¸.✰
Apr 1, 2011
manitoba
✟23,118.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My mouth is watering...mmmm
What a blessed daughter to have such a wonderful cook for a mom.
Lol dont give my wife the credit it was my idea. Just noticed the male sign missing Ill fix that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
LoL... that never worked with me, I just wouldn't eat until the next day when a new "meal" was cooked.
Where allergies are concerned it can be different but with my kids if they didn't eat something for dinner they got given it for breakfast. If they didn't eat it then they were given it for lunch and so forth. They soon learnt they may as well eat the food so they could get something else for the next meal. If they consistantly said they didn't like something we would take that into consideration but when one week they liked sultanas but didn't the next week that was ignored.

Upvote 0

seeingeyes

Nov 29, 2011
Backwoods, Ohio
✟27,860.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In 29 states of the US. In the others, it's not. [In my state, it apparently varies by municipality.]

Yes, you are correct. I was apparently including 'for religious purposes' in my count but even still that excludes 9 states.

I feel bad for European immigrants. :doh:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

contango

...and you shall live...
Jul 9, 2010
Sometimes here, sometimes there
✟16,996.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Depending on just how fussy the child is they could go a long while without eating at that rate.

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
She is at ana ge where she is beginning to eat adult food more and growing out of her previous bland diet. She is wanting to try new tasty things.
I wonder if she is also at the age where she is creating her own obsessions with food in not wanting to gain weight. Or maintaining control over something. A lot of kids do at that age.

I don't think obsessive carefulness can prevent alcoholism. Just don't make alcohol a common topic of conversation in the house. If you show fear, she could conclude you won't understand if she tries some. Many parents serve a glass of wine with fancy dinners, and the kids don't become alcoholics.

On another note, I see a lot of people dependent who also have some sugar imbalance issues. Getting on a roll with sugar and quickly-digested carbs can set up dependencies that are similar to alcoholism, and have some overlaps. Keep stabilizing foods in the expected list -- nut butters, cheeses, soy&legumes, higher protein pastas, high-lysine products, or whatever you like to use.

If you see her craving sugar, I'd consider that more of a precursor. Get her some turkey ham/bacon, for your own peace of mind... slightly closer to your standards than ham. She might need more protein than you do right now.

Upvote 0

stormdancer0

Do not be so open-minded that your brain falls out
Apr 19, 2008
USA
✟14,334.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I must reinforce the fact that the thought that alcohol is cooked off is a myth. There would be significant amounts of alcohol still in your pasta dish.

If it's just a splash, I wouldn't worry.

But I have a similar problem with my kids. I have one who will eat nearly anything (God bless him!!) and two who won't eat barely anything. One is autistic, and they both object to a lot of foods purely by the texture. The little one gets it from the big one, I think. But they are both nearly vegetarians, only without the veggies. They eat bread, rice, potatoes, and that's about it. The younger one doesn't eat anything with cheese or milk in it, no meats (other than sausage), and nothing with a sauce. No pizza, mac and cheese, spaghetti, pizza, etc. He will eat chicken nuggets but only the kind with processed chicken, not the kind with real chicken meat. He won't drink anything but iced tea. And that's not even the autistic one!!

The one great thing is, they will all eat every piece of fruit in sight. It took us several years to get the youngest ones to understand that the produce section was NOT an all you can eat buffet. And they all really like some veggies, but only raw. Like green beans, corn, and snow peas.

Sorry, off topic. But my kids, honestly, would rather go hungry than eat something they don't like.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

theophilus40

Nov 6, 2012
✟8,807.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Using alcohol in cooking isn't wrong in itself but sometimes something that is permissible should be avoided if it could be a stumbling block for others. If your daughter sees you using wine when you are cooking she might come to the conclusion that there is nothing wrong with drinking it.
Do not, for the sake of food, destroy the work of God. Everything is indeed clean, but it is wrong for anyone to make another stumble by what he eats. It is good not to eat meat or drink wine or do anything that causes your brother (or your daughter) to stumble.
(Romans 14:20-21 ESV)

Upvote 0

Aibrean

Honest. Maybe too Honest.
Mar 18, 2007
Xenia, Ohio
Visit site
✟15,879.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Proverbs 22:6
English Standard Version (ESV)
Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.

If your daughter sees you using wine, use it as a tool for instruction. At 12 she is certainly old enough to understand right and wrong as well as the concept of abuse.

Upvote 0

bluegreysky

Can't adult today.
Sep 11, 2006
Saint Augustine, FL
✟22,012.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Well once you cook it, it's not really "wine" anymore.. but if it makes you feel better, when I was 8-13 I had a nervous condition of some sort and I always got tummy aches so my mom would give me like 1/4 cup of this Manechewitz 3% alcohol grape "wine" that was sweet but definitely had some stuff in it, to settle my nerves and stomach.
And I turned out just fine.
Sort of.

Upvote 0

seeingeyes

Nov 29, 2011
Backwoods, Ohio
✟27,860.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I just realized that I never directly answered your question OP. Sorry.

Yes, I would feed a kid this. I wouldn't waste fabulous cooking on a three year old who would just as soon eat mac 'n' cheese, but older kids, absolutely.

With one caveat: I would be teaching them how to cook it so that when I am old and decrepit they won't be feeding me mac 'n' cheese.

It's an investment. ;)

Upvote 0