Would marry someone outside your race?

Would you marry someone outside your race?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Angeldove97

I trust in You
Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2004
Indiana
✟143,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes- although with my family I know it would have caused issues. I've had guys who were a different race than myself that I had an interest in college, but my husband is the same race that I am- although culturally we are different from one another (he's more American and I'm more American/Slavic).

Upvote 0

LovelyWife3

Jun 7, 2014
✟15,130.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have learned that though it seems simple this question is hard to answer until you meet the person you plan to marry. I grew up around White and Hispanic people, so I assumed that I would marry someone White or Hispanic (I am African American). There are very few interracial marriages in my family and in my home church I can only think of 3-5 interracial couples/out of 200 members (I have been at the church since I was 12 years old). When I met my husband I had never met anyone from Sri Lanka so I knew very little about the country and honestly communication was hard because of his accent..... Well 3 years later we are married and though we have similar values the cultural differences have been a challenge. It has been hard to mix American, African American, and Sri Lankan culture. Oh the other hand we have grown up in 2 different parts of the world (with a 24 1/2 hour time difference) and we have so many little things in common that I never expected!

Overall I realize that everyone is mixed with something and the Bible is sooo full of diversity, and sometimes God's best for us does not always come in the appearance/race that we would expect. Long story short it does not hurt to date or even marry someone from another race :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,621.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes but it depends upon our equation and faith we share..

Yes.

There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. -- Galatians 3

Here there is no Gentile or Jew, circumcised or uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave or free, but Christ is all, and is in all.-- Colossians 3

Paul did not say, "Jews and Gentiles worshiping together in harmony." In Christ there is no Greek or Jew.

But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light. Once you were not a people, but now you are God's people -- 1 Peter 2

Excuses of human culture fail for Christians, because we are a culture, and our culture obviates human cultural differences among us.

“Truly I tell you,” Jesus replied, “no one who has left home or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or fields for me and the gospel ill fail to receive a hundred times as much in this present age: homes, brothers, sisters, mothers, children and fields—along with persecutions—and in the age to come eternal life. -- Mark 10

To leave "home or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or fields" is to leave one's original worldly culture and to become a citizen of the kingdom of Heaven, a holy nation, God's people.

I learned worshiping with Christians in the Far East that they were my culture. I learned that our common belief in Christ in the same "deep things" of honor, justice, good, and evil far overcame superficial differences of food choices and musical styles.

Upvote 0

OBEY

Joel
Oct 4, 2004
North Carolina
✟1,135.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are actually Christians on this forum who voted no? How sad. Even though my fiancé and I are both white, I often wonder why there's still so much judgement about interracial marriage even in America, particularly in areas of the south like where I live. I sometimes feel like people here are actually more accepting towards gay marriage than they are interracial marriage. It's bizarre to me.

Upvote 0

Waddler

Live a story worth telling well.
Jul 19, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
✟27,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There are actually Christians on this forum who voted no? How sad. Even though my fiancé and I are both white, I often wonder why there's still so much judgement about interracial marriage even in America, particularly in areas of the south like where I live. I sometimes feel like people here are actually more accepting towards gay marriage than they are interracial marriage. It's bizarre to me.

You're assuming that the "no" votes are some kind of prejudice, rather than a preference. There are Christians who won't marry Christians who are fat, skinny, bald, hairy, or any kind of "fill in the blank" you could imagine. I don't find women of races outside my own to be attractive. I'm not prejudiced against them solely because of their race; if I found a woman outside my race who was attractive, I might consider it, but my experience has led me to believe those are few and far between.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dmpeace

May 26, 2007
✟17,874.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

I've seen a Christian on here say he doesn't think there is a hell, many people on here deny Christian essentials and think they are still Christian.

Upvote 0

OBEY

Joel
Oct 4, 2004
North Carolina
✟1,135.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You're assuming that the "no" votes are some kind of prejudice, rather than a preference. There are Christians who won't marry Christians who are fat, skinny, bald, hairy, or any kind of "fill in the blank" you could imagine. I don't find women of races outside my own to be attractive. I'm not prejudiced against them solely because of their race; if I found a woman outside my race who was attractive, I might consider it, but my experience has led me to believe those are few and far between.

Idk. I've always felt the "I don't find women of color attractive" argument kind of offensive. I hear it from my friends sometimes and it always makes me cringe a little bit. Even if it is a personal opinion, I feel like that sort of statement should be kept to oneself.

Upvote 0

Moonrise Lu

Jul 23, 2014
Texas
✟9,437.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I can't quote RDKirk for some reason, but I think his answer is spot on here. There should be no prejudices between people based on race. We are all equal in God's eyes and we should not look down upon someone for their ethnicity or race. I actually always didn't like the term "race" cause I feel like the only race there is is the "human race".

Idk. I've always felt the "I don't find women of color attractive" argument kind of offensive. I hear it from my friends sometimes and it always makes me cringe a little bit. Even if it is a personal opinion, I feel like that sort of statement should be kept to oneself.

Although I do think it's totally fine for everyone to have their own preferences to what they find attractive. Everyone is different, some people find certain features attractive and I don't think it should be considered "offensive" just cause a certain type of features don't do it for them. I'm white and I have rarely found men of my race to be attractive to me. I don't see what's offensive about saying that, and I don't see what's offensive if someone is saying it about a race other than their own. If they said they don't like being around [insert race here] simply because they are that race, well that is a completely different story! But if they don't desire to date someone of a certain race because they just aren't attracted to them, there is nothing wrong about that. I think it's important to find your spouse attractive.

depends on their culture. There are American whites that wouldn't marry European whites... Culture is a big part. I find it hard to adapt to Americans

I also think this is a big factor. Sometimes different race means different culture. My boyfriend is a different race than me but culturally we are both simply American. There are a few small things that make us culturally different, as his parents weren't born here, so he was raised with different traditions at home and first language, but he grew up in the same kinds of schools, in the same kinds of neighborhoods, being exposed to the same types of things for the most part. Most importantly, our values and faith match up. That is the most important thing I think in whether you should decide to marry someone.

Upvote 0

.Mikha'el.

7x13=28
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
May 22, 2004
British Columbia
✟1,006,833.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I have no problem with interracial relationships. One of my friends from elementary school met and married someone of a different ethnicity, and I couldn't be happier for him. With that being said, they're not for me, not because I don't find women of all races objectively beautiful, but because I like to have as much in common with a future spouse as I possibly can, and that represents such a huge difference that I can't see myself attracted to non-Caucasian women.

Upvote 0