Would you be put off dating someone with health problems?

Scottish Knight

Veteran
Feb 17, 2010
Scotland
✟10,580.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I'd be interested in hearing your views: Say, if someone had a health condition, eg bouts of bad eczema, would that put you off dating that person? Or if someone had a family history of allergies and health problems (hence a liklihood of it being passed onto the next generation) would that make any difference when going out with someone?

Andrew12

A Knight of the Lord
Nov 4, 2010
Mainstreet, AnyTown
Visit site
✟17,283.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
nope. my criteria being met:

1. Christian
2.Non-Smoker
3.polite
4. tolerating my old fashionedness and goofiness.

then No, health problems would not affect how i would view someone. :)

Also they must be willing to work with their problem, like a diabetic needs to regularly take insulin, meds that are needed are taken appropriately. :)

Upvote 0

Scottish Knight

Veteran
Feb 17, 2010
Scotland
✟10,580.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

1. Christian
2.Non-Smoker
3.polite

Also they must be willing to work with their problem, like a diabetic needs to regularly take insulin, meds that are needed are taken appropriately. :)

A pretty short list you've got, and a good last point :thumbsup:.

Upvote 0

SplendidTree

Legend
Aug 8, 2009
✟53,000.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private

1. Christian
2.Non-Smoker
3.polite

I totally agree with this!

Upvote 0
M

Marycita

I'd be interested in hearing your views: Say, if someone had a health condition, eg bouts of bad eczema, would that put you off dating that person? Or if someone had a family history of allergies and health problems (hence a liklihood of it being passed onto the next generation) would that make any difference when going out with someone?
Absolutely not

Upvote 0

MacFall

Agorist
Nov 24, 2007
Western Pennsylvania, USA
✟25,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It depends on the specific problem. I come from a family with bad hearts and high cholesterol, so I would be reluctant to marry someone who would reinforce those genes (and I wouldn't date someone who I would not at least consider marrying). Other than that, I haven't really thought about it. But I was once in love with a girl with a chronic adrenal deficiency, so clearly I can't give a blanket "no" to the question in the thread's title.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Nom De Guerre

Who amongst you doesn't see life as permanent?
May 6, 2005
Location, Location.
✟39,599.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Yes, yes it would. I have allergies, so I can understand those though; well, it would depend on the severity... like if you're allergic to being outside, like my buddy's fiancee, I probably wouldn't want to spend time with you so much. I also understand it's nothing you can control, but everybody has their own preference and those are some of my conditions; that being said, if it was something that they merely took a pill or shot for then I probably wouldn't mind.

This girl I was dating was anemic, she had it mostly under control; there would be times when she would get tired and feel the lack of iron in her system though, it wasn't hard to fix however.

Upvote 0

Spirit_Star

Dec 14, 2008
USA
✟8,107.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It would depend. I would not date someone who was allergic to dogs (unless medication helped) but any other allergies I could cope with I sometimes have seasonal allergries myself. I would not date someone who had an STD.

Other then that it would just depend on the specific health problem. Everyone has the potential to end up with a health issue or face one.

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It would completely depend on just WHAT the "health problem" was. I mean, everyone is going to suffer from SOME health issues sooner or later. Just because you're healthy at 25 doesn't mean you'll be healthy at 35. And how is a person with health issues any less deserving or wanting of love and romance?

I can't imagine anyone rejecting someone they liked, just because the person had allergies. Seriously? Now, if they had AIDS or something that could kill me, I'd be a little more hesitant.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Blank123

Legend
Dec 6, 2003
✟56,875.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
depends. if it something life-threatening or terminal, I'm not sure that I'm a strong enough person to start a relationship like that. if it developed after a relationship started, thats obviously a different story.

I think most people have some little oddity or other with their health or a disability of some kind. And as a disabled person myself it'd be silly to demand any SO of mine be the picture of perfection. All I want is a guy who takes care of himself.

Upvote 0

Neve

Always even
Jul 27, 2006
Corona
✟14,608.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Everyone is going to get health problems eventually (if they live long enough). My answer is it "depends" on what it is.

If it is something big like AIDs or MS, then that would be a turn-off. But something small like allergies or anemia (which is easily cured in some cases) would be fine.

Upvote 0

MacFall

Agorist
Nov 24, 2007
Western Pennsylvania, USA
✟25,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I can't imagine anyone rejecting someone they liked, just because the person had allergies. Seriously?

If they were severe enough that that person couldn't DO ANYTHING with me, then I would certainly have a hard time falling in love with that person. I'm a very active, outdoorsy and adventurous person, and it just wouldn't seem right to me to have a mate who could not enjoy those things with me.

But that's a VERY extreme and a very broad form of allergies. I could deal with most cases much more easily. I would give up peanut butter for someone who couldn't kiss someone who had eaten peanut butter if it came to that. I would give up my pipe and cigars for someone who was allergic to smoke. I would learn to enjoy more indoor activities during the spring time for someone who got hay fever easily. So I guess it's a sliding scale, and I really can't identify the point at which our lifestyles would be too different to make for a good partnership.

Upvote 0

K9_Trainer

Unusually unusual, absolutely unpredictable
May 31, 2006
✟18,437.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Depends entirely on what it is. If its genetic and skips generations and could be passed on, then it doesn't matter because I don't want kids in the first place.

If its contagious, the answer is no. Food allergies are fine, seasonal allergies are fine, animal allergies or allergies to the outdoors that make him unable to really go out I will draw a line. Stuff like eczema doesn't matter. As far as physical health problems, if he can keep up with me (which isn't always an easy task), its fine.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

stan1472

Feb 24, 2005
Chicago
✟2,090.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
depends. if it something life-threatening or terminal, I'm not sure that I'm a strong enough person to start a relationship like that. if it developed after a relationship started, thats obviously a different story.

I think most people have some little oddity or other with their health or a disability of some kind. And as a disabled person myself it'd be silly to demand any SO of mine be the picture of perfection. All I want is a guy who takes care of himself.

I didn't know you were disabled. But I think you're right, we all have some kind of physical/mental issue going on.

Upvote 0
S

Sunset2009

Naturally, yes. Illness is never a turn-on. And we are more drawn to people who would reproduce the healthiest offspring, so illnesses, health problems (whether mental or physical) are a big, big turn-off to most people, naturally.

My boytoy has some health problems. Nothing big at all, just that his heart doesn't always send out the right signals or something (??idk), making it difficult for him to exercise for long periods of time. And then a couple times a year he has bad palpatation spells. Now, it is a MAJOR turn-off to me. And he is so perfect in every other way imaginable, that is honestly the only thing about him that is a turn-off. I would never say that it BUGS me, because it doesn't affect me or our relationship on any level, but instinctly I'm kind of saying to myself, maybe he wouldn't produce the healthiest offspring? I know, that is wretchedly horrible, lol. Obviously it did not make me not want to date him/be with him.

Now, if it was a much bigger health issue, he was in and out of the hospital, he was always sick or something, then no, I wouldn't begin to date him.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tink

our God is faithful. ♥
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2004
Texas
✟56,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't think I could honestly answer this one way or another. It would completely and totally depend on what sort of illness, how well we matched one another in other aspects, etc.

I have actually dated a man who had an STD. We didn't have sex, so it didn't bother me. Had we gotten married, I would have had to take extra steps to make sure I didn't contract it. It wasn't a deadly one, and can be kept under control with medication as far as I know. He was completely up front with me about it and I did research about it so that I would be knowledgeable where it was concerned.

Upvote 0